Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plus Visa(s)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2002, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Mileage Plus Visa(s)

I went ahead and signed up a year ago to get the 10,000 miles. I cancelled in May of this year, and signed up again in August for 10k. I just cancelled again tonight and reapplied to get the 15k. Is this necessary to cancel and then reapply or can I just go ahead and apply for 10 cards at the same time? I read all the terms and nowhere does it say anything about a restriction on the bonus other than that it takes 4-6 weeks to post after first purchase.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 11:11 am

Most of the time the credit card company looks at their total exposure to the potential card holder. If you have an existing card with them they will frequently use this as the reason to decline you.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 9:53 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
I think you will find that First USA restricts the bonus miles and other goodies to first time customers:

From the Terms & Conditions on the First USA website:

United Mileage Plus Visa Card Program Information:
This offer is valid for first time United Mileage Plus Cardmembers only. You may be permitted to have more than one United Mileage Plus, First USA, or Bank One Credit Card Account.

So, it wouldn't help you to apply for the same card program several times.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:05 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
bpauker-- did you get the bonus miles every time...? I actually wanted to ask a related question, since Im an existing FirstUSA Cardholder and just received a new offer for a United Visa Platinum and 15,000 bonus miles.... (???)

Therefore, Im interested in knowing if any other out there that still have a card also got this (duplicate?) offer...?

Furthermore, have any of those that did get it apply and get a second account and the 15K miles? Im tempted to do this just for the mileage. Thanks.

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:36 am
Original Poster

I signed up for the card in May of 2001 and got 10,000 miles. I cancelled in May of this year just before the new annual fee was due. In July, I resigned and got the next 15,000 bonus. I cancelled again a few weeks back, and I hope to score another bonus soon.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 1:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bpauker:
I signed up for the card in May of 2001 and got 10,000 miles. I cancelled in May of this year just before the new annual fee was due. In July, I resigned and got the next 15,000 bonus. I cancelled again a few weeks back, and I hope to score another bonus soon.</font>

They actually gave you the bonus miles? i wonder if i can go back and reapply for the AA Citi...
Old Oct 17, 2002, 9:29 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
I just cancelled my card today. What's odd is that my first statement for a $3 laundry charge did not show the annual fee, but credited me with the 15,000 miles. I verified this in my United account on-line. The second statement I got yesterday was just the $60 fee, so I cancelled. The rep says I don't owe anything. I don't think they will rescind the miles.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 9:05 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Hmmm... interesting. Please report if they do try to pull the miles. Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 4:58 pm

From the Terms & Conditions on the First USA website:

United Mileage Plus Visa Card Program Information:
This offer is valid for first time United Mileage Plus Cardmembers only. You may be permitted to have more than one United Mileage Plus, First USA, or Bank One Credit Card Account.

So, it wouldn't help you to apply for the same card program several times.

I have a fee-free United Airlines Student Visa from FirstUSA/BankOne. Is that mean I wouldn't be eligible for the 15K sign-up bonus for the UAL Plat card?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 16, 2002, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure what the specifics any of you have read or encountered might be. All I know is that I'm now on my third MP Visa, and with each card I've been given the miles, upgrade certs, and discount vouchers.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:35 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
It's been a few years now, but I did twice get bonus miles from a United Visa. Each time I cancelled after the first year. (The first time it was only 5k miles, but that was typical then. Second time it was 10k during the 10th anniversary.) On the second cancel, they offered me the MP Rewards visa which has no annual fee but earns at half the rate (one mile per $2). I haven't bothered to try to cancel and get more bonus miles since then, although I must admit the $60 fee for 15k miles is a good buy and makes me wonder if I could pull that off.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 7:37 am

My second application is being processed, they wanted me to send them a verification of SSN and address.
Old Nov 28, 2002, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Alright, on my third MP Visa, and the 15k bonus posted yesterday. They haven't billed me the fee yet, but I'll probably pay preemptively so I can cut up my card and send in my application for the next card. :-) Gosh this is just too easy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.