Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

100K USD spend overseas (HKG) on cards - apply for which...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2021, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star

I will have to spend 100k USD overseas and on credit cards. What cards should I apply for either for cash back or points?

Likely will apply for Amex Gold (295 annual fee 60k bonus). What else?

I already have citi premier, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Amex Platinum.

Have a bunch of Korean Skypass for Skyteam awards and bunch of Avianca for *A awards.

Thanks FT
Old May 20, 2021, 8:37 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by chichow
I will have to spend 100k USD overseas and on credit cards. What cards should I apply for either for cash back or points?

Likely will apply for Amex Gold (295 annual fee 60k bonus). What else?

I already have citi premier, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Amex Platinum.

Have a bunch of Korean Skypass for Skyteam awards and bunch of Avianca for *A awards.

Thanks FT
You should ask yourself first:
What countries?
Type of spending
What you want? miles or CB?
What loyalty program(s) you want to build.

For large spending, I'll consider the loyalty programs first. Some CCs have bonus at various levels. If you do not chase those, then you need to look at the CC earning rate and your type of spending. If you spend mostly on travel, sure charge them on airline and travel cards....
Old May 23, 2021, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by RedSun
You should ask yourself first:
What countries?
Type of spending
What you want? miles or CB?
What loyalty program(s) you want to build.

For large spending, I'll consider the loyalty programs first. Some CCs have bonus at various levels. If you do not chase those, then you need to look at the CC earning rate and your type of spending. If you spend mostly on travel, sure charge them on airline and travel cards....
Countries is one location - Hong Kong
Type of spending - retail spend
What do I want - I prefer points and then miles. Cash back would really need to be above 2% to be considered. As I am primarily asking about US cards for Visa and MAstercard typically lose 1% on the foreign transaction fee. Hence the prior comment on the Amex.
Loyalty: Loyalty is dead. ha ha . not really but I do think so for the next two years because of the travel limitations. I'll be lucky to have 1 or 2 trips to USA / UK a year for work now.

My main use case for points is for business class airline awards flights between Asia and the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.