Wiki Posts
Search

My check is somewhere in New Jersy...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2001, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My check is somewhere in New Jersy...

I sent Citibank a check to their New Jersy processing center to specifically pay for a cash advancement. This was two weeks ago, and I have yet to see the payment posted. When I called a week ago, Citibank said it was probably just normal processing time and asked me to check again. Now it's been two weeks, I don't know what to do.

The check was for $2,000. What are my options? I wanted to avoid extra finance charges and that's why I sent the check. If I had known the postal system was getting anthraxed, I would have done an online payment to pay for all outstanding balance.

I would appreciate any suggestions from your experience. Thanks.
Old Oct 29, 2001, 7:50 am

MHO: Call and check every day ... if it hits in the next few days, request a finance charge credit for lost time in the mail.

Depending on the balance, you may be better off in the future overnighting the check or paying up to $9.95 to do a check by phone. (If you ask really nice, sometimes this fee is waived.)

------------------
On the road,
In the air,
I enjoy travel
From here to there.
Old Oct 29, 2001, 2:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ontheroad:
you may be better off in the future overnighting the check or paying up to $9.95 to do a check by phone.</font>
I can't believe there's any fee at all. Both NWA Visa and Amex allow you to do a check by phone anytime at no cost. The NWA Visa even allows you to use a phone check to effectively increase your monthly credit limit. For example, your limit is $10K. You charge $10K, then call and pay it off. As soon as it's paid off (usually within 48 hours), your limit is again $10K.

Old Nov 1, 2001, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ontheroad:
MHO: Call and check every day ... if it hits in the next few days, request a finance charge credit for lost time in the mail.
</font>
Just in case this happens to anyone else, here's my follow-up:

The check to pay for cash advance finally posted last night (10/31). I called CSR and found out it was not applied toward cash advance when it should have been because I put a special notation on the check as Citibank instructed.

The CSR made the correction, but refused to waive any portion of the extra finance charge even though I sent the check on 10/12, almost 3 weeks ago.

The worst part of this whole thing is that the CSR told me I could have done a click-to-pay, and then called in to request the payment be applied specifically toward the cash advance. So I could have been spared all the tracking and calling hassle.

Among my premium credit cards, I have always felt the service from Citibank is substandard. Unfortunately, I need the Citi card for the AAdvantage miles. Is there a Citibank rep. lurking around here?

Old Nov 2, 2001, 7:56 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Don't feel so bad. Citibank isn't the best, but they're nowhere NEAR the worst. FirstUSA, Providian (yes I made the mistake of having one of their cards back when I was younger), and Chase come to mind as card companies that have their head so rectally impacted it'll take dynamite to extract. I always pay online for my Citibank account. Actually I do that for my Citibank, Chase and American Express cards. Never once has a payment been lost or delayed or misapplied. If you're not already signed up online, go to their website. and sign up for online payment.
Old Nov 2, 2001, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, I have been paying online. However, in this case, I was told if I had paid online, the amount would go toward the purchases first before going toward the cash advance. My only choice given at that time was to send a check to a special address in New Jersey. As I related in my post, since then I've learned that I could pay online, then call the CSR to redirect it towards cash advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.