Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Cashback card?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:29 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
ATT Universal Cash Rewards Card. 5% on supermarket, gasoline, and drug store purchases; 1% on everything else. Can accumulate up to $300 cash reward in a calendar year. No fee. www.universalcard.com
Old Jul 24, 2005, 2:58 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ANDREWCX
Chance = Yes, Strong chance in next few days = Not really I am trying to get some non-FF related things done this week....
You mean miles and life are not the same thing?! I have been misled by this forum.

Last edited by pgary; Jul 25, 2005 at 2:49 pm Reason: I used to want to be a math major. Now I were one. Can't spell.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 8:32 pm

MBNA Stockback card for heavy monthly spenders

Earn based upon the following monthly spending thresholds:
$0-$1,500 = 0.5%,
$1,501-$3,000 = 1%,
$3,001-$5,000 = 1.5%,
$5,000 - $6000= 2.0%.

Nothing earned for purchase >$6000/month. Only bad thing about the card is that it takes between 3-5 weeks for MBNA to send the information to stockback and for stockback to then send you a check/direct deposit at ING or whatever other payment method you choose.

http://www.stockback.com/

https://wwwn.applyonlinenow.com/USap..._MC=A000001NHK
Old Jul 24, 2005, 9:10 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus 1K, Marriott Silver
Sounds like CitiDividend

Originally Posted by ohmark
ATT Universal Cash Rewards Card. 5% on supermarket, gasoline, and drug store purchases; 1% on everything else. Can accumulate up to $300 cash reward in a calendar year. No fee. www.universalcard.com

This sounds just like the terms for Citi Dividend. Is the cash rebate automatically applied to your balance or do you have to request a paper check, like Citi Div?
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Originally Posted by hokie94
Earn based upon the following monthly spending thresholds:
$0-$1,500 = 0.5%,
$1,501-$3,000 = 1%,
$3,001-$5,000 = 1.5%,
$5,000 - $6000= 2.0%.

Nothing earned for purchase >$6000/month. Only bad thing about the card is that it takes between 3-5 weeks for MBNA to send the information to stockback and for stockback to then send you a check/direct deposit at ING or whatever other payment method you choose.

http://www.stockback.com/

wow. and that is not even weighted (would have been 1.2%). I'm thinking I should get one of these and spend exactly $6K on it a month. Can this really last? The only other with 2% on all purchases is the Fidelity 529 one, and they do it to get the management fees on your funds.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:25 am
DH

Originally Posted by frood
This sounds just like the terms for Citi Dividend. Is the cash rebate automatically applied to your balance or do you have to request a paper check, like Citi Div?
Yup, they are essentially same cards by same company, Citi.

Last edited by DH; Jul 25, 2005 at 11:30 am
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Mirage
I have several but these two are my favorite.

Chase PerFect 1% on everyday purchases and 3% on gasoline. The rebate is reflected on the following billing cycle. Also have a specials at sign-up.

PenFed Visa Platinum 1.25% cash rebate. The rebate is also reflected on the following billing cycle.
The Chase Cash Plus Reward Visa Card - $50 Cash Back 0% intro APR - call 1-888-787-0329. Earn $50 Cash Back or gift certificate after first purchase. Earn 5% Cash Back on qualified grocery, gas, Drugstore puchases & 1% on all other purchases. No annual fee. Limited-time offer - apply by August 31, 2005.

This is very similar to citibank's offering.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:06 pm
CRC

Programs: *wood/DC
Cashback Cards

Best Cashback Cards:

Personal (As stated above):
Chase Cashback 5% (Great if you can get the $50 signup) $300 Annual Cap
Citibank Dividend Platinum MC 5% Cashback $300 Annual Cap

Small Business (Don't report debt on your personal credit report!):
Advanta Platinum MC 5% Cashback $300 Annual Cap, Primary Rental Ins
Costco Amex Cashback (3% Dining, 2% Travel, 1% Etc) No Annual Cap

All have no annual fees. Advanta has a fixed rate 7.99% Purchases with 0% for 1 yr on Balance Transfers.

