Search

Hilton Amex or MileagePlus Explorer?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Hilton Amex or MileagePlus Explorer?

Opinions welcome.

I normally stay in Hilton.
I usually fly in UA but haven't done any in two years.
50K CC spend per year.

I have Explorer, considering Amex.

Last edited by hotscot; Apr 24, 2022 at 12:40 pm
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Which Hilton American Express card are you considering? There are four: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/credit-cards/
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Why not keep both? Split 30k organic spending to Hilton surpass and receive 2 weekend night award per year.(Hilton temporarily allows awards to be used on any night)

I do not like credit cards with high upfront fees (Hilton aspire) where you always have to find a use case for credits of free night certs. Difference between Hilton gold and diamond status is minimal , especially at overseas properties.

Last edited by ovacikar; Apr 24, 2022 at 1:01 pm
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Which Hilton American Express card are you considering? There are four: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/credit-cards/
Probably no annual fee.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot
Probably no annual fee.
Ok then , you can get Hilton Gold status on this card with $20.000 annual spend. There is no need to spend more on this card per year.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
50K CC spend per year.
In what categories does that fall into?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 6:25 pm

I can’t compare, but we are Hilton diamond through the personal Amex and we have been pleased with the program.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Probably no annual fee.
Originally Posted by whitewave
....we are Hilton diamond through the personal Amex ....
Diamond status is bundled with Aspire ($450), not the free card.
whitewave likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Diamond status is bundled with Aspire ($450), not the free card.
We don’t have aspire. My Amex bill that we pay off every month is about 7-8k a month. We started at I think gold and have spent our way up to diamond. We are lucky if the bill is only about 2k a month.

ETA: we have had this card for about a decade or more. Maybe we started as silver… I can’t remember.

Last edited by whitewave; Apr 24, 2022 at 8:16 pm
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
We don’t have aspire. My Amex bill that we pay off every month is about 7-8k a month. We started at I think gold and have spent our way up to diamond. We are lucky if the bill is only about 2k a month.

ETA: we have had this card for about a decade or more. Maybe we started as silver… I can’t remember.
The no-fee Hilton AmEx card offers a maximum Hilton Honors Gold status upon attaining $20K annual spend.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...#benefit-terms

The $95-annual-fee Hilton AmEx Surpass card offers Diamond status with a higher annual spend of $40K.

The respective "complimentary" (no spend) status associated with these two personal cards are Silver and Gold, respectively.

It sounds as if the Hilton AmEx Surpass card is what whitewave currently has, perhaps upgraded at some point in the past from the no-fee version.
whitewave likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Apr 24, 2022 at 11:55 pm
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The no-fee Hilton AmEx card offers a maximum Hilton Honors Gold status upon attaining $20K annual spend.

The $95-annual-fee Hilton AmEx Surpass card offers Diamond status with a higher annual spend of $40K.

The respective "complimentary" (no spend) status associated with these two personal cards are Silver and Gold, respectively.

It sounds as if the Hilton AmEx Surpass card is what whitewave currently has, perhaps upgraded at some point in the past from the no-fee version.
It is likely the Amex platinum Hilton gold status benefit.
SPN Lifer and whitewave like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ovacikar
Why not keep both? Split 30k organic spending to Hilton surpass and receive 2 weekend night award per year.(Hilton temporarily allows awards to be used on any night)

I do not like credit cards with high upfront fees (Hilton aspire) where you always have to find a use case for credits of free night certs. Difference between Hilton gold and diamond status is minimal , especially at overseas properties.
Conversely, I don’t see the point of a modest annual fee card that I have to put spend into to realize value if I am not committed to at least occasional stays with the chain.

I find it trivially easy to liquidate the $250 Aspire airfare credit on Delta and Southwest flights. A weekend in Vegas or Phoenix soaking up sunshine at a resort for $200? Plus up to $250 of airfare? Sold. Then I don’t have to worry about spending on the card unless it’s to my advantage to.
SPN Lifer and notquiteaff like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:12 pm

Just following up: DH says we don’t pay a yearly fee for the Amex. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Just following up: DH says we don’t pay a yearly fee for the Amex. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Great, there’s apparently a Mystery AMEX that’s not one of these and that nobody has ever heard of.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ompare/hilton/
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:37 pm

Yes, I thought I shouldn’t say anything because maybe the no fee card bumped us into diamond through purchases and I should shut up about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.