Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

People making rude comments when making small purchases on a CC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

People making rude comments when making small purchases on a CC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:39 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by tom911
What do merchants pay as a processing charge? If they're getting hit with a transaction fee, plus a percentage, I can see why they don't want credit cards transaction of a dollar or two.
Merchants sign up to accept credit cards because they know that, in the aggregate, people who use credit cards spend more. That's the advantage to the merchant, without which no merchant would accept a credit card. Well, with that bonus comes a little bad news. Not everyone is going to buy the Mercedes. If you choose to accept credit cards, you have to take them all, and not cherry pick. In the aggregate, you will come out ahead.

I use my cards for everything. When I run across a merchant who tries to enforce a minimum purchase I let them know they are in violation and that I will report them to Visa/MC if the refuse to accept my card--and I follow though. I have also been known to comment along the lines of "if you are going to be so brash as to charge $5 for a bottle of water, it's no wonder people want to put it on a credit card."

I like the rebates, miles, points, that come with using the card. I also like not having to go to the ATM every other day to satisfy the whims of the merchants who want to violate their merchant agreement.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:13 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
What do merchants pay as a processing charge? If they're getting hit with a transaction fee, plus a percentage, I can see why they don't want credit cards transaction of a dollar or two.

Anyone up on what merchants get dinged for these $1-2 purchases?
Who cares!

At Chow Mein Express in the food court at HNL they will sell you anything they've got, from an $0.89 small scoop of rice on up on to whatever: on your credit card - and could care less about the amount. They just swipe your card and immediately hand you the receipt and your order....no signature; no tip; no nothing. Just fast service and a "Thank you." It's just how it should be everywhere.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
Originally Posted by Sanosuke
Up here in Canada, no signature required if purchase is <$25 in McDonalds.

Sanosuke!
Depends on the manager of the McDonalds...
There was a change in ownership of the on by my university and last time I went I had to sign AND show ID.
That contributes to why it's the last time.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 8:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by kaukau
Who cares!
I do, which is why I asked the question, which remains unanswered.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 8:52 am

I use my card for everything. I charge a cup of coffee $1.5 everyday.
No comment was ever given to me.
This is the way I like it, no coins, no cash, no trip to ATM, no holdup the line, and best of all I get rewards. If someone don't like it, so be it. It won't bother me.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond

Anyone up on what merchants get dinged for these $1-2 purchases?
It depends on the merchant. However, most times there are two fees. One is usually a percentage based on the type of card being used (rewards cards charge higher percentages). The other is usually a "click fee" of sorts, a fixed fee per transaction.

This is the reason some merchants don't like small charges. If you're a bigger company, the click fee can be as small as 3 or 4 cents. However, smaller merchants may have to absorb a fee of as much as 15 cents. If the transaction is only a couple of dollars, this might represent most of their profit on an item.

However, as pushback noted, the "plus" is the larger average transaction. In the fast-casual restaurant industry, we see an average check that is anywhere between 50 and 100% bigger with credit cards than with cash.

So, you take the good with the bad.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by sjefenole
Depends on the manager of the McDonalds...
There was a change in ownership of the on by my university and last time I went I had to sign AND show ID.
That contributes to why it's the last time.
I thought all McDonalds, even franchise ones, used the same POS terminal. I've been to McDonalds everywhere including Vegas Strip and didn't have to sign or show ID. Sounds like that guy needs to go back to HamburgerU.

Back on topic: if places could impose a minimum transaction fee there would be little reason for fast food to accept credit cards since it seems like most transactions are less than $10. People buy a $1 ice cream cone and charge it.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by pushback
Merchants sign up to accept credit cards because they know that, in the aggregate, people who use credit cards spend more. That's the advantage to the merchant, without which no merchant would accept a credit card. Well, with that bonus comes a little bad news. Not everyone is going to buy the Mercedes. If you choose to accept credit cards, you have to take them all, and not cherry pick. In the aggregate, you will come out ahead.
Good Point!!!

