Wiki Posts
Search

Travelers cheques

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Travelers cheques

I'm heading on vacation and am thinking about getting travelers cheques.

Are there any programs that allow you to buy Travelers Cheques on your CC without paying a fee?

(Actually, if I do it it needs to happen tomorrrow.)
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:22 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Not that I'm aware of. However, if you buy $500 or more in Amex TC, you can sign up for a discount card, which I have gotten some value from.

http://www.tcdiscountcard.com/index.jsp
Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:45 pm

I honestly never saw the point, I just keep at least two credit and ATM cards with me, one of each in the hotel safe, and one of each on me. If it gets lost/stolen, they can usually be replaced within 48 hours anywhere in the world, and maybe 72 if you are really out in the middle of no-where.

To actually answer the question, I haven't seen a place that lets you get them no-fee, and if you do, make sure they don't run it as a cash advance.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
If you have an AMEX, at least the fee is waived in getting TC's.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:01 am

Travelers cheques

YES. There is a way to buy travelers checks with a credit card with no fee. If you have the AAA credit card and buy travelers cheques from AAA, there is NO fee like you would get with a normal credit card (a cash advance fee). There are also other benefits of the AAA credit card so check with your local AAA for details as other benefits can vary by location.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:07 am

Programs: AA, NW
Originally Posted by dgordon
If you have an AMEX, at least the fee is waived in getting TC's.
If you purchase a travelers cheque from Amex travel agency, the fee will be waived if you use an Amex charge card, NOT Amex credit card.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by iowatraveler
YES. There is a way to buy travelers checks with a credit card with no fee. If you have the AAA credit card and buy travelers cheques from AAA, there is NO fee like you would get with a normal credit card (a cash advance fee). There are also other benefits of the AAA credit card so check with your local AAA for details as other benefits can vary by location.
Does TC purchase earn any rewards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.