general miles earnings

Old Dec 27, 1999, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

general miles earnings

What Visa card is the best to have/use when trying to acrue miles that can be applied to any airline? My current card is just for a specific airline and I'd like the option to transfer the points where I need them.
Old Dec 27, 1999, 10:37 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Not visa cards, but the Diners Club and the Sheraton Optima allow a lot of flexibility in transfers to airlines.
Old Dec 30, 1999, 11:00 am
Suspended

I had FIRST USA B.A. card but now they want an annual fee (1st yr was free).So I calledto cancel they asked why I said Im nom longer flying B.A.,they said they have a card that I can choose the airline I want the miles to go to from a list of airlines.If I remember corrextly it has a $49 fee.They are sending me the imfo but call 1-800-577-0633 and ask them to transfer you or to give you the 800# needed to reach that dept. I cant locate the # .
Old Dec 30, 1999, 5:18 pm

I believe that Capital One offers a credit card rebate program, where after charging a certain amount ($20,000-$25,000 I don't remember), you can redeem the rebate for up to a $500.00 domestic ticket with any airlines.

They charge a $19.00 annual fee.
Old Dec 30, 1999, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. Greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 3, 2000, 5:40 pm
In Memoriam

Yes, and with the Capital One-type programs you even earn miles on the free tickets (because they're paid tickets as far as the airline is concerned...just not paid by you). These can be a terrific deal if, for example, you're interested in European off-peak travel when fares are cheap but awards still want beaucoup miles. The one drawback is that the tickets come with all the restrictions of paid tickets - advance booking required, must stay Saturday night, charges for changes.

Of course, most of us have plenty of airline miles to use when that's appropriate to our needs, so CapOne can be a good adjunct for the times we can meet the restrictions!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.