Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Airline credit card - spend miles vs flown miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline credit card - spend miles vs flown miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Question Airline credit card - spend miles vs flown miles

Might be a noob question. So with airline credit cards, does one get miles as below

As an example, Delta platinum Card is used to buy Delta tickets of $1000, which one of below is applicable
  • Option A - X miles per $ spent to buy tickets will be deposited to Delta sky miles + after taking the flight additional miles will be deposited for the actual flight itself (for platinum it indicates, 4 extra miles per $ in addition to 5 miles per $ i.e. total of 9 miles per $ spent. So if customer spends 1000, there will be 9000 miles from card + Additional miles? for the actual flight)
  • Option B - X miles per $ spent to buy tickets will be deposited to Delta sky miles and no additional miles for the flight itself i.e. only 9000 miles for platinum customers
  • Something else
Airline credit card is just an example, goes same question goes for non-airline generic mile credit card.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
"A" is the answer. Miles earned for any spend on the card and miles earned from flts too.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
With a Delta Platinum credit card, you earn 2 miles on Delta purchase and 1 miles on all other purchases.

When you fly with Delta, generally you earn 5 miles for every dollar you spend after you have flown. Taxes and fees are excluded from miles earnings.
GreenBill likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by philemer
"A" is the answer. Miles earned for any spend on the card and miles earned from flts too.
A is not the answer. It’s conceptually correct in that spend and flying both earn miles, but the details are wrong. If a Platinum buys and flies a $1,000 ticket, they won’t get 9,000 miles from the card plus additional miles for flying.

When you buy a ticket, you earn 2 miles per $1 spent. So the $1,000 ticket earns 2,000 miles via the credit card.

After flying, you earn 5 miles per $1, plus if you’re a Platinum, you earn an extra 4 miles per $1. So a total of 9 miles per $1... but excluding taxes and government-imposed fees. So if the $1,000 ticket was actually $900 + taxes, then a Platinum would earn $900 * 9 = 8,100 miles for flying.

Add the two together and that’s your total earning. In this example, 2,000 + 8,100 = 10,100.
GreenBill likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GreenBill
As an example, Delta platinum Card is used .... (for platinum it indicates, 4 extra miles per ...
To be sure there is no confusion. Using a Delta Platinum credit card is not the same as holding Delta Platinum Medallion Status. The "extra" miles are based on Medallion status.
javabytes, EmailKid and GreenBill like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Smile

Thanks All :-:

Above helps and clears my confusion - especially it was confusing earlier to find references to 2 miles per $ vs. 5+variable miles (depending on status) mentioned in delta medallion section. It now makes sense!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:24 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
If you are lucky enough to have your company pay for your (expensive) ticket and have status, you can REALLY rake in the miles. Budget travelers, not so much ....

IIRC, there was a thread in UA forum where earning was capped at 75K miles. Yes, for one ticket

Not sure how DL handles it as I don't fly them (OK, in three weeks, for first time since my road warrior days over 10 years ago).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.