Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Do you care more about travel points or cash back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you care more about travel points or cash back?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by AvalancheCard
What if instead of opening the app you got a text notification? Something like, "I see you've been at Home Depot for a few minutes, make sure you use your *whatever card* to get the most cash back". Would that be more appealing?
That would creep her out, except that she generally does not have location services turned on anyway.

And I would probably find it more annoying than helpful. My mission in life is to reduce notifications, not add more.

Sorry, I know this isnt what you want to hear. As I mentioned in your other thread, I would probably (occasionally) use an app that lets me reliably verify or determine the merchant category.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:18 am
Original Poster

No I appreciate the feedback. Long term idea is to be able to pay with the app/incorporate Apple Pay.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:53 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
That would creep her out, except that she generally does not have location services turned on anyway.
That was my first reaction as well
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Definitely won't be going with this idea then lol
Old Nov 4, 2023, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Definitely won't be going with this idea then lol
You could make in an option users can enable (not: disable) or maybe even a premium offering. But I wouldnt make it the standard behavior of the app. I have uninstalled a ton of apps right away where the first impression was that it asked for a ton of permissions that I wasnt interested in granting it.
EmailKid and AvalancheCard like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

I'm guilty of that as well. Having an option for it would be a good compromise where it would default to no messages.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Both. More cashback is helpful and cash devalues slower than airline miles. Some hotels (Marriott bonvoy) have stingy points programs. SUB definitely helps.

gl with the app. non-FlyerTalkers will probably love it.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Appreciate it! Is there a group in particular that you're referring to or are you saying in general?
Old Nov 5, 2023, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Appreciate it! Is there a group in particular that you're referring to or are you saying in general?
my opinion is that people outside FlyerTalk will love such an app. People inside of FlyerTalk already use FlyerTalk to get tips to complement what we all already know. We mostly already know a lot as youve surely seen just in this one category.
Most Reddit travel people are on Reddit because they use all Reddit stuff and topics that range with everything. People here are here only to discuss travel and points because thats the ONLY thing going on here.
thus a Reddit travel thread will have people who want an app like yours.
most of us here think that we can manage travel and our plastic better than a travel agent and better than a benefits manager.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Yeah I agree, I think most people aren't savvy or think about what kind of benefits they get. Most people on here however seem to be on top of their game and probably don't need this app, but the feedback I've gotten here is actually pretty insightful.

Based on the feedback we've gotten from here so far we'll definitely add a "max cash back" and "max travel" display that shows both cards based on the location so the user can make the decision.

Last edited by EmailKid; Nov 6, 2023 at 11:19 am Reason: Back to back posts
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:25 am
Original Poster

You asked - I'm building (credit card matcher)

Some of you asked so I've decided to also start building a spending analysis generator. Here is how it will work:

1. Sign in securely with Plaid
2. We will analyze your spending and categorize your spending into reward categories
3. Our algorithm will match and suggest which cards will get you the best rewards based on this spending so you can get the best rewards going forward
4. We will show you the rewards you could've gotten with the suggested cards (you can compare what you got)

That's pretty much it and I plan on it being free. I think too often people get cards they're qualified for but people don't really know which card will best suit their lifestyle. If you would want to be an early user just comment below or shoot me a message. Look forward to building this tool! Hopefully it saves people some extra money and gets them extra miles!

Thanks!
pudgym29 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.