Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cash back on dining?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2005, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

cash back on dining?

Aside from the standard 1% cash back on everything that many CC companies offer, does anyone know of a card that offers more than 1% on restaurants and dining out?

Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2005, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by m3m3m3
Aside from the standard 1% cash back on everything that many CC companies offer, does anyone know of a card that offers more than 1% on restaurants and dining out?

Thanks!
Diners Club as it comes with free Idine membership you can get anywhere from 8-20% off you resturant bill if the resturant is on the list of resturants. Except in recent years the programs has cut back benfits and most resturants are paying now only 10% and exclude Friday- Sunday from the discount.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 1:28 pm
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
I've only seen promos for > 1% on MC/Visa, like Chase is having double cashback until end of year.

AMEX Costco card always gives 3% cashback on dining, 2% on travel (tix, hotel, car) and 1% on all other. No annual fee but you must be a Costco member & it's an AMEX.

Discover card has one option that gives 5% on 1st $1500, 3% on next $1500 and 1% after that for dining only. Other is 1%/0.5%/0.25%. No annual fee, but place needs to accept DC.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
I just received an offer for 3% back on restaurants, home improvement, hardware, grocery, drug store, gasoline. However, I think it is targeted - it was addressed to my business. I'll post more details when I get home.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by psychtobe
I just received an offer for 3% back on restaurants, home improvement, hardware, grocery, drug store, gasoline. However, I think it is targeted - it was addressed to my business. I'll post more details when I get home.
Indeed it is targeted. This is the AMA (American Medical Association) -sponsored Platinum Visa Business by Chase.

3% on gas, restaurants, office supply, building supply, hardware, home improvement; 1% on everything else. no annual fee.

I only have a 'business' because I signed up for the Northwest Platinum Business Card for some bonus miles.

Still a good deal for those who qualify.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 2:44 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Rewards network will give you 20% bach in cash in addition to whatever you Visa is giving you. The restaurant has to be in the program. If you live in a medium sized city you will find plenty of participating restaraunts.

To get cash back you have to pay an annual fee $49--actually you don't pay it--they take the first $49 in earnings. I used to use something like this when I managed an IT department and every time I took the team out for lunch I got a kickback. Nice.

You can see info on this here: https://www.rewardsnetwork.com/accountsetup.jsp

You can also get miles instead of cash with no fee. UAL and AA both participate. Others may too--I don't know.

For AA miles: http://aa.rewardsnetwork.com/

For UA miles: http://mpdining.rewardsnetwork.com/
Old Oct 30, 2005, 4:05 pm

Amex HHonors Hilton card (free) gives 5 points for $1 in any restaurant.
People here value HHonors points at .6 - .8 cents, so cashback is 3% to 4%
What's nice it can be registered for Rewards Network (frm. Idine), so HHonors points will be on top of miles or cashback.

Finally, Amex give a different account# for every cardholder, so the same Amex account can be registered with different airlines.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
No one's mentioned the Citi offerings. One is the Citi Professional card. This offers 3 ThankYou points/$ at restaurants, gas stations, some office supply merchants, and for auto rentals. Also 10k bonus TY points for getting the card. TY points are worth at least 1 cent/point.

Another is the Citi MTVu card. This is an offering targeted at university students. Not sure whether they check. 5 TY points/$ at restaurants, record stores, movie theaters, bookstores, and video rentals. Supposedly all purchases at Amazon count as bookstore purchases. Oh, and there's a bonus for maintaining a good GPA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.