Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Both Hilton + Marriott cards for status?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2023, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I wish :'(
Both Hilton + Marriott cards for status?

Hey FT,

As I'm reevaluating my status for 2024 - mostly giving up work travels and thus Globalist (unless a new Fast Track opens up) and accepting that you can use credit cards to get many of the functional benefits - are there FTers that are relative free agents that just hold the Hilton Aspire + Marriott Brilliant cards?

With Hilton Diamond + Marriott Platinum, you're covered in basically every city in the world. No more trekking away from the hot tourist sites because the only PH is that far away. Globalist is definitely better, but I'm imagining that Hilton/Marriott isn't that bad especially for leisure travel and likely not in business focused areas/peak seasons. And having CC status means that there's no pressure to requalify one way or another, so being able to pick local hotels and niche ones whenever necessary.

As a follow up - are there folks who still stack them? Imagining a setup with 2-3x Aspires and 1x Ritz + 1x Brilliant will give more FNCs, and 2-3 nights at a place is a ton more flexible than just 1 (although points help with this).
Old Dec 1, 2023, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by yitianjian
Hey FT,

As I'm reevaluating my status for 2024 - mostly giving up work travels and thus Globalist (unless a new Fast Track opens up) and accepting that you can use credit cards to get many of the functional benefits - are there FTers that are relative free agents that just hold the Hilton Aspire + Marriott Brilliant cards?

With Hilton Diamond + Marriott Platinum, you're covered in basically every city in the world. No more trekking away from the hot tourist sites because the only PH is that far away. Globalist is definitely better, but I'm imagining that Hilton/Marriott isn't that bad especially for leisure travel and likely not in business focused areas/peak seasons. And having CC status means that there's no pressure to requalify one way or another, so being able to pick local hotels and niche ones whenever necessary.
I have Hilton Diamond (via Aspire) and Marriott Double Gold (via UA status link and Amex Plat) and I aspire to replace my Chase Boundless with the Brilliant card in 2024 when the two year window since receiving the Boundless is over.

I used to be Hyatt Diamond in the good old Gold Passport days, but without fast track promo Glob status is just not a realistic goal for me without spending a ton of extra money and making a ton of location compromises. And I really don’t want Hyatt’s footprint to dictate my travel destination choices.

All my travel is self funded. This approach - free agent with status primarily from credit cards - works for me. I am actually shifting at least some of my hotel spend over to AA Hotels so I can earn AA status and redeemable miles. This opens up independent hotels and also lets me earn AA currency at lower end properties where my Hilton status wouldn’t make any difference in my experience on site.
yitianjian likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

That's actually a good idea, we've been using Expedia/Booking.com to book some smaller hotels that don't necessarily have an online web presence - switching over to AA would be great
Old Dec 1, 2023, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
That's actually a good idea, we've been using Expedia/Booking.com to book some smaller hotels that don't necessarily have an online web presence - switching over to AA would be great
Long thread with lots of good info here: Bookaahotels vs RocketMiles - useability, experiences, questions, data points
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 9:45 pm

Hey FT,
As a follow up - are there folks who still stack them? Imagining a setup with 2-3x Aspires and 1x Ritz + 1x Brilliant will give more FNCs, and 2-3 nights at a place is a ton more flexible than just 1 (although points help with this).
I don't know what your spend is, but consider maybe the Hilton Surpass in addition to the Aspire. The quarterly Hilton credit is easier to use (I'm assuming you don't stay at a bunch of resorts every year), there's 6x on gas and grocery, and an FNC after $15k spend.

An IHG card can also be worth the investment if you go this route.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I am a fan of this line of thinking. Probably makes sense to pick two out of three of Marriott, Hilton, or IHG based on your travel patterns. Stack free night certs if you can get sufficient value. Takes a lot of the pressure off but you are pre-paying for stays. I've occasionally gotten really poor value from a cert because I had too many.

Also agree with nall: In my experience, Hilton Gold has been just fine in most circumstances and the Suprass can be a useful card. Amex has been unwilling to offer me the Aspire with any bonus but the benefits of Gold get you most of the way there anyway. And IHG Platinum can be handy in Europe or more remote areas of the USA. Lots of potential for upgrades, especially away from large cities.

There are restrictions as to how many of each time of card you can carry and they have tightened up over time. But this is quite doable if you have a travel companion who can also accumulate certs and points.

For reference, there is a long discussion in the Choice Hotels forum that their status is mostly worthless for points stays, because you can book directly into upgraded rooms, so no point in holding the card just for status. And Best Western tends to run status promotions periodically (and status isn't worth much anyway) so not much point there either.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nall
I don't know what your spend is, but consider maybe the Hilton Surpass in addition to the Aspire. The quarterly Hilton credit is easier to use (I'm assuming you don't stay at a bunch of resorts every year), there's 6x on gas and grocery, and an FNC after $15k spend.

An IHG card can also be worth the investment if you go this route.
You can actually stack two Aspires (and I might if I love Hilton, or Brilliant + Ritz). Having two $400 resort credits is useful, and if you have a stay overlapping the boundary it could be fully covered, or using Semi-Flex to pre pay. A Amex Gold has much better earn on groceries. and depending on lifestyle gas isn’t worth going out of the way.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I will add a caution: The annual fees can add up more quickly than you might expect.

I tracked our gross cash outlay for fees this year, not taking into account the travel benefits. Just cash out of pocket. It was almost $5000. We got good value from most of it and it's part of the budget, but I didn't expect to see a number that high at the end of the year. It's definitely given me pause and we may trim down some of the free certs next year. Those, in particular, we're sometimes only breaking even. Lots of options for cheap overnights near an airport compared to a $95 cert you never found a good use for all year.
notquiteaff and Martin999 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.