Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Foreigner applying for a visa/mastercard?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2002, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck applying for a credit card not from their home country?

I've heard it is relatively easy for someone apply for a credit card in Australia, but how about in other countries?

As an Australian, i'm not too pleased with the competition here and in particular i'm keen to earn points on ANA or United or Mexicana or even Air Canada.. anyone had any luck applying for cards which partipcate in these programs but are based in foreign countries?

Hope ft'ers can help out.
I'm sure this will be useful for many.
Old May 20, 2002, 11:50 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Nope - unless you legally take up residence in another country it is very difficult. That said - I have cards from 3 countries but I was/am a resident of three countries. I thought the Qantas Telstra VISA card was a good one due to the AUD/point ratio?

Dave
Old May 20, 2002, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

It is, particularly the NZ ANZ Qantas Visa. Particularly if you're overseas (ie in AU) most of the time.

Anyone have one?

[This message has been edited by kawoh (edited 05-20-2002).]
Old Jun 3, 2002, 2:15 pm

Not your topic, but may be of interest: If you have a foreign Amex, you can convert it to a U.S. Amex.

Saar
Old Jun 3, 2002, 4:56 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kawoh:
Hi,

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck applying for a credit card not from their home country?

I've heard it is relatively easy for someone apply for a credit card in Australia, but how about in other countries?

As an Australian, i'm not too pleased with the competition here and in particular i'm keen to earn points on ANA or United or Mexicana or even Air Canada.. anyone had any luck applying for cards which partipcate in these programs but are based in foreign countries?

Hope ft'ers can help out.
I'm sure this will be useful for many.
</font>
First of all as Saar has mentioned if you have a foreign amex you can do an international structure change as named by amex i.e. to move and/or retain yor current membership in your home country, once that is done and you build yourself a decent credit history you should have no problem getting a visa/mastercard.

Additionally, Chase Worldwide Consumer Banking offers a SECURED Visa Card (with money on deposit as security) which I have heard will also build your credit in the US.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You will need a US mailing address to establish credit.

[This message has been edited by ganefe (edited 06-03-2002).]
Old Jun 5, 2002, 3:52 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Dont you also need a SSN to establish US credit history?
Old Jun 5, 2002, 4:47 pm
JPH

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priorityclub Platinum, SK* Gold, AA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaucho100K:
Dont you also need a SSN to establish US credit history?</font>
Based on my limited one year experience of living in the US: Yes, you need a SSN to establish US credit history. The credit agencies collect the credit information using SSN as the primary key.

JPH
Old Jun 5, 2002, 5:15 pm

[This message has been edited by ganefe (edited 06-05-2002).]
Old Jun 10, 2002, 3:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
In the US, you will need the SSN and an address in the US.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 7:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted from eMailman:
In the US, you will need the SSN and an address in the US. </font>
Generally speeking, that's right. However, it's possible to get a credit card without SSN.
You can apply at IRS for a tax number (ITIN or so). It looks like a SSN. Some banks accept this number and give you a credit card. In some cases you have to give a collateral/security (CD or so).
You need an adress in the US.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally posted by kawoh:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I've heard it is relatively easy for someone apply for a credit card in Australia, but how about in other countries?</font>
Obviously one would need an Australian mailing address. But what else would one need? Australian tax number, or other sort of financial registration? Must one be a legal resident?
Old Nov 20, 2002, 9:27 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kawoh:
It is, particularly the NZ ANZ Qantas Visa. Particularly if you're overseas (ie in AU) most of the time.

Anyone have one?
</font>
I do, at least the Aussie version. Unfortunately, the value of the bonus points keeps gradually dropping over time and they've just upped the annual fee from $55 to $95!
Old Nov 20, 2002, 9:37 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SPN Lifer:
Obviously one would need an Australian mailing address. But what else would one need? Australian tax number, or other sort of financial registration? Must one be a legal resident?</font>
There are two issues here: what the bank would require and what they'd be required to require by the law. They'd be required by the cash transactions act to collect proof of your identity. It'd be very hard for a non-resident to have enough Australian ID, so you'd probably have to use your passport, which would tend to tip them off that you don't live here. No requirement for tax file number at all though.

There are a few things that are quite different here to the US. For one, all information on your credit record apart from ongoing commitments and bankruptcies, get deleted after 5 years. So, after you've had a credit card for a while, the banks have very little to go on but their own records. (eg. 3/4 of my credit cards are no longer on record with the credit reference agency)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.