Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does credit card interest work?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

How does credit card interest work?

Say I have a $10,000 balance due May 1'st. I pay $9000 before May 1'st and the remaining $1000 on May 2'nd.

Do I owe interest for the $1000 based on 1 day or 31 days ( i.e days since the previous statement )?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway's phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.114 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

31 days and you will also pay interest on the other funds from the cycle start until it was paid off. Basically by missing the due date or carrying a balance all purchases become subject to interest charges. If someone understands differently, pls post but this my understanding.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by veggie_lover
Say I have a $10,000 balance due May 1'st. I pay $9000 before May 1'st and the remaining $1000 on May 2'nd.

Do I owe interest for the $1000 based on 1 day or 31 days ( i.e days since the previous statement )?
You owe interest on the ENTIRE balance as well as ANY NEW CHARGES YOU PUT ON from the previous statement, from the date you incur the amount (each and every purchase) - that is NOT the statement date, nor the balance due date.

The interests INCURRED on the date of you made a purchase - it is the credit extended to you. However, the incurred and ACCRUED interest will be WAIVED, if you pay the statement balance in FULL on the due date. The accrued process is done but the accrued interest amount would not show, if you pay in FULL from the first statement, and on every subsequent statement.

Read the small print and DETAILED (but not very easy to understand) conditions on HOW THE INTERESTS ARE CALCULATED, and under what conditions such are waived.

There is also a practice called Double Cycle Billing or similar name. Google it to learn more. Though I believe the large issuers have dropped such practice after a big Congressional investigation last year.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Yikes , that sounds quite scary. So even if I paid $9999 of the $10,000 balance the day before due date, I would still get hit with a massive accrued interest charge?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by veggie_lover
Yikes , that sounds quite scary. So even if I paid $9999 of the $10,000 balance the day before due date, I would still get hit with a massive accrued interest charge?
YES.

not only the $10K, but any new item you charged on the card after the statement cycle which the $10K is charged.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Happy
The interests INCURRED on the date of you made a purchase - it is the credit extended to you. However, the incurred and ACCRUED interest will be WAIVED, if you pay the statement balance in FULL on the due date. The accrued process is done but the accrued interest amount would not show, if you pay in FULL from the first statement, and on every subsequent statement.
Please show me the terms of any major card issuer that does not have a grace period from the time of purchase. Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
Please show me the terms of any major card issuer that does not have a grace period from the time of purchase. Thanks.
They all have grace periods, but only if the balance is paid in full.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
Only when you PAY IN FULL by due date of each statement. Read my post again to see if you understand the term of Interest Incurred and Accrued, as well as Waived.

I am doing a service here to explain the mechanism in layman's language.

Originally Posted by soitgoes
They all have grace periods, but only if the balance is paid in full.
Exactly.

People often misunderstand how the grace period work because they dont bother to understand the T&Cs. Incidentally, almost all major issuers have same T&Cs, with slight difference in the level of fees / cap of interest rates / method of calulating interest (from date of posting, or from date of transaction)... They also tend to miss the keywords Pay in Full - with FULL being emphasized!

You lose the grace period the moment you dont pay in full. Plain and Simple. Good for the OP to ask a question instead of assuming the "grace period" while having no knowledge how it works.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Ok - say after not paying in full for a month or so, getting charged interest, and then paying everything off in full - do you then have your 'grace period' of waived interest back? Or is that grace period gone forever because you were didn't fully pay one month?
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinosims
Ok - say after not paying in full for a month or so, getting charged interest, and then paying everything off in full - do you then have your 'grace period' of waived interest back? Or is that grace period gone forever because you were didn't fully pay one month?
No, you get it back again.
http://home3.americanexpress.com/cor...info/grace.asp
Old Apr 19, 2009, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinosims
You get it back.

However, there is the persky issue of the finance charge itself - the problem with it is, the finance charge is not calculated until statement date, but by the time you see the finance charge of the previous statement, you already are late in paying back the finance charge. So the finance charge seems to take on a life of its own, to snowballing...

Personally I have never carried a balance, so I cannot say from experience how it works when you carry balance on one statement then you try to return to the pay in full status - how long it takes to get everything back to before the cycle you carried balance. The information I came accross, seems to indicate that you STOP using the card from the month you carry balance. Then pay in full when you can. Wait for the next cycle to make sure there is no more finance charge, before you start using that card again...

I believe it has to do with the Double Billing Cycle Calculation practice which supposedly the issuers have slowly stopped employing that after the Congressional investigation 2 years ago.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 7:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
You get it back.

However, there is the persky issue of the finance charge itself - the problem with it is, the finance charge is not calculated until statement date, but by the time you see the finance charge of the previous statement, you already are late in paying back the finance charge. So the finance charge seems to take on a life of its own, to snowballing...

Personally I have never carried a balance, so I cannot say from experience how it works when you carry balance on one statement then you try to return to the pay in full status - how long it takes to get everything back to before the cycle you carried balance. The information I came accross, seems to indicate that you STOP using the card from the month you carry balance. Then pay in full when you can. Wait for the next cycle to make sure there is no more finance charge, before you start using that card again...

I believe it has to do with the Double Billing Cycle Calculation practice which supposedly the issuers have slowly stopped employing that after the Congressional investigation 2 years ago.

The double billing cycle will be eliminated 7/1/10... thats just one of the many changes coming.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:30 pm
hco

Programs: SAS *G
You owe interest on the ENTIRE balance as well as ANY NEW CHARGES YOU PUT ON from the previous statement, from the date you incur the amount (each and every purchase) - that is NOT the statement date, nor the balance due date.

Read the small print and DETAILED (but not very easy to understand) conditions on HOW THE INTERESTS ARE CALCULATED, and under what conditions such are waived.

There is also a practice called Double Cycle Billing or similar name. Google it to learn more. Though I believe the large issuers have dropped such practice after a big Congressional investigation last year.
Beautifully explained! Thank you! ^
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:42 pm

Please forgive my ignorance, but is it correct that if I pay my balance off completely each month I will not be charged interest? Or do I pay interest on everything that is charged to the card, regardless of whether it's paid off each month?
Old Apr 26, 2009, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by switters
Please forgive my ignorance, but is it correct that if I pay my balance off completely each month I will not be charged interest?
Yes, that is the norm.

(I suppose a credit card could lack a grace period in theory--but I've never seen one. Also, interest accumulates immediately on balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.