Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2009, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another quirky thing I notice, the points earned on the Card, do not get transferred to brokerage account until end of the month, does not matter when is your statement date. I find this odd as most other cards the earnings are transferred to the corresponding account after statement close date. i.e. AA miles will show up in your AA account 2 days after Citi statement date, ditto for United card from Chase. But I notice my Schward card pts dont get transferred after statement date until the beginning of the following month.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
No fees just do a transfer.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA, UA.
Can you paid online with this credit card?
Is the bank account has to be Schwab Checking account ?
Can you paid with other bank checking account?

Thanks!
Lee
Old Jul 27, 2009, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by 925
Quirks: If you set your CC account up for autopay, but also prepay some or all of your bill manually, your autopay still kicks in for the full amount of your bill on your autopay date, regardless of your payment or CC refunds. This makes it VERY HARD to push more than your than your credit limit through in a month and still use autopay.
As far as I can tell the autopay feature is useless for me, because you have to set a fixed dollar amount to pay each month and I want to pay my statement balance in full (like I do with Autopay at Citi, Chase and AmEx). Is there another way to set up Autopay at Schwab that I'm missing? I'm clicking "Pay Online" then "Auto-Pay" and the only options it gives me are the dollar amount and the day of the month (no option to pay statement amount or minimum payment like at Citi and Chase and other autopay systems I've used).

Originally Posted by moon4fun
You can pay your bill online through their website from any US checking account. As noted above, their website is a bit clunky (it's a clumsy integration of a full-blown third-party billpay system, which I find confusing), but it works.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by themicah
As far as I can tell the autopay feature is useless for me, because you have to set a fixed dollar amount to pay each month and I want to pay my statement balance in full (like I do with Autopay at Citi, Chase and AmEx). Is there another way to set up Autopay at Schwab that I'm missing?
Call FIA Services and ask for an autopay form. You have to fill it out and return it, and from then on they will debit the full balance due from your designated bank account each month.

Last edited by ziobacio; Jul 28, 2009 at 9:20 am
Old Jul 27, 2009, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by moon4fun

Thanks!
Lee
yuk
Old Aug 31, 2009, 8:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
After previously applying for this card and subsequently cancelling the app due to the interrogation by one of heir credit analysts; I decided to re-apply and was approved prior to my vacation about a month ago. I got card day before we departed, sweet, CL $7,500.00 no problem more than enough to cover all expenses, avoid for ex fees and 2% back...nice. Today I check my online accounts, and was confused about Fidelity Amex 2% card CL.... In the end it turns out that FIA cut my $30,000.00 limit down to $1,200.00...ouch - I assume directly related to my VISA app...I had a nice chat with a CSR person - real jerk, I would say, who commented that my monthly average charge was significantly less than $1,200 CL now bestowed upon me. I promptly closed the FIA Amex account.

For now, TYN Amex and PPE will be my day to day cards till December, then I will switch to the Schwab VISA for all day to day purchases and the PPE card for the special categories.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, MBNA or FIA or now all under BofA umbrella, is notorious for that they strictly monitor the total exposure of all their cards you have and would take CL away without any prior notification to you.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:45 pm

Paperwork required to enroll in online automatic billpay? Makes no sense...
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by nfg05
Paperwork required to enroll in online automatic billpay? Makes no sense...
Billpay doesn't require paperwork.

Paperwork is only required for the true autopay feature (where they automatically deduct the statement balance from your bank account each month). This is consistent with other credit card companies, including CapOne and Citi (although Citi may have moved this capability online) in my experience.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:19 am

My mistake for not being more clear, I was referring to the autopay feature. No experience with CapOne, but I was able to set up autopay with Citi a few weeks ago without doing any paperwork.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by nfg05
My mistake for not being more clear, I was referring to the autopay feature. No experience with CapOne, but I was able to set up autopay with Citi a few weeks ago without doing any paperwork.
CapOne still does it by paper (not surprising given their shambles of a computer system). When I first set up autopay with Citi many years ago I had to do it on paper, but it's been a long time since I've messed with my Citi autopay settings. Chase also lets you do it online.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jamflyer
After previously applying for this card and subsequently cancelling the app due to the interrogation by one of heir credit analysts; I decided to re-apply and was approved prior to my vacation about a month ago. I got card day before we departed, sweet, CL $7,500.00 no problem more than enough to cover all expenses, avoid for ex fees and 2% back...nice. Today I check my online accounts, and was confused about Fidelity Amex 2% card CL.... In the end it turns out that FIA cut my $30,000.00 limit down to $1,200.00...ouch - I assume directly related to my VISA app...I had a nice chat with a CSR person - real jerk, I would say, who commented that my monthly average charge was significantly less than $1,200 CL now bestowed upon me. I promptly closed the FIA Amex account.

For now, TYN Amex and PPE will be my day to day cards till December, then I will switch to the Schwab VISA for all day to day purchases and the PPE card for the special categories.
I got the notification in the mail yesterday...
Old Sep 6, 2009, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So what are people doing with the money they've accumulated?

My main brokerage accounts are at eTrade, where I get $9.99 trades.

Interest rates are low but the Schwab high interest checking is only .75%. I have bank accounts which do better but not sure about doing transfers of a couple of hundred dollars.

Can you get an ATM card to use it as petty cash without opening a checking account? I don't need another checking account.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
So what are people doing with the money they've accumulated?

My main brokerage accounts are at eTrade, where I get $9.99 trades.

Interest rates are low but the Schwab high interest checking is only .75%. I have bank accounts which do better but not sure about doing transfers of a couple of hundred dollars.

Can you get an ATM card to use it as petty cash without opening a checking account? I don't need another checking account.
Are you sure it pays 0.75%? or more like 0.075%? Or you confuse the OER % as yield? OER stands for Operation Expense Ratio, if you hover your mouse over it you will see the definition - it is the Expense ratio, not yield!

Here is the Schwab MMFs' rates table, the highest is only 0.21%, lower than Fidelity's.

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...money_markets&

Fidelity's MMFs in general, offer higher yield than Schwab's
http://personal.fidelity.com/product...tml.cvsr?bar=p

Fido's commission is also 9.95 if you meet some requirements which are really easy to meet.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 6, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.