Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Did Visa/MC Increase Foreign Currency Conversion Fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did Visa/MC Increase Foreign Currency Conversion Fee?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Gold; US Air Silver; Amtrak Select Plus; Starwood Platinum; UA 1K; Aeroflot Bonus
I checked ATM transactions (about a dozen) over the last couple of months; all of them show up as being processed on the MAC network (Withdrawals were in Sterling, Euros, and Czech Crowns).

It looks like there is usually a 1% surcharge, although there were a couple of instances where there didn't appear to be any surcharge or it was an odd percentage (0.5% in one case).

I used www.oanda.com as the source of the f/x rate. I'm not sure what day's f/x rate is used (day of withdrawal, posting to account, what happens on weekends).

It's helpful to know that ATMs are subject to the fee.

At least the banks that dispensed the cash did not charge a fee for using the ATM machine.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by afang
I have the Farm Bureau Bank Visa and i thought they only tack on 1% onto Forgein Exchange..but now

I guess the cheapest is MBNA?
What is MBNA's fee?
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:59 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Rawhide
What is MBNA's fee?
MBNA charges nothing over the Mastercard or Visa 1% rate. This is why I use exclusively my AMTRAK credit card outside of the US. Plus, Amtrak points (1/$1 spent on the card) convert to miles on United, Continental, and Midwest Airlines.

Those who do not know about this card can find details and links on the Free Cards page of the Credit Card section of my website, Free Frequent Flyer Miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.