Wiki Posts
Search

Find me a good V/MC...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 1999, 11:11 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Find me a good V/MC...

...that challenges AmEx or DC in terms of mile transferability. I've only seen the cards that are either affinity with one airline or you pile up "magic points", that, when added up to a certain level, get you essentially a voucher on a heavily restricted ticket.
Old Dec 3, 1999, 12:30 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Then you need to think the big picture. With airline alliances, Diners and American Express are no longer the single answer for flexibility. You can still use an common Visa or MasterCard and get flexibility. For instance, choosing either the Continental or Alaska or America West or the Northwest Visa will get you the flexibility of awards on any of these airlines. You could choose the American AAdvantage Visa or the US Airways Platinum Visa (good value) still the get flexibilty of awards on either two airlines or if choosing American the addition of Alaska and that's just the domestic routes. United and Delta, the same deal, though with that alliance it can only be a Visa from United because Delta has chosen to be exclusive with American Express....so far. Any way, hope this helps as I think you may find that you don't need as many choices as you think......

[This message has been edited by Randy Petersen (edited 12-05-1999).]
Old Dec 3, 1999, 12:57 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for the informative answer Randy. And welcome back!

And please pinch me and wake me if I'm wrong- but thanks for the NEW and much needed Visa/MC forum!
Old Dec 3, 1999, 3:57 pm
Original Member

If you fly Alaska Airlines at all, their Bank of America Platinum Visa has some excellent benefits and miles can be redeemed on quite a few airlines. See the discussion in the Alaska forum. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum8/HTML/000019.html
Old Dec 4, 1999, 12:39 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Randy, Alaska and American West don't have a relationship. But your point is well taken.
Old Dec 4, 1999, 2:17 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I agree with Randy. I rely on programs like ClickRewards for the flexibility to top off programs if needed, and other promotions like Healthy Choice which can be used for multiple airlines, and phone companies like MCI which offer the choice of multiple airlines, and Hilton double dip stays where I can designate among several airlines for the 500 miles.

With Diners, I have never transferred to any hotel, and mainly transferred the points during double airlie promotions to BA or Delta. So for me, the value of transfers is much more important than the flexibility.

I currently have the United Visa for which I received a signup bonus and a 1000 mile upgrade certificate, but I do not plan to renew and pay the annual fee. I will be signing up for the Northwest card towards the end of their promotion where they are waiving the annual fee for the first year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.