Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

My first CC fraud on BofA Alaska Business Visa....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:02 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Please feel free to move this if you want......

I had my first Credit card fraud charges which I found on my BofA Alaska business visa.... I knew something was up when I got a statement since I have never used the card from the time I applied and got the promotional miles.....there was one charge on the statement and ( according to the CSR) three more pending.

A friend I talked to said is is most common with credit cards like BofA that only change the last four digits of the card.... that the thiefs keep trying combinations of 4 digits and exp. dates till they find one that works.....
Old Nov 17, 2004, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by david4455
Please feel free to move this if you want......

I had my first Credit card fraud charges which I found on my BofA Alaska business visa.... I knew something was up when I got a statement since I have never used the card from the time I applied and got the promotional miles.....there was one charge on the statement and ( according to the CSR) three more pending.

A friend I talked to said is is most common with credit cards like BofA that only change the last four digits of the card.... that the thiefs keep trying combinations of 4 digits and exp. dates till they find one that works.....
Nonetheless, I suggest that you CLOSE the card immediately and report this as identity theft to the FTC and credit reporting bureaus. At a minimum, have the credit bureaus put a 90 day security alert on your record. Although it may seem that someone simply discovered your credit card number, you never know when someone has "found" all of your personal information.

When you report it to the FTC, it goes against B of A's record on identity theft (which it sounds like they need because they make it easy to guess card numbers).
Old Nov 17, 2004, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
At a minimum, have the credit bureaus put a 90 day security alert on your record. Although it may seem that someone simply discovered your credit card number, you never know when someone has "found" all of your personal information.

When you report it to the FTC, it goes against B of A's record on identity theft (which it sounds like they need because they make it easy to guess card numbers).
I appreciate the advice.

Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to call each of three bureaus seperately......
Old Nov 17, 2004, 5:28 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Do them separately. This is one of those times when a little hassle now can save you a world of grief later.
You've probably been caught by a scheme that specifically targets older card numbers that may not be used much or at all. The average American adult now has one or more cards with zero usage sitting in a closet somewhere. These are an absolute gift to fraudsters, as many cardholders are less sharp than you, and don't notice charges piling up for a couple of months. Often, the fraudster "tests" the card with a few small charges, and then if they get away with it, do a lot more the next month.
Advice for all of you: if you never use an old card, seriously consider cancelling it to reduce your risks of falling victim to this kind of inactive card fraud.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Do them separately. This is one of those times when a little hassle now can save you a world of grief later.

FYI: I took your advice and did put a 90 fraud alert with the credit bureaus.... I started with Experian and when I completed the on-line process a note came up saying they would contact the other two bureaus on my behalf......
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by david4455

FYI: I took your advice and did put a 90 fraud alert with the credit bureaus.... I started with Experian and when I completed the on-line process a note came up saying they would contact the other two bureaus on my behalf......
If you report to one credit bureau they are supposed to notify the others, but my understanding is this doesn't always happen. You should contact all three separately if you want to be sure.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:11 am

Programs: All over the place now.
The only time I've ever had fraud was on my Bank of America card also. I only use it to buy Alaska Airline tickets so it was weird. They actually called me to tell me about the fraud, I said the charges weren't mine and they issued me a new card with no problems. It was some online My Family Ancestry or something like that for like $1800 and another 2 charges.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by stef315
The only time I've ever had fraud was on my Bank of America card also. I only use it to buy Alaska Airline tickets so it was weird. They actually called me to tell me about the fraud, I said the charges weren't mine and they issued me a new card with no problems. It was some online My Family Ancestry or something like that for like $1800 and another 2 charges.
I have a similar story. Having to close and open credit card accounts isn't good for my credit score. I hadn't known up until now that B of A might be more likely than average to run into this problem.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum,AA,NW,HA,Hyatt Gold
Just a little related advise. Identity theft and credit card theft are a major problem and costs all of us additional expense. I suggest everyone have a personal shredder and make sure to shred anything with you name or personal information on it. Also be cautious when using your card over the internet or telephone. Insurance companies and credit card companies take a big hit on this type of crime every year...but trust me, it is passed on to the consumer.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:23 am

Programs: All over the place now.
I agree it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to guarding that information. I even had the opportunity to attend a presentation by a Secret Service agent who specializes in identity theft.

However, in the case of BofA, I really believe it's more their system screwing us than our system. I have never had any problems except this card that I use like once or twice a month. I have had many credit cards in my life. I normally charge around $3000 per month on my main card at all kinds of places. I've used my card on the internet, in other countries, etc. It's only been this BofA and I've heard similar stories.

So, I think they need to wake up and fix something! It was great they caught the fraud and were so easy to deal with on it. But, what they didn't say is "Yes, we know you didn't charge these things because this happens all the time on our cards."
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stef315
I agree it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to guarding that information. I even had the opportunity to attend a presentation by a Secret Service agent who specializes in identity theft.

However, in the case of BofA, I really believe it's more their system screwing us than our system. I have never had any problems except this card that I use like once or twice a month. I have had many credit cards in my life. I normally charge around $3000 per month on my main card at all kinds of places. I've used my card on the internet, in other countries, etc. It's only been this BofA and I've heard similar stories.

So, I think they need to wake up and fix something! It was great they caught the fraud and were so easy to deal with on it. But, what they didn't say is "Yes, we know you didn't charge these things because this happens all the time on our cards."
In my case... they didn't catch the fraud. I did.... I knew something was amiss when I got a statement for this credit card and I never used it but once a year ar two ago to get the mileage bonus.....I think that would be enough to tip their automatic programs that something was up....
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:21 pm

My wife had this happen TWICE on her B of A Alaska Airlines Visa Card. I was not aware of the issue with the 4 digits. I had this problem on an AmEx card once, but it was not a fraud it was a case of my old canceled card somehow linking to my new AmEx card. Apparently my old number had been re-issued. i was surprised to hear that a CC company would do that. Took several phone calls and a few letters to get it resolved.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AS nobody, Hilton Diamond
My B of A CC was hijacked last April. I caught it within 48 hours of the first time the individual used my card. She had the card # and the last 4 digits of my SS# and was able to change the mailing address on the account. She then proceeded to charge about $1800, $10 of which went to the democratic party! I discovered it when I tried to access the account on-line and was locked out. Everyone at B of A was wonderful and walked me through the steps I needed to take. I put a fraud hold on my credit bureau accounts, and have had no problems since. I think I know how the the "thief" got my information, stupidity on my part, but I find it interesting that the op mention ancestry.com. I have an account with them and it was one of the places where I thought the card number had been compromised. Even though things worked out well, it was a tense several weeks. I understand your pain/frustration!
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Information on flagging your credit reports is on the Secret Service website here
Old Nov 19, 2004, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
B of A debit cards (including the AS card) have numbers that are made up of 44nn + your checking account number + 4 digits. Anyone who has seen a check you have written can easily guess your card number, since the mod 10 formula for verifying card numbers is easily available on the web.

This happened to me on two different occasions; the second card number was the same with the last four digits changed to something else that still passed the mod 10 calculation. Both times B of A credited my account with the amount that had been stolen and cancelled the card. The second time I closed my account.

I have written B of A twice, called, and posted this in more than one forum. No responses. Nobody seems to care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.