For some people, cashback is a better way to go than miles/points.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lessthanzero
wow. and that is not even weighted (would have been 1.2%). I'm thinking I should get one of these and spend exactly $6K on it a month. Can this really last? The only other with 2% on all purchases is the Fidelity 529 one, and they do it to get the management fees on your funds.
I don't think you are reading it quite right; i think it is weighted. You only earn 2% on purchases between 5-6k in spending. So I interpret this offer as exactly 1% cashback if monthly spending is 4500; then 1.5% on the next $500; then 2% on the next $1000; then nothing after that. not so good.

I really like the AT&T Universal Cash Rewards Card, as mentioned above. it is actual cash back, not funky points, and that is always nice.

Last edited by psychtobe; Aug 19, 2005 at 11:55 pm
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Originally Posted by psychtobe
I don't think you are reading it quite right; i think it is weighted. You only early 2% on purchases between 5-6k in spending. So I interpret this offer as exactly 1% cashback if monthly spending is 4500; then 1.5% on the next $500; then 2% on the next $1000; then nothing after that. not so good.

I really like the AT&T Universal Cash Rewards Card, as mentioned above. it is actual cash back, not funky points, and that is always nice.
I agree that is a possible interpretation. If so I think their material is grossly misleading. Anyone care to call and find out?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by psychtobe
I don't think you are reading it quite right; i think it is weighted. You only earn 2% on purchases between 5-6k in spending. So I interpret this offer as exactly 1% cashback if monthly spending is 4500; then 1.5% on the next $500; then 2% on the next $1000; then nothing after that. not so good.

Originally Posted by lessthanzero
I agree that is a possible interpretation. If so I think their material is grossly misleading. Anyone care to call and find out?
No it isn't weighted; you need to interpret it exactly as posted originally. I have a stockback card. Spend $6k per month and get $120 cash back. Like I said, the only bad thing is that it takes a while for the credit. For my statement that closed 7/1 cash back was processed by MBNA on 7/31, accepted by stockback on 8/17. I should get my money on 8/24. So it takes about 3-5 weeks normally after the statement closes but this time, about 6 weeks. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the statement closing date. I might need to experiment with that to see if they do something strange like process everything at the end of each month.

Last edited by hokie94; Aug 20, 2005 at 3:30 pm
Old Aug 20, 2005, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
HSBC Mastercard Cashback - anyone?

Hi folks,

Last week I got an invite in the mail (with an invitation code) to apply for the HSBC Mastercard. I was taken aback when I read the offer...
1% upto USD 2500 purchases
2% btwn USD 2500-5000 purchases
5% for ALL purchases about USD 5000

I read the offer multiple times for any loopholes but couldn't find any (except for an annual max of 300$). So I applied, got approved and now am waiting for the card to arrive. I'll post my experience with it in a while...

Anyone else got the same offer/using the card already?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hokie94
No it isn't weighted; you need to interpret it exactly as posted originally. I have a stockback card. Spend $6k per month and get $120 cash back. Like I said, the only bad thing is that it takes a while for the credit. For my statement that closed 7/1 cash back was processed by MBNA on 7/31, accepted by stockback on 8/17. I should get my money on 8/24. So it takes about 3-5 weeks normally after the statement closes but this time, about 6 weeks. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the statement closing date. I might need to experiment with that to see if they do something strange like process everything at the end of each month.

I believe you are right, and I stand corrected. Interesting offer, if you spend over $3000 per month. You get up to 120 reward dollars back, convertable to USD on a 1:1 basis, and receivable in cash in increments of 25 USD. It's also combinable with the rest of the Stockback program, which appears to offer higher rebates for certain merchants.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 8:15 pm

deleted

Last edited by hokie94; Aug 20, 2005 at 8:18 pm
Old Aug 20, 2005, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by gya007
Last week I got an invite in the mail (with an invitation code) to apply for the HSBC Mastercard. I was taken aback when I read the offer...
1% upto USD 2500 purchases
2% btwn USD 2500-5000 purchases
5% for ALL purchases about USD 5000
With a $300 max, it's essentially 1% on up to 2.5k, 2% between 2.5k-5k, then 5% between 5k-9.5k. At that point you hit the cap. This turns into an effective earning rate of 3.16% which is not too shabby at all.

The only cash card I could see on HSBC's web site is a flat 1% back. So the offer you got is definitely nice. One caveat with HSBC: I know Household Bank (an HSBC subsidiary) is moving to a 3% forex conversion fee. Presumably HSBC will be as well (if they're not already there).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.