Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL
Balance Transfer Question

I am considering applying for this card and have a question regarding balance transfers. I would like to take advantage of the opportunity to receive bonus points for $5,000 in balance transfers. My specific question is this: Am I able to transfer the balances of ONLY the other credit cards I have? Or, is it possible to transfer the balances off my sister's credit cards as well? I ask b/c I only have ~$1,000 currently on one of other cards and according to the terms & conditions, you only have 30 days to take advantage of this bonus.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:16 pm
HCA

Originally Posted by BC300
I am considering applying for this card and have a question regarding balance transfers. I would like to take advantage of the opportunity to receive bonus points for $5,000 in balance transfers. My specific question is this: Am I able to transfer the balances of ONLY the other credit cards I have? Or, is it possible to transfer the balances off my sister's credit cards as well? I ask b/c I only have ~$1,000 currently on one of other cards and according to the terms & conditions, you only have 30 days to take advantage of this bonus.
1. I don't think you can balance transfer to your sister's card.
2. Even you only have $1,000 balance, I beleive you can overpay and transfer $5,000.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:03 pm
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Just to confirm, $20,000 in spend on the Travelocity MC earns 40,000 points which can be redeemed for an $800 credit towards ANY purchase at Travelocity?
Yes that is correct, but to get a full 4%, you need to cash in at $400 increments.
If you have a 1000 flight, you should only use $800 (40,000 points) and pay the remaining $200, because the last $200 would cost you 15,000 points a 2.66% return on the last $200 and 3.64% overall. Still not bad.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by g50
Yes that is correct, but to get a full 4%, you need to cash in at $400 increments.
If you have a 1000 flight, you should only use $800 (40,000 points) and pay the remaining $200, because the last $200 would cost you 15,000 points a 2.66% return on the last $200 and 3.64% overall. Still not bad.
Gotcha. So there's definitely no limit to the number of 20k point/$400 credits you can stack? The T&C I read didn't seem to reference that. And a flight doesn't have to be involved, right? Can you just redeem for hotel stays if you want? Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:23 pm

So have people generally been happy with this card? I have been considering it as a backup card to my SPG Amex. Just to confirm, $20,000 in spend on the Travelocity MC earns 40,000 points which can be redeemed for an $800 credit towards ANY purchase at Travelocity?
Correct.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:29 pm
g50

Originally Posted by mia
The easiest course would be to enforce the card Terms & Conditions as written. The terms cap redemptions at 20,000 points, $400. There's no provision for stacking multiples of 20,000 to buy more expensive trips. Stacking seems to be a remnant of an older Travelocity program.
If they did this you could split up your trip one night at a time etc...

Originally Posted by mia
Beyond that Barclay's could impose an annual point earning cap,
I hope not but I would think they would do this first.

So there's definitely no limit to the number of 20k point/$400 credits you can stack? The T&C I read didn't seem to reference that.
I don't remember but if mia says it's there, I would think there. They are currently letting us to stack them.

And a flight doesn't have to be involved, right? Can you just redeem for hotel stays if you want? Thanks.
Hotels, car rentals, cruises and even activities.

Originally Posted by themicah
But I don't think you can use points from this card to pay for a non-prepaid hotel res on Travelocity.
You can select a rack rate room on travelocity and the hotel knows your room is a rack rate. This is why I think you can get hotel points.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by g50
If they did this you could split up your trip one night at a time etc...

I don't remember but if mia says it's there, I would think there. They are currently letting us to stack them.

Hotels, car rentals, cruises and even activities.
Thanks again. I think I'll give the Travelocity Visa a shot. I'll continue to use my SPG Amex for premium cabin international rewards, but the Visa looks like a great option for hotels and domestic airfare. I just hope they don't change the terms shortly after I sign up. lol
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Originally Posted by mia
I think it largely depends on the type of booking. If you merely make a reservation through Travelocity, points will often still be awarded because they are functioning as a travel agent. However, if you purchase a prepaid stay Travelocity is functioning as a consolidator and points typically are not awarded.

do you mean that hotel reservations booked through Travelocity earns hotel points but hotel stays paid for by Travelocity rewards points doesn't?

If you can get frequent flyer miles/hotel loyalty points for flights/hotels that you booked with your Travelocity rewards points as well, that would make this card sick!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by somdave2005
do you mean that hotel reservations booked through Travelocity earns hotel points but hotel stays paid for by Travelocity rewards points doesn't?

