Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Airlines Unveils New Bank Of Hawaii Hawaiian Miles Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred

For those of us who crave more HA miles, we will have another opportunity to earn them in a few weeks. Beginning April 21st, the Bank of Hawaii will begin to accept applications for their new Hawaiian Miles Visa Card:

http://www.hawaiianair.com/HawaiianM...BOH-Cards.aspx

http://www.hawaiianair.com/HawaiianM...isa-cards.aspx

At present, this offering appears to be in conjunction with the already in circulation Bank of America Hawaiian Miles Visa. Whether or not this Bank of Hawaii card will co-exist or ultimately replace the Bank of America Hawaiian Miles Visa Card remains to be seen.

This will open up another avenue to accumulate additional generous 20,000 Hawaiian miles signup bonuses.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Nice find, kaukau. ^ I wonder why they have TWO separate Visa Platinum cards? [Edit: One card is issued by B of Hawaii and one by B of A]. It would be nice to get both & snag 40K miles. Aloha!! I'm guessing that both cards will have the same $50 annual fee as the current one.

I wonder if the 50% (fixed error) companion cert is of any real value? Sometimes the restrictions (only full fare tix eligible) make them worthless.

Last edited by philemer; Apr 4, 2008 at 1:07 pm Reason: add info that I missed on first read
Old Apr 4, 2008, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
.......I wonder if the 50% off companion cert is of any real value? Sometimes the restrictions (only full fare tix eligible) make them worthless.

I suppose it could never hurt to try again, but each time we've called HA - 2 or three times, over the years, I guess - to inquire about using one of our 50% off companion certificates, it has turned out that it has been less expensive to purchase two discounted web-fare tix on line - "Additional discounts may be available by visiting the Hawaiian Airlines website" - than to pay full fare + 1/2 full fare over the phone. In addition to that bottom line, I seem to recall a couple of other things that made the 50% off companion certificates "less than desireable" for our purposes: associated "phone fees"; and the fact that tix purchased by phone are not eligible for web-check in and the associated on line day of departure upgrade options.

With that in mind, we just seem to accumulate an ever growing stack of those cert's that sit in our travel folder, awaiting shredding upon expiration.

Has anyone ever found them to be useful?

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Last edited by kaukau; Apr 4, 2008 at 1:16 pm
Old Apr 4, 2008, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not surprised to hear about the futility in using 50% off certs. Stay well my friend. Let's have a "DO" in Maui next Jan. Just got my Kihei condo confirmation for 1/17>1/24.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Not surprised to hear about the futility in using 50% off certs. Stay well my friend. Let's have a "DO" in Maui next Jan. Just got my Kihei condo confirmation for 1/17>1/24.
Deal. We'll be in Vegas 1/11 to 1/15, so let's DO it!

Last edited by kaukau; Apr 16, 2008 at 2:19 pm
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles, United MP
With fares to the West Coast on HA going out of control, here's a massive miles earning opportunity:

Hawaiian Air Bank of Hawaii credit card:
--20000 bonus miles first purchase

Bank of America credit card first purchase:
--20000 bonus miles

Hawaiian Air HNL-MNL roundtrip: $419/each way in July = $862 r/t all in
--10592 miles roundtrip

Bonus mileage for Hawaiian's new HNL-MNL route:
--5000 miles (i've seen this somewhere while on Google, must fly before Oct I think)

Purchasing your ticket using your card @ 2 miles/dollar:
--1724 miles

Renewing both Bank of America and Bank of Hawaii credit cards
--4000 miles

Total mileage earned: 61,316
The experience: Priceless.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ah7e
With fares to the West Coast on HA going out of control, here's a massive miles earning opportunity:...............Total mileage earned: 61,316
The experience: Priceless.
Nice. I like the way you think!

Here's the BOH page on the new card: https://www.boh.com/personal/362_171...ersonal_HAL_CC

It appears that the full T's & C's won't be available for review until April 21st.

Oh yeah: one thing that kinda jumped out at me is the last listed feature and benefit: "Credit card balance counts toward Bankohana status" at BOH, which I think might include the waiver or reduction of many fees for BOH transactions and services: perhaps for foreign currency exchange; U.S. Savings Bond purchase; and other services that BOH normally does not either provide to people without a BOH account, or for which they charge some steep fees. I think that might be a useful feature and benefit for kama'aina.

A hui hou!

__________________________________________________ _______________

Last edited by kaukau; Apr 7, 2008 at 7:21 am
Old Apr 10, 2008, 5:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Looks like each card has a $50 annual fee and I suppose they bill that up front don't they? Any success in getting it waived if you try and cancel?

Jim
Old Apr 11, 2008, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Looks like each card has a $50 annual fee and I suppose they bill that up front don't they? Any success in getting it waived if you try and cancel?

Jim
The annual fee appears on the first statement. The signup bonus miles are credited after the first billing cycle. I have always been happy to pay the first year's annual fee for the bonus miles; but I have closed an account after 11 months to avoid paying a second year's renewal fee.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 8:58 am

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by kaukau
The annual fee appears on the first statement. The signup bonus miles are credited after the first billing cycle. I have always been happy to pay the first year's annual fee for the bonus miles; but I have closed an account after 11 months to avoid paying a second year's renewal fee.
Still not too bad, with the BOA and BOH at $50 each gets you 40k for $100, plus the coveted, highly sought after 1/2 off certs!

Jim
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Still not too bad, with the BOA and BOH at $50 each gets you 40k for $100, plus the coveted, highly sought after 1/2 off certs!

Jim
Exactly. That's a Hawaii to West Coast round trip for $100.

Who wouldn't like that deal?

TTYL
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaukau
Exactly. That's a Hawaii to West Coast round trip for $100.

Who wouldn't like that deal?

TTYL
Who? Those of us that have to pay for another flight just to get to the West Coast!!!
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Who? Those of us that have to pay for another flight just to get to the West Coast!!!
Did I advise you to pitch your tentpoles in Boise? I don't recall giving such advice!

Got you on the calendar for Jan, '09, philemer!
Old Apr 12, 2008, 3:38 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
kaukau - how many of these do you plan to apply for each month
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
kaukau - how many of these do you plan to apply for each month
One of each!

You should as well: LAS-OGG-LAS for $100!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.