Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Elan Financial Services closed my Fidelity account without notice; forfeited all of m

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elan Financial Services closed my Fidelity account without notice; forfeited all of m

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Keeping enough to be able to do a final redemption makes sense, but keeping $2k in points?
This is definitely not smart in hindsight. I can't recall if I chose auto or manual deposit.. Given that all of the points were forfeited, it might be that at some point I chose manual..
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by guoguo914
I called Fidelity Investment. They referred me back to Elan...
I think you need to escalate to management level at Fidelity, by explaining that Elan's conduct is the issue. Fidelity chose them. Fidelity should take responsibility for your satisfaction, and that includes a full explanation. I would focus on service, rather than the money, at the outset.
estnet and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
If there is no wrongdoing, the bank has no right to take away your points..
Although we all wish this is how it worked, it's not. Reward programs are pretty much unregulated and banks can do what they want - close your account, take your points, change value of points, etc. None of it is illegal. Every reward CC that I've seen has terms and conditions t that state they have the right to take your points at any time for any reason. It may suck, but it's the terms we agree to when opening the account.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't try a CFPB complaint anyway - just that the bank does have their behinds covered and is allowed to do what they want with your points.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:03 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by kdm31091
Although we all wish this is how it worked, it's not. Reward programs are pretty much unregulated and banks can do what they want - close your account, take your points, change value of points, etc. None of it is illegal. Every reward CC that I've seen has terms and conditions t that state they have the right to take your points at any time for any reason. It may suck, but it's the terms we agree to when opening the account.
Do not think so. The CC bank can devalue the points or miles, but it can't take your points or miles without any valid reasons. If the cardholder earned the points and miles, they stay with the cardholder. There are various consumer protections in place.

In this case, if the CC bank wants to close the account due to inactivity, then it should give advanced notice and allow cardholder to remove or spend the points or miles.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not think so. The CC bank can devalue the points or miles, but it can't take your points or miles without any valid reasons. If the cardholder earned the points and miles, they stay with the cardholder. There are various consumer protections in place.

In this case, if the CC bank wants to close the account due to inactivity, then it should give advanced notice and allow cardholder to remove or spend the points or miles.
Be very careful with this type of advice.

Points such as this are not the account holder's property and, if they were, would be taxable income at their fair market value at the time "paid."

Most people would be very much opposed to any plan such as you suggest.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:13 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Often1
Be very careful with this type of advice.

Points such as this are not the account holder's property and, if they were, would be taxable income at their fair market value at the time "paid."

Most people would be very much opposed to any plan such as you suggest.
I did not give any advice or have any plan.

If CC bank promote its CC with economic gains (points), then it is a deceit or fraud to take away this economic gain without any valid reasons. All consumer protection advocates will go after those banks.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I did not give any advice or have any plan.

If CC bank promote its CC with economic gains (points), then it is a deceit or fraud to take away this economic gain without any valid reasons. All consumer protection advocates will go after those banks.
How are you reporting this "economic gain" on your income tax returns?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:39 am
mia

This seems pretty far afield from the topic of this thread, but I don't follow the reasoning of this statement. Rewards earned by credit card spending are not taxable because they are a partial refund of my own money. Ownership of the points wouldn't change that. In any event other banks that have confiscated rewards balances when closing accounts have agreed to compensate the account holders:

JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Chase Bank USA NA have reportedly agreed to pay more than $2 million to settle a class action lawsuit accusing them of unlawfully forfeiting credit card holders’ rewards points upon the closure of Chase credit card accounts.
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...on-settlement/
farwest101 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:31 pm

How are you reporting this "economic gain" on your income tax returns?
The IRS has repeatedly ruled points are a rebate of monies you already paid taxes on - hence not taxable.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by mia
In any event other banks that have confiscated rewards balances when closing accounts have agreed to compensate the account holders: https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...on-settlement/
As that article notes, a key portion of the claim was that "Chase reportedly failed to inform cardholders that their credit card points could be forfeited at any time for any reason at Chase’s discretion."

So, no claim that Chase didn't have the right to do what they did, but just a debate over whether Chase had sufficiently informed the plaintiffs that they had the right.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:51 pm

As that article notes, a key portion of the claim was that "Chase reportedly failed to inform cardholders that their credit card points could be forfeited at any time for any reason at Chase’s discretion."

So, no claim that Chase didn't have the right to do what they did, but just a debate over whether Chase had sufficiently informed the plaintiffs that they had the right.
Right. Almost every CC agreement has language informing the user that the issuer can take the points at any time for any reason. If this was not disclosed, I understand the argument. If it was disclosed, there's nothing you can really do. They're the terms you agreed to.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by farwest101
The IRS has repeatedly ruled points are a rebate of monies you already paid taxes on - hence not taxable.
The only possible exception to this is if the card is used to purchase something deductible (i.e. for business purposes, or a charitable donation). Then, the value of the deduction should (at least in theory) be reduced by the value of the credit card points received, just as it would be if the vendor gave you a rebate.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:59 am
mia

Distinction without a difference. Chase did not have the right BECAUSE they did not follow procedure. Did Elan behave differently than Chase, or did they also fail to provide proper notice?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by mia
Distinction without a difference. Chase did not have the right BECAUSE they did not follow procedure. Did Elan behave differently than Chase, or did they also fail to provide proper notice?
"Chase did not have the right BECAUSE they did not follow procedure."

That's just what the plaintiffs claimed. This has never been confirmed by any third party, as the case never went to trial. All we know from that settlement is:

1. Nobody, including the plaintiffs, disputed that Chase has the right to cancel points if it provides proper notice that it has the right to do so.
2. The plaintiffs claimed that Chase didn't provide proper notice.
3. Chase decided it would rather pay $2.3M than litigate the issue.
4. The plaintiffs decided they would rather take $2.3M (including legal fees) than litigate the issue.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
What exactly is Elan Financial? I've seen Elan Financial VGCs from rebates/incentives, and they also seem to do white-label credit cards for financial institutions that don't want to issue their own cards (I received such a solicitation from a local bank today). Are they worth looking into like the big issuers Amex/Barclays/Chase/Citi, etc. or are they like a Synchrony Bank of sorts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.