Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Computer Chip & Card Use In Europe

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2009, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Computer Chip & Card Use In Europe

I've done a search on this site to check discussions on credit card use in Europe and any rejection of cards that don't have a chip in them and there does not seem to have been any mention of this since last summer.

Recently, I've had friends travelling in the UK and in Amsterdam and various areas in France who have had their U.S. $ Visa and Amex cards refused by vendors as the cards did not have the chip in them. Am curious if more travellers may be experiencing this problem recently?

I am aware that vendors are supposed to still accept the other cards but some are not. It has been suggested to carry a printout from the chip and pin website showing vendors are supposed to accept these cards but not sure if there's another alternative.

My local HSBC bank told me when I questioned them about my Visa and Mastercards for upcoming travel they advised me to carry cash in case my cards without the chip were refused! Kind of defeats the purpose of credit cards.

Would appreciate any feedback from other travellers who may have experienced any difficulties with this recently. Also, any problems with Amex cards in Europe if they did not have the chip

Thanks in advance!
Old May 21, 2009, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regardless who is the issuer, US-issued cards will NOT work if the vendors dont have readers to read the ancient technology, the mag tape that is.

The vendors which are equipped with the readers for the mag tape can still accept the US-issued cards. However, MANY MANY smaller vendors are NOT equipped with the readers.

Also, if you rent a car, make sure you fill up before weekend or holidays because ALL 24hrs gas stations are NOT manned but take Smartchip cards only. Toll booths after hours or during holidays are NOT manned and only take Smartchip cards, even Cash would not work.

We were almost stranded on the road when we did not realize it was a long weekend in Switzerland last May.

Currently I dont know any US issuer issues cards in US, that with Smartchip.

There is no solution other than have some cash on hand to meet emergency needs.
Old May 21, 2009, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I see a chip in my American Express Blue. Would it work in Europe?
Old May 21, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by mkpkmp
Nope
Old May 22, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by mcroucher
I've done a search on this site to check discussions on credit card use in Europe and any rejection of cards that don't have a chip in them and there does not seem to have been any mention of this since last summer.

Recently, I've had friends travelling in the UK and in Amsterdam and various areas in France who have had their U.S. $ Visa and Amex cards refused by vendors as the cards did not have the chip in them. Am curious if more travellers may be experiencing this problem recently?

I am aware that vendors are supposed to still accept the other cards but some are not. It has been suggested to carry a printout from the chip and pin website showing vendors are supposed to accept these cards but not sure if there's another alternative.

My local HSBC bank told me when I questioned them about my Visa and Mastercards for upcoming travel they advised me to carry cash in case my cards without the chip were refused! Kind of defeats the purpose of credit cards.

Would appreciate any feedback from other travellers who may have experienced any difficulties with this recently. Also, any problems with Amex cards in Europe if they did not have the chip

Thanks in advance!
The only merchants that don't take the non chip cards are merchants that are solo, switch, electron, maestro, etc card stores. These are not credit cards, they are debit cards. Unless you have a current (checking) account in the country you are traveling you will not have one.

It is the same as merchants in the USA that only accept pin based transactions. Yes I live in the EU 6 months out of the year, so this is not just speculation, but experience.

For these merchants along with the very high % of businesses that are cash only. You will need cash. You can get that without an ATM fee at many bank ATM's (Natwest, HSBC, Bank of Ireland, DB, etc.). The fees will come from your bank if any.
Old May 22, 2009, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Regardless who is the issuer, US-issued cards will NOT work if the vendors dont have readers to read the ancient technology, the mag tape that is.

The vendors which are equipped with the readers for the mag tape can still accept the US-issued cards. However, MANY MANY smaller vendors are NOT equipped with the readers.

Also, if you rent a car, make sure you fill up before weekend or holidays because ALL 24hrs gas stations are NOT manned but take Smartchip cards only. Toll booths after hours or during holidays are NOT manned and only take Smartchip cards, even Cash would not work.