If you can get frequent flyer miles/hotel loyalty points for flights/hotels that you booked with your Travelocity rewards points as well, that would make this card sick!
If you buy through Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com etc, you usually CANNOT get hotel rewards points. You may put down your rewards number but you will only get points for things you buy while you're there and not for the actual room.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by somdave2005

You are YMMV on hotels, but you will definitely get airline miles for flights.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Aitchly
You are YMMV on hotels, but you will definitely get airline miles for flights.

even for travelocity reward redemptions?

btw I got approved but I'm still waiting for my card to come. Can't wait to go to town with this card
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:39 pm

Anybody thought of paying their taxes with this card? You pay a convenience fee of 1.95%, but with rewards of 4% you still come out 2% ahead.

"Simply use your MasterCard® card to pay your taxes at payUSAtax and you’ll enjoy a reduced convenience fee of 1.95%."

http://www.mastercard.com/us/persona...nts/index.html
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:30 pm
g50

Originally Posted by mia
I think it largely depends on the type of booking. If you merely make a reservation through Travelocity, points will often still be awarded because they are functioning as a travel agent. However, if you purchase a prepaid stay Travelocity is functioning as a consolidator and points typically are not awarded.
Originally Posted by paramount
If you buy through Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com etc, you usually CANNOT get hotel rewards points. You may put down your rewards number but you will only get points for things you buy while you're there and not for the actual room.
I am going with mia on this one. For the most part Travelocity is nothing like Priceline and Hotels.com. It is a travel agency. Book a rack rate and I feel sure you will get your upgrades and points. I never had a problem getting points when I booked through Centurion travel. Don't you get points when booking through your corporate travel agency?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by g50
I am going with mia on this one. For the most part Travelocity is nothing like Priceline and Hotels.com. It is a travel agency. Book a rack rate and I feel sure you will get your upgrades and points. I never had a problem getting points when I booked through Centurion travel. Don't you get points when booking through your corporate travel agency?
I think people are getting really confused about whether this conversation is about earning Travelocity rewards, using Travelocity rewards or booking through Travelocity in general, so let's break it down.

Will this earn 4% or 8% rewards if booked through Travelocity using the card:
  • Prepaid "Goodbuy" hotels and flight+hotel packages: 8% (because Travelocity charges your card)
  • Postpaid hotel reservations: 4% (because the hotel--not Travelocity--charges your card)
  • Plane tickets: 8% (because Travelocity charges your card)

Can I use points from this card to pay for:
  • Prepaid "Goodbuy" hotels and flight+hotel packages: yes (because Travelocity charges your card)
  • Postpaid hotel reservations: no (because the hotel--not Travelocity--charges your card, so there are no Travelocity charges to offset with points)
  • Plane tickets: yes (because Travelocity charges your card)

Will I get other frequent traveler benefits (points, upgrades, etc.) for travel booked through Travelocity (whether or not points were used to offset the charges):
  • Hotel points and upgrades for prepaid "Goodbuy" hotels and the hotel portion of flight+hotel packages: probably not (because it's considered a special voucher rate
  • Hotel points and upgrades for postpaid hotel reservations: probably yes (I would think it would be considered like any other travel agency booking)
  • Airline miles for regular plane tickets: almost certainly yes (just like any other regularly priced ticket)
  • Airline miles for flight portion of flight+hotel packages: maybe (I think these are sometimes booked in classes that don't earn miles, but they probably usually end up earning miles in practice)

All of this is based on how I generally understand things to work. I don't have the card, however, and have never tried to collect hotel points for any hotel reservation (prepaid or postpaid) made on Travelocity, so I have no personal experience. If I'm wrong about any of the above, I'm sure someone will correct me.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
Originally Posted by themicah
My understanding is that from and after February 22 payments are supposed to be applied to the highest rate balance first (whereas before payments were applied to the lowest rate balance first, so you had to pay off the whole 0% APR BT before you could pay off your 20% APR purchases). How that will work in practice, however, I'm not sure. It's not clear to me how grace periods will be affected, for example.
I'm not an expert, but I agree with this statement that payments are applied to the highest interest balance (so the 0% balance transfer will get paid last), but I think the key is that interest on other purchases will accrue immediately since there is a balance carried on the card (no grace period for purchases).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.