Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Delay feature

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2004, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
Trip Delay feature

I just received my new united mileage plus visa card. As I was reading the benefits, I noticed the trip delay insurance paying up to 300 dollars for a trip delay. Since I've been stuck at chicago for a mis-connection, can this be used for those cases? Has someone ever used this feature. I did a search for trip delay and didn't find anything. Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:58 am

AFAIK, you should have charge the flight to the card in order to use the insurance. If it's a new card....
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
Of course this doesn't apply to my previous flights.
Since I'll be using my new visa card for future airline purchases, it would make me sweat less in case of mis-connections.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
Have you read the T&Cs or called your credit card company? I think you'd get much better information than what you'd get here in terms of how it can be used and what conditions are required for the feature to kick in.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
doesnt it require delays of 12 hours or more?
Old Jul 29, 2004, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by convert
I just received my new united mileage plus visa card. As I was reading the benefits, I noticed the trip delay insurance paying up to 300 dollars for a trip delay. Since I've been stuck at chicago for a mis-connection, can this be used for those cases? Has someone ever used this feature. I did a search for trip delay and didn't find anything. Thanks
The things to undestand about such a feature is not only what does it cover and what the limiations are, but also what is the process for getting it to cover.

While I don't have any experience with THIS PARTICULAR credit card feature, in general, often such coverages with many cards (and it varies from card company to card company) sound better on paper than they may be in real life if you have to do lots of letters and phone calls over months to collect some paltry sum.

Also, compare when the card kicks in with when other coverages kick in. For example, if after a certain number of hours of delay the airline is responsible for putting you up for the night (tho whether that applies may vary depending on the cause of the delay, sometimes weather doesn't count), and the card only kicks in after that, it means you'll only be able to use the card in case where the airline refuses to cover you (say, because they claim the cause of the delay didn't qualify). So you need to think back on the specifics of the cases where you typically get stuck in Chicago to evaluate how many of those cases it might have helped. (And then check to make sure it doesn't have a "FF exempt" clause like "only one claim per year" or such!)
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:49 am

Has anyone ever used the trip delay feature of their VISA Signature card? I believe the United Mileage Plus Platinum Class Visa still has the $300 trip delay benefit. Any experience with it?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:15 pm

Discontinued

I emailed Chase and apparently this feature no longer exists on any of Chase's cards. Does anyone know when it was discontinued on the Chase United Platinum Class card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.