Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

How many cards allowed, and how to justify more?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2022, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

I've recently been rejected for a few cards (Barclays AA Red & Venture X), and both rejections mentioned having 'too many open cards'.

My credit score is good (around 805), and no delinquencies, but I do have 13 open personal cards ranging in age from 10 years, to 1 year.

I keep each card for a specific purpose, so would prefer not to close any, but I will do if it's actively stopping me from getting new deals.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the ideal number of open cards is?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If I had to venture a guess, I'd say fewer than 13! ​​​​​
Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:32 pm

It's not just a matter of how many. It also depends on which bank they are from. Each bank has their own limits. Also, how often you apply for cards can affect their decisions.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by toofast
I've recently been rejected for a few cards (Barclays AA Red & Venture X), and both rejections mentioned having 'too many open cards'.

My credit score is good (around 805), and no delinquencies, but I do have 13 open personal cards ranging in age from 10 years, to 1 year.

I keep each card for a specific purpose, so would prefer not to close any, but I will do if it's actively stopping me from getting new deals.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the ideal number of open cards is?
I opened Venture X 6 months ago, and back then I had 45 open cards.
Uchida likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Yup, forgot to post earlier that many posters said they had a score or more open cards.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:22 am

How to justify a larger than average number of...

How to justify a larger than average number of credit cars when applying for a new credit card? Cap1 denying VentureX base on too many lines of revolving credit. No definition of “too many” and no one will discuss. That said it appears the reconsideration line is open a viable justification for higher than average number of credit cards...no idea what average is either...would say apx 17 personal cards (one HELOC with zero balance) all in good standing and fair usage.

What reasons might a credit card company accept as justifiable reasons why a prospective customer would have ,any open lines of revolving credit?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I dunno… how do you justify it to yourself? I have WAY more than the average number of cards per American (random link courtesy of Google) and generally require that each card offers ongoing benefits that justify holding and perhaps using it. That may be bag fee waivers, annual free nights, insurance, elite status, …

But not sure that this appeals to reconsideration lines. They probably are primarily interested in card holders that are going to be profitable to them.

Given my aggregate credit limit and my average monthly usage, I don’t think I could justify the need for yet another card with the need for more credit.
Biggie Fries and Dr Jabadski like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yugi
I opened Venture X 6 months ago, and back then I had 45 open cards.
Wow, good to know!!

I really want to get the Venture X, and was looking at which of my cards I should close. I won't bother closing any of them given your experience.

I'm also at 7/24 and around 11 hard-pulls on each credit report, so there are other reasons for the denial too.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Wow, good to know!!

I really want to get the Venture X, and was looking at which of my cards I should close. I won't bother closing any of them given your experience.

I'm also at 7/24 and around 11 hard-pulls on each credit report, so there are other reasons for the denial too.
Total # of open cards isn't an issue IMHO but 11 HP might be. Let us know if you're approved.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I have a lot of open cards, but I also have a very long relationship with C1 dating back to the 00s, so I got a Venture back in 2019, which did the following evolutions:

Venture->VentureOne->QuickSilver->VentureX

I previously closed a Platinum that changed to a QS and subsequently opened a SavorOne.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
Total # of open cards isn't an issue IMHO but 11 HP might be. Let us know if you're approved.
I've been denied 3 times in total for the Venture X. I'm now on gardening leave until late next year, to allow my credit history to settle down.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
I was in similar shoes as you. You can see my posts in the C1 forum to see what I had shared. In the end I used P3"s info to open the VX card and added myself as AU.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by happychic
I was in similar shoes as you. You can see my posts in the C1 forum to see what I had shared. In the end I used P3"s info to open the VX card and added myself as AU.
Thanks, I'll checkout your posts. P2 already has a VX, so we're all good there, I'm just being greedy for the extra bonuses (referral and sign-up).
happychic likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Thanks, I'll checkout your posts. P2 already has a VX, so we're all good there, I'm just being greedy for the extra bonuses (referral and sign-up).
"Pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered."
Old Sep 19, 2022, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
"Pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered."
Yep, I got slaughtered!

I'm now on gardening leave until late 2023.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.