Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Frontier Airlines Barclays Mastercard, can you get a second one if you already have 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frontier Airlines Barclays Mastercard, can you get a second one if you already have 1

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2021, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - MM/Lifetime Gold

I have had a Frontier Airlines Barclays Mastercard for a few years now. On a recent flight they passed out a 50K offer with a small $500.00 spend. The "terms and conditions" say if you already have a card, "you may not be eligible for this offer if you already have this card". Most airlines allow you to get another bonus if you are a customer in good standing, and you meet the 24 month/48 month reuirements, but when I called Barclays, they could not answer the question. Anyone had experience with getting a second bonus with a Frontiers Barclay Mastercard?
Old Aug 14, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by dornec
I have had a Frontier Airlines Barclays Mastercard for a few years now. On a recent flight they passed out a 50K offer with a small $500.00 spend. The "terms and conditions" say if you already have a card, "you may not be eligible for this offer if you already have this card". Most airlines allow you to get another bonus if you are a customer in good standing, and you meet the 24 month/48 month reuirements, but when I called Barclays, they could not answer the question. Anyone had experience with getting a second bonus with a Frontiers Barclay Mastercard?
The short answer is yes.

First - it is the credit card issuer determining if you meet the eligibility, not the airline (unless you are blacklisted by the airline). Second - Barclays makes its term as ambiguous as possible to avoid a definitive interpretation. But practically, as soon as you have waited some times (~ 1-2 years) after closing the original account, Barclays will usually allow another bonus.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Ok, but I still have the account open as I have had the card for almost 4 years and still use if from time to time. Any experience with still having a Barclays card open and getting a new one with the bonus miles?
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Ok, but I still have the account open as I have had the card for almost 4 years and still use if from time to time. Any experience with still having a Barclays card open and getting a new one with the bonus miles?
Then no. Keeping an account open will prevent you from getting anything.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by garykung
The short answer is yes.

First - it is the credit card issuer determining if you meet the eligibility, not the airline (unless you are blacklisted by the airline). Second - Barclays makes its term as ambiguous as possible to avoid a definitive interpretation. But practically, as soon as you have waited some times (~ 1-2 years) after closing the original account, Barclays will usually allow another bonus.
The Barclays' card I was turned down for had a 24 mo. waiting period from time of closing the previous card. I'd assume 24 mo. for all their cards just to be safe.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:51 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Then no. Keeping an account open will prevent you from getting anything.
Yup, pretty standard, one would think.

Originally Posted by philemer
The Barclays' card I was turned down for had a 24 mo. waiting period from time of closing the previous card. I'd assume 24 mo. for all their cards just to be safe.
Hopefully not a Frontier card.

Sorry to say, outside of some oddball situation, I just don't see an upside to flying an airline like Frontier (or Spirit). There is a reason why one could get (if one didn't already have a card) 50K points with $500 spend
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Agree, normally would not look at Frontier again. However, sometimes they have great domestic flights for low miles. For now, I have kinda run out of options with Chase and their 5/24 rule, have all the Citi bank cards on AA available, and just got the latest Amex Delta card for 75K miles, so thought I'd go for the Frontier card again while I wait for something to open with Chase and/or Citi bank. BTW, the alleged "once in a lifetime" with Amex is not true, at least in my case. I have gotten the Gold Amex Delta card for the third time over the past 8-9 years, the latest was 3 months ago, same Gold card but system pushed me through anyway!.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... the alleged "once in a lifetime" with Amex is not true,....
It's true is it appears in the terms of a specific offer, otherwise not. Discussion here: How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.