Wiki Posts
Search

Home Improvement Credit Card?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2007, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Plat, Everything else basic
Home Improvement Credit Card?

Are there any good rewards cards if I'm making a good percent of home improvement purchases?

I've had my Delta Gold AMEX for a year and now I'm ready to toss it for something else (for the bonus sign up miles and to avoid the annual fee).

Looking back, 60-70% of my less than 20k of purchases this year fell into the categories the Delta card doubles... Gas, Groceries, Delta tickets and lots of home improvement store purchases.

I was thinking of the Marriott or Starwood cards... (now that I've got the miles for a ticket or two i need to have someplace to stay when I get there....) but neither give me the kind of bonuses I got from Delta.

Are there any other good rewards cards that provide those? I've searched and can't seem to find any better deals than Delta. Maybe I should just buck up and try to bargain them down on the annual fee.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
It is generally recognised on this board that the Starwood card is the best out there for rewards since you can transfer to some many airlines at a 1:1 basis.

Where do you shop for home improvement? Home Depot does have a rewards MasterCard which gets you points that can be used for Home Depot gift cards and other things - but no airline mile transfers. The link is Home Depot Rewards MasterCard
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:54 pm
In memoriam

Home Depot and Lowe's both have an ongoing offer for 10% off on your first purchase if you get a new store card.

IMHO, 10% cash beats any bonus program.

Of course, you would want to make that first purchase a doozy!
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:58 am

The Chase Home Improvement Rewards MasterCard pays 3% back at all home improvement stores (up to $10,000 in spending per year). There are other cards too, including some business credit card that pay good rewards on home improvement and in those other categories you mentioned.

You might want to try plugging your spending profile into this rewards calculator to see which cards pay the most for your spending:
Credit Card Reward Calculator (for home improvement, gas, groceries, travel, etc.)

Since individuals can get business credit cards as well, you might have that calculator consider Business cards for you too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.