We were almost stranded on the road when we did not realize it was a long weekend in Switzerland last May.

There is no solution other than have some cash on hand to meet emergency needs.
Mag stripes are not ancient or antiquated just older, more reliable and not as privacy invasive.

If you are traveling in Switzerland, simply purchase a loadable card at a supermarket. Similar to a Visa Cash card in the USA.
Old May 22, 2009, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by mkpkmp
That is NOT chip in your card. That is a proximity emitter (contactless card). No it is not similar and will not work.
Old May 22, 2009, 7:52 pm

I had the same problem a year and 1/2 ago in the U.K. Upon my return to the U.S. I called both my Master Card and my Vista Card customer service and asked if I could have a card with a chip. Their reply was that the U.S. does not issue that type of card. Anyone who travels abroad should be award of this.
Old May 22, 2009, 8:06 pm

You don't need one!
Old May 22, 2009, 8:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
If you are traveling in Switzerland, simply purchase a loadable card at a supermarket. Similar to a Visa Cash card in the USA.
Any advise re Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Austria, or Poland? We'll be travelling later in the summer, and are anxious to know where these loadable cards are sold. Thanks!
Old May 22, 2009, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Any advise re Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Austria, or Poland? We'll be travelling later in the summer, and are anxious to know where these loadable cards are sold. Thanks!
I just returned from Barcelona and didn't have any problems using my plain Jane Schwab Visa anywhere. All the machines I went to were able to read both technologies. I did get cash for cabs, etc. But didn't use tons of it.
Old May 23, 2009, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
You will not need a chip and pin card in these countries. Any merchant that takes VISA or MASTERCARD will have a chip and swipe terminal.

What people dont understand is that there are merchants in some countries that only accept SOLO, SWITCH, ELECTRON, MAESTRO cards. These are similar to an ATM card. (not really but easiest way to explain).

The REAL problem you will have is that a majority of merchants do NOT accept credit cards to begin with in some of these countries. France and Italy will not be a problem. Spain and Portugal, just look for the logo or shop somewhere else. Austria and Poland, either shop at international chains or hit the bank up for cash.

Good luck on your trip. Those are some beautiful places.
Old May 23, 2009, 10:27 am

The REAL problem you will have is that a majority of merchants do NOT accept credit cards to begin with in some of these countries. France and Italy will not be a problem. Spain and Portugal, just look for the logo or shop somewhere else. Austria and Poland, either shop at international chains or hit the bank up for cash.
This must be a regional issue as I had no problems in Venice and Florence 2 years ago anywhere I'd want to go.

Can you give an example of a type of merchant that doesn't take credit cards? Or location? (i.e. I'd expect everyone in/near a train station or airport to take them, but maybe not in some rural village.) Maybe it's that I have a tendency to remain on the main drags and in "popular" restaurants so I've never had issues... but I can't think of a time when I've been to Western Europe and had any issues whatsoever.

Traveler's checks... well... that's another story. Ugh.
Old May 23, 2009, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Spain is OK to use magnetic strip cards. UK is hit or miss - so make sure you have a ATM card where you can draw cash should your credit card not be accepted in UK
Old May 23, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I've been to Europe in 5 different countries within the past year, (Ireland, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain) and had no problem using my MC/Visa in any of them.

You will not need a chip and pin card in these countries. Any merchant that takes VISA or MASTERCARD will have a chip and swipe terminal.

What people dont understand is that there are merchants in some countries that only accept SOLO, SWITCH, ELECTRON, MAESTRO cards. These are similar to an ATM card. (not really but easiest way to explain).
Based on what EasternTraveler is saying, I'm thinking that SOLO, etc. are Europe-based chip & PIN cards that don't have anything to do with MC/Visa. If retailers take these debit cards but don't take MC/Visa, then that would explain why MC/Visa don't work at these establishments. Do I have that right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.