Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Name change - What steps to take (regarding credit cards, credit bureaus)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to help a U.S. relative who has just had a name change (via marriage). I'm sure many others have gone through the same scenario, so I'm wondering if anyone can offer guidance on what steps to take.

She changed her name legally last week. And then she applied for a new social security card reflecting that name change. She will be getting a new or updated U.S. passport in the near future.

​​​​​​As far as credit cards and credit history, should she first call each bank (Chase, Amex, etc.) where she has had cards and then later contact the 3 credit bureaus; is this the correct order? Will she be required to send in any sort of documentation to the banks or credit bureaus, or can this be handled over the phone?

She wants to apply for a Chase credit card, and also a card from Barclays, soon (using her new legal name). Will that likely be do-able, or would there be some sort of lapse of time until the credit bureaus connect up her new name to her former name and its credit history?

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
We'll try this out in the Credit Card forum for now.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by muji
....each bank (Chase, Amex, etc.) where she has had cards ....
I think she will need a drivers license or passport with her new name before she can make the change elsewhere. This is a routine matter for the drivers license offices in any state.

Login to americanexpress.com > Account Services > Personal Details > Edit Name:

You will need to upload documentation reflecting your new name (copy of a state-issued I.D., driver's license, or U.S. Passport as a .PDF, .DOC, .DOCX, .TIF, .JPEG, .BMP, or .GIF).
muji likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:21 am

No need to contact the credit bureaus from my experience. Once you update one of your accounts, the new name gets automatically reported to the credit bureau reports.
Name changes via marriage is routine. As mia pointed out, some banks you can do it online. Others you call and they may ask you to email/fax/mail a copy of your marriage certificate to confirm the changes.

In my case I find it easiest to type up a letter along the lines of : 'RE/ Account # xxxx ; Please update the legal name recorded on my account to as followings : FIRST NAME: XXX LAST NAME: YYY. Please reissue all cards or other credentials to my mailing address on file.'

Pull a copy of your credit report and it has all the account numbers and the contact address. Postal mail those letters and copies of the name change document to each bank, and other organizations as needed.
This is not the fastest per se but I find it easier than calling everyone and having to send in a copy of the documentation one way or the other way anyway.
muji likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Thank you mia and Ragnarok !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.