Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Chip & PIN (PIN Priority) to Replace STCU Mastercard recommendation sought

Old May 15, 20, 11:47 am
Original Poster

I've had an STCU Mastercard with Chip & PIN (I believe PIN priority) for several years. Somehow my old card number got used by someone unauthorized, so STCU sent me a new card the other week.

I was informed this morning in trying to setup my Chip & PIN on the new card that STCU no longer offers Chip & PIN on newly issued cards.... the older cards were grandfathered.

Anyway, I'm a bit bummed. Was quite happy with the card.

I apologize if I'm not looking in the right place and my searches weren't very successful, but what are the general recommendations as of early 2020 on Chip & PIN cards in the USA with PIN Priority (I am not interested in Signature at all)?
Old May 15, 20, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Moderator action

Title edited to reflect advice sought.
Old May 15, 20, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
As far as I know, no new issuers have switched from signature to PIN priority. In fact, I kinda expect more to go away from supporting offline PIN over time as contactless cards and Quick Chip become more of a thing (such as what UNFCU did, which is have their cards only prefer online PIN).

Anyway, Andrews and SDFCU can still prefer offline PIN by request. I'd lean more towards SDFCU myself given my experiences with Andrews but YMMV.

BTW, as a general comment for anyone else who sees this thread, I actually recommend preferring issuers that offer contactless over ones that offer PIN as the former is quickly becoming the standard outside the US (for small-value purchases, if not all of them). UNFCU is actually pretty good in this regard (even if they only support online PIN) as in some countries, you may be able to tap it for larger purchases as well vs. most other contactless cards that may make you sign or even insert for those. A good alternative option is to set up your phone's mobile wallet as that will more consistently let you tap for larger purchases too.

That all said, if you know for sure that you need to be able to enter PIN when inserting (e.g. specific usage scenarios from past experience), by all means look for such a card.
Old May 18, 20, 5:34 am

This website has information on Chip-and-PIN credit cards available in the US. It also shows which are PIN priority. For the most part, they're available from a few credit unions. Diners Club is on the list as PIN priority, but they are no longer available for new clients. Store credit cards are also listed, but I couldn't find anything viable.

I just signed up for a PIN priority credit card from SDFCU. I had never dealt with a credit union before, and it was definitely more of a process than getting a credit card from Chase or Citi! I am an expat, which somewhat complicated the process due to having a foreign address. We worked through it though, and I was finally approved. I have not yet received the card, so I cannot give first hand experience of how it works. You choose whether you want PIN priority or signature priority when applying.
Old May 18, 20, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This might be another source that's useful.

Also, I know for sure that Andrews has PIN preference as an option despite the previous link. I had to specifically call in and request it, though, so I don't know if it'd be possible to get it immediately on applying.
Old May 18, 20, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
This might be another source that's useful.

Also, I know for sure that Andrews has PIN preference as an option despite the previous link. I had to specifically call in and request it, though, so I don't know if it'd be possible to get it immediately on applying.
Thank you! I hadn't seen that website before. I like how you can select the parameters you want.

The website I linked indicates that the Andrews card does not have PIN priority. Thank you for correcting that. The webpage says that it was updated on May 05, 2020, about 2 weeks ago. Maybe the author did not verify.
Old May 18, 20, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g289t View Post
Thank you! I hadn't seen that website before. I like how you can select the parameters you want.

The website I linked indicates that the Andrews card does not have PIN priority. Thank you for correcting that. The webpage says that it was updated on May 05, 2020, about 2 weeks ago. Maybe the author did not verify.
The author might have gone based on public website info, too, which may not necessarily indicate that PIN preference is available. I only heard about the option from posts online, for instance.
Old May 18, 20, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Some good links! I did see the list showing PIN vs Signature.

Thanks for the tip on the contactless pay as well. I admit I really have not investigated that at all.

My main reason for looking for PIN priority is really just for security. Lived in Germany awhile and grew to really love EC-Karte and Chip+PIN credit cards and the fact they couldn't simply be swiped and a scribble on paper by an unauthorized user.
Old May 19, 20, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Jerome10 View Post
...they couldn't simply be swiped and a scribble on paper by an unauthorized user.
While this sounds bad, it doesn't seem to be such a big problem in real life. If it was, the feature wouldn't exist. It is standard in the US, and the US uses credit cards very heavily. The credit card companies are liable for unauthorized charges, and they'd stop it in a hurry if it cost them.
Old May 19, 20, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g289t View Post
While this sounds bad, it doesn't seem to be such a big problem in real life. If it was, the feature wouldn't exist. It is standard in the US, and the US uses credit cards very heavily. The credit card companies are liable for unauthorized charges, and they'd stop it in a hurry if it cost them.
PIN has tended to be mandated at a government level in the countries that have it, though. And when signature does happen, it's scrutinized a lot more heavily than it is in the US (where it might as well not be asked for).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: