Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Visa or Mastercard that has good transferability to airline miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2009, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL (Plat), FL, AA, CO, Priority Club (Plat), Best Western, HHonors, Wyndham, Marriott, Hertz

I am looking for something like the Starwood preferred American Express Card that allows accumulation of miles to be credited at a decent conversion rate to airline travel. My preferred airlines are NW/DL, AA, Southwest and FL. I used to have the Diners Club Mastercard but let it lapse and now it looks as though that option is gone. I pursued a Wyndham Rewards Mastercard but that, too, seems to be obsolete. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 4, 2009, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by unclericky
I am looking for something like the Starwood preferred American Express Card that allows accumulation of miles to be credited at a decent conversion rate to airline travel. My preferred airlines are NW/DL, AA, Southwest and FL. I used to have the Diners Club Mastercard but let it lapse and now it looks as though that option is gone. I pursued a Wyndham Rewards Mastercard but that, too, seems to be obsolete. Any suggestions?
There is no Visa or Mastercard that can transfer to those programs you want. AFAIK, one can still get a corporate Diners Club - it would meet your needs best.

As for other cards:
Merrill+ Visa points can be transferred 1:1 to BA - no annual fee
Chase Flex Rewards can be transferred 1:.8 to BA or CO - no annual fee
Amtrak Guest Rewards points can be transferred 1:1 to CO and a couple others

My suggestion is you use the SPG Amex everywhere you can, and choose either AA, WN, or FL to get that airline's Visa/Mastercard for everything else. I would suggest AA, as AA miles earned from all sources count towards million mile status - eventually you can earn lifetime AA status from CC spend.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage
My suggestion is the Charles Schwab 2% cash back VISA -- I've had great success converting the cash into airline tickets, or most anything else related to travel.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand why you think the WyndhamRewards MC is "obsolete". If you go to www.wyndhamrewards.com, click on Earn, then at the left there is a link for the MC, which resolves to:

http://www.wyndhamrewards.com/earn/mastercard/

It says "login to apply online", so I guess you can't apply until you've set up a WynhamRewards account (but it costs nothing to do so).

Except: If you click on the Terms and Conditions link, it gives an application form! But it still requires your WynhamRewards member number there, so even though can look at the app this way first, you still should set up an WyndhamRewards account before you apply for the card (since who knows if they'll automatically assign you an account correctly if you don't do it yourself first?).

... As for Diners Club, they are not taking new applications for personal cards, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask if you can reinstate your old card, if it hasn't been too long. If they don't treat that as a "new application" by whatever methodology disallows them from doing "new applications" (supposedly it has to do with them trying to sell the program to another company, not with technical app stuff), then maybe you could get a recently-enough cancelled card reinstated even if you can't apply for a brand new one. (You'll never find out unless you try, because I haven't heard of any one else on FT being in the same situation and thus we have no track record of whether this can work or not.)
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:46 am
hs1

Chase Sapphire Preferred transfers to Southwest, United, CO and a variety of hotels programs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.