Originally Posted by pushback
I use my cards for everything. When I run across a merchant who tries to enforce a minimum purchase I let them know they are in violation and that I will report them to Visa/MC if the refuse to accept my card--and I follow though. I have also been known to comment along the lines of "if you are going to be so brash as to charge $5 for a bottle of water, it's no wonder people want to put it on a credit card."

I like the rebates, miles, points, that come with using the card. I also like not having to go to the ATM every other day to satisfy the whims of the merchants who want to violate their merchant agreement.

That is what I do
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaukau
At Chow Mein Express in the food court at HNL they will sell you anything they've got, from an $0.89 small scoop of rice on up on to whatever: on your credit card - and could care less about the amount. They just swipe your card and immediately hand you the receipt and your order....no signature; no tip; no nothing. Just fast service and a "Thank you." It's just how it should be everywhere.
At any 7 Eleven in the country, you can buy a USA Today for .75 plus tax, and charge it, and not need to sign. A few used to balk at it when it was still .50 plus tax (over a year ago, IIRC), saying "minimum 75 cents" (in which case I went to the next 7 Eleven and had no problem), but now that USA Today is .75 plus tax I've not had a problem at any 7 Eleven with that small a charge.

(And I get 4+ UA miles for each such paper bought, since I'm using Chase Rewards Plus, and since they seem to round up before calculating points, and since they consider each 7 Eleven to be either a gas station or a grocery store.)
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
Mainly my wife comments but that is all. Virtually all major chains don't have any comment but some smaller individually owned and operated places have. I will make charges for less than $1.00. I find the smaller establishments balk at the fees and I also point out the T&C they signed when allowing CC's. A store clerk was extremely rude when I had purchased gas outside but then Mrs. Boilers wanted something from inside the gas station. I went to pay with my CC (again) and he said no transactions under $5. I got into a small argument and submitted a complaint. That was the only major issue I have ever encountered.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 2:04 pm

I'm shocked at how many people today still have no concept of how credit cards work. They think you pay interest even if you pay off your bill in full. Unbelievable.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 2:36 pm
In memoriam

Not so long ago a local news stand and magazine shop owner told me he was quitting the business (and did) because he had to take credit cards because many of the customers had very little cash--but, the fees were more than his profits, due to the small size of each transaction.

One news stand killed by credit card fees. Kinda sad ...
Old Jul 6, 2008, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
27 cents was the smallest amount

that I've ever charged.

I was at the cash register at Trader Joes where I was just buying 1 banana when i realized i had no cash on me.

I was ready to just forget the banana but the cashier said charging 27 cents wasn't a problem. ^
Old Jul 6, 2008, 8:21 pm

i was at a restaurant the other night that had visa/mc logos displayed at the register along with a sign saying "we prefer cash, who doesn't?!"

i asked how much of a percentage visa takes and at first the guy thought i was a visa agent checking in on them, but then told me 0.9%. i imagine it varies a lot by merchant. so i tipped about 5% more than i would have otherwise to make them not mind i was paying with a cc. i'd only do this at a non-chain restaurant i really like and want to keep in business though.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
I love using credit cards, maximizing miles earned by doing so. Plus, I hate carrying loose change around.

However I know that CC fees are not negligible. I use PayPal, and if I receive a CC payment, I pay 30+cents plus about 3%. If you apply that same schedule when you go to the grocery, the store actually loses money when you charge 27 cents worth of bananas.

I try not to charge small amounts when I am at a Mom and Pop operation, but the clerk at WalMart could care less, obviously.

I assume that mega operations such as McDonalds, WalMart, etc. have negotiated more favorable transaction fees than I am able to get when I receive a PayPal payment.

Any merchant can negotiate no signature for purchases under xxx with the CC companies. It has nothing to do with what country you are located in. But if the merchant is willing to accept a CC without a signature, they are also accepting more risk that they would with a signature.

Last edited by DLFan2; Jul 8, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.