Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Keep same Barclays credit card but change rewards program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

I have a Barclays credit card that gives me Wyndham points (it’s a Wyndham rewards branded card). I would rather have some airline points instead of the hotel points. But.....I’ve had the card for several years. I have built a good history on the card and my limit is really high. Is there a way to ask Barclays to switch my account to one of their flyer miles cards?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:56 pm

Sorry but not going to happen. Barclay generally doesn't allow product changes, and even when they do, they don't let you hop from one cobranded program to another.

You can either keep the card and just use it sparingly to keep the line of credit around, or just cut losses and close it, but you won't be able to switch it to something else.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by kdm31091
You can either keep the card and just use it sparingly to keep the line of credit around, or just cut losses and close it, but you won't be able to switch it to something else.
This is not true. I called today and was able to move $4K of my Aviator Business card and open a Jet Blue Business card. The rep I spoke with “take it with a grain of salt” said you can always move credit lines around between Barclay cards as long as your credit score and income would qualify for them.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by junkemail
This is not true. I called today and was able to move $4K of my Aviator Business card and open a Jet Blue Business card. The rep I spoke with “take it with a grain of salt” said you can always move credit lines around between Barclay cards as long as your credit score and income would qualify for them.
But that doesn't sound like what the OP is asking for. While you moved the credit LINE, you still opened a new card with a new opening date. The OP wants to keep their credit history intact.

OP, I'm not experienced with Barclays in this matter but most companies are more likely to let you product change to an in house card rather than a co-branded card.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Moving credit lines around, no problem. Switching to a different product outside of the family cards (within AA, within Priceline, etc.), usually not allowed.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:06 am

Maybe I wasn’t clear. I called Barclays and asked them about this same thing. They looked at my history and soft pulled my credit. They said they would be more than happy to issue me a JetBlue card if I was willing to move some of my credit line from my Aviator card. I chose to move $4k but in the OPs question if I chose to move the whole line it would have been exactly what you were asking for. As long as you have a good history with the bank and maintain your credit profile in good standing they seem willing to do it. They did it for me. Aviator Red —> JetBlue Plus
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by junkemail
.... As long as you have a good history with the bank and maintain your credit profile in good standing they seem willing to do it. They did it for me. Aviator Red —> JetBlue Plus
Moving a portion of a credit line from an existing account to a new account is not the same as converting an account from one co-brand program to another.
spamman808 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.