Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Apple and Goldman Sachs to partner on new credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple and Goldman Sachs to partner on new credit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:35 am
ck8

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM/United Mileage Plus/Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Chase in 2013 no longer allowed customers to open joint credit cards. Capital One stopped offering the option about ten years ago before then, and HSBC scrapped it in 2010 and Discover in 2016. TD Bank and American Express have never allowed joint account holders. Wells Fargo stopped in May 2019. Bank of America and Citi may well be the only major credit card companies that currently accept applications for joint credit card accounts.
Thanks for the DP. As I did not realize that joint cards had largely gone by the wayside. Interesting. I wonder why the shift.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:33 am

Aren't you able to use household income and not individual income? My mom is a homemaker and was denied a BOA credit card because the application wasn't clear if household income was permitted (she's used that in the past and never been declined) and she ended up not putting in any income. After calling and explaining, they approved her based on joint income.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Aren't you able to use household income and not individual income? My mom is a homemaker and was denied a BOA credit card because the application wasn't clear if household income was permitted (she's used that in the past and never been declined) and she ended up not putting in any income. After calling and explaining, they approved her based on joint income.
The Credit Card Act of 2009 "permits issuers to consider income and assets to which such consumers have a reasonable expectation of access.” So if the credit card application doesn’t explicitly ask for individual income and you are at least 21 years old, the gray zone would in all likelihood work in your favor.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
It seems at least one of the major bill pay vendors added GS for Apple Card payments. It is showing up at banks that use that service and is a paper check it seems.

Account number is optional. What typically happens is if the daily volume gets high enough, it will convince the payee to accept ACH or wire payments making the payment electronic, but not always.

Because the cleared check is visible, you should be able to see where the bill pay service actually sent the payment.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:10 pm

Just got a push notification from Apple. 6% cash back on Apple purchases!
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Sweet! That iphone 11 pro is looking more and more doable...
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
It seems at least one of the major bill pay vendors added GS for Apple Card payments. It is showing up at banks that use that service and is a paper check it seems.
In some other places, people have said it looks electronic, but I'm prompted for an account number and zip code…has anyone actually given this a try and what information have you used?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ecs0013
In some other places, people have said it looks electronic, but I'm prompted for an account number and zip code…has anyone actually given this a try and what information have you used?
You can get all the info that's usually on the card from within the app. Strangely enough ITUNES doesn't "accept" Apple Pay so I had to enter my Apple card as if it were a M/C
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by sdix
You can get all the info that's usually on the card from within the app. Strangely enough ITUNES doesn't "accept" Apple Pay so I had to enter my Apple card as if it were a M/C
Sorry, I was talking about pushing an ACH payment from a checking account to the Apple Card. Initially, it hasn't been supported, but some people have been seeing it as an option when they go to add a new bill pay recipient on their various banks' web sites. In most cases, if it's a known recipient, you'd just plug in an account number, but some places ask for either a phone number or zip code of the receiving institution. Some seem to ask these data points to also differentiate between consumer credit cards, business credit cards, loans, etc. as the destination. I typically use this method for my other cards because it keeps me from having to put account and routing numbers in on each card's web site.

Officially, the only way to pay the Apple Card is either pulling an ACH payment from your checking account or using money on Apple Cash. This would be nice because ACH push tends to be a bit quicker than ACH pull in my experience.

By the way, for iTunes, it seems that the mechanism isn't there on the web or in the desktop client, but you can set the default billing source by going to Settings > Your Name > Payments & Shipping and then adding a payment method. "Found in Wallet" lets you pick any Apple Pay card and even reorder them based on priority. It feels kludgy compared to the normal Apple Pay interfaces, but it appears to stick across the account.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cuthroat
Nothing to crazy 1.5k to 4.5k at CVS daily depending on if there was a friendly working the register. The shutdown was most likely MS and cycling credit. 5k limit.

They did restrict the account 3 times before they closed it but it was all cleared up over messages. They didn't even ask anything, I just said my account is restricted and they came back in 20-30 min saying they cleared it up and I can use my card again.
I've spent less than $200 total (obviously no MS) and got a restricted account. They couldn't clear it up over iMessage or on the phone, so I filed a CFPB (wrote a very friendly inquiry)...
cuthroat likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by sdix
Just got a push notification from Apple. 6% cash back on Apple purchases!
Thank you for that heads-up, sdix! I was ready to buy an 11Pro and had looked in vain for Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. Apple's 6% back, and a better trade-in on my old iPhone SE than Verizon offers ($45 vs $18) makes quite a difference.

The phone is very nice, too!
msp3 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
Is it Check free pay? I just noticed in Walmart bill pay...
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Is it Check free pay? I just noticed in Walmart bill pay...
It's been appearing in many bill pay services, and asks for the account number and biller zip code for me, but I'm not sure what to use there. Officially it's not supported, but someone posted on reddit that it worked (didn't state which zip code, used account number for "online" payments).
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by ecs0013
It's been appearing in many bill pay services, and asks for the account number and biller zip code for me, but I'm not sure what to use there. Officially it's not supported, but someone posted on reddit that it worked (didn't state which zip code, used account number for "online" payments).
I’ve been trying to pay it no ZIP required but it keeps on erroring out “Oops! We’re having temporary systems issues. Please try back soon.”
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Anyone else running into issues tipping at restaurants with the Apple Card? It's apparently a thing according to reddit, anyway, and I'm wondering if it has to do with the physical card not supporting signature on the chip's CVM list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.