Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Travel Card in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I would like some recommendations for a travel credit card while based in Europe. I live in Germany and last year I started travelling more often (6-7 trips a year).

I should also add I'd like a card that is flexible and not airline or hotel chains specific because I do shop around and I'm not set on a certain airline or chain. Though I am considering joining Aegean Airlines FFP eventually.

Which credit card would you recommend for 'everyday spend' for a beginner in Europe? I would like a mix of airlines and hotels rewards combined for the sake of simplicity.

Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 28, 2022, 4:27 pm
Original Member

I have used this one successfully, . Note 2% cash back, no rip-off foreign transaction fee, no annual fee, and a bonus for enrollment.

State Department Federal Credit Union Visa credit card
  • 2% cash back on all purchases.
  • $200 bonus cash rewards when you spend $3,000 within the first 90 days.
  • No annual fee.
  • No fee for foreign transactions.
  • Doctor of Credit tells us how everyone can get this card for free by first joining the American Consumer Council and entering consumer in the Promo Code box.

Last edited by pgary; May 2, 2022 at 2:35 pm
Old Apr 28, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PolinaB
Hi Everyone,

I would like some recommendations for a travel credit card while based in Europe. I live in Germany and last year I started travelling more often (6-7 trips a year).

I should also add I'd like a card that is flexible and not airline or hotel chains specific because I do shop around and I'm not set on a certain airline or chain. Though I am considering joining Aegean Airlines FFP eventually.

Which credit card would you recommend for 'everyday spend' for a beginner in Europe? I would like a mix of airlines and hotels rewards combined for the sake of simplicity.

Thank you in advance!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Are you a citizen of Germany? Of the U.S.? Of some other country?
Old May 1, 2022, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by pgary
I have used both of these successfully, . Note both offer 2% cash back, no rip-off foreign transaction fee, no annual fee, and a bonus for enrollment.

Fidelity® Rewards Visa Signature® Card
  • Special offer. Receive 15,000 Bonus Points, which equals $150 cash back, when deposited into an eligible Fidelity account—after you make at least $1,500 in eligible purchases within the first 90 days of account opening.
  • 2% cash back: For every $2,500 in purchases you make, you earn 5,000 points, which can be automatically redeemed for $50 into your eligible Fidelity account. Note that this means that you must spend at least $2,500 on the card to get a bonus.
  • Fidelity Wealth Management clients can earn more than 2% on this card, up to 3%. Details.
  • 0% introductory APR† on purchases and balance transfers for the first 12 billing cycles.
  • You may deposit the money in most any Fidelity Account, including IRA and 529 plans. You must first have such an account. Before opening one, call 800-544-5315 to inquire about any special offers. Usually they have both free trades and cash bonus offers available.
  • No annual fee.
  • No fee for foreign transactions.
I have this card and you’re wrong, there’s a 1% foreign transaction fee. If you follow your own link, you will see this language on the page:

Foreign Transaction fee: 1% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in US dollars. 1% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in a foreign currency.”
Old May 2, 2022, 2:37 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I have this card and you’re wrong, there’s a 1% foreign transaction fee. If you follow your own link, you will see this language on the page:

Foreign Transaction fee: 1% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in US dollars. 1% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in a foreign currency.”
It was correct when posted it. I was also surprised.

I fixed the post. Thanks for pointing this out.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:39 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
At any rate, it looks like the OP was a one-post wonder ​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.