Search

Grocery deliveries coded as Groceries?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Grocery deliveries coded as Groceries?

Have several cards with up to 3X points for groceries. Chase Freedom is 5X for groceries this quarter.

Anyone use such cards for the various delivery services?

Like Amazon Fresh (or whatever they call the Whole Foods deliveries)?

Or Instacart?

Or Envoy?

Or Uber?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by wco81
Have several cards with up to 3X points for groceries. Chase Freedom is 5X for groceries this quarter.

Or Instacart?

Or Envoy?

Or Uber?
I can't confirm all banks, but my Amazon Fresh purchases from Whole Foods posted to my Citi cards as Amazon
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or Instacart?

Or Envoy?

Or Uber?
Chase Freedom is not 5x on groceries this quarter.

Look:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedo...cards/calendar

It says April-June is GROCERY STORES, not groceries. So if you buy prescriptions at grocery stores, it counts, If you buy groceries at a drug store, it doesn't count.

So is Amazon a grocery store? Is Uber a grocery store?

Ie, if you use the right terminology about what the promo is about, you can answer some of your own question which only come up when you use the wrong terminology.

And as far I know, all such multiplier promos are by store type (typically as coded by MC/Visa/Amex), and not by what you buy there.

So delivery services are typically coded as delivery services (or the owner of them), and only sales rung up the grocery store itself tend to code as "groceries" or "grocery store".

But here's a thought: Anything you buy at an actual grocery store counts for the 3x/5x whatever. So buy an Amazon gift card in person at a grocery store, get 3x or 5x on that, and then use that to pay for Amazon deliveries (if Amazon lets you), this quarter or any other quarter. Or an Uber gift card for Uber deliveries. Etc.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 18, 2019 at 12:05 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well I'm talking about ordering from Whole Foods, which may involve ordering through Amazon.

If I purchase from WF in person, those would count right?

So I'm asking if anyone has ordered grocery deliveries from WF and how such orders were coded, since even when it's not 5X from WF, there are cards which give 3X or 4X for grocery store purchases.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
Using an AMEX Hilton Ascend, Whole Foods grocery deliveries code as merchandise, while in-store purchases code as groceries as you’d expect. I’m using my Chase Amazon Visa for future deliveries!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks, good to know.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, good to know.
Keep in mind that how they code on an Amex may not be the same as how they code on a Visa/MC.

But assuming they don't code as groceries in either case, it matters more who they reflect as the company that what they code as. Ie, no card gives bonus points for Whole Foods (if they code as merchandise) or the merchandise category, so if you are going to use a card that gives bonus on Amazon, you want to make sure that it codes as an Amazon purchase, not a Whole Foods purchase.

But like I said before, you may want to look into whether you can use Amazon gift card balances to pay for Whole Foods deliveries, because of the easy of getting 3x to 5x on Amazon gift cards purchased in person. The Amazon card only gives cash back, so if you value transferable points more than cash back, the Amazon card may not be as good as a grocery store multiplier on Amazon gift cards.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Ah yes, gonna have to remember to look into buying Amazon gift cards at Staples with my Ink Cash card for 5X.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Chase Freedom is not 5x on groceries this quarter.

Look:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedo...cards/calendar

It says April-June is GROCERY STORES, not groceries. So if you buy prescriptions at grocery stores, it counts, If you buy groceries at a drug store, it doesn't count.

So is Amazon a grocery store? Is Uber a grocery store?

Ie, if you use the right terminology about what the promo is about, you can answer some of your own question which only come up when you use the wrong terminology.

And as far I know, all such multiplier promos are by store type (typically as coded by MC/Visa/Amex), and not by what you buy there.

So delivery services are typically coded as delivery services (or the owner of them), and only sales rung up the grocery store itself tend to code as "groceries" or "grocery store".

But here's a thought: Anything you buy at an actual grocery store counts for the 3x/5x whatever. So buy an Amazon gift card in person at a grocery store, get 3x or 5x on that, and then use that to pay for Amazon deliveries (if Amazon lets you), this quarter or any other quarter. Or an Uber gift card for Uber deliveries. Etc.
I have a different experience with my TD Credit Card coding. Things coded as "Gas" bought at Wawa are counted as "dining" when I buy food and "gas" when I buy gas. Even though it's the same store and it's a gasoline store.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Barciur
.... Wawa are counted as "dining" when I buy food and "gas" when I buy gas. Even though it's the same store ...
Is one purchase paid in-store and the other at the pump?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:25 pm

Yes, so that might be different then, which would make sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.