Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Apple and Goldman Sachs to partner on new credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple and Goldman Sachs to partner on new credit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by stimpy
You are focusing on the parts that do not matter. Of course there are no extra fees. They are marketing this to Apple customers. Not people who aren't earning a livable wage. It is all about the interest rate and what Apple and Goldman can earn. Plus the bit they get per transaction. That is the core of the business. The rest is fluff. If they cannot count on you to pay them enough, you get charged a higher interest rate.
I'm not really sure what you mean. Apple products are expensive... Certainly people who make a living wage own an Apple product.

Interest rate is all about risk and creditworthiness. There are plenty of approvals at 12.99% which is cheaper than the lowest rate most banks give.

There are already worries that Goldman may not profit off of this card for the long term... If they're lucky. I'm leaning towards expecting a recession within the next two years, so Goldman may not make a profit on this card until at least 2025.

I would say an industry trend where getting a SP with the credit line and interest rate is a breakthrough in the industry. I wish every bank had to do that. Apply and aren't approved? No harm done. Don't like the terms? No harm done to your 5/24 record.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I would say an industry trend where getting a SP with the credit line and interest rate is a breakthrough in the industry. I wish every bank had to do that. Apply and aren't approved? No harm done. Don't like the terms? No harm done to your 5/24 record.
I agree, this is a great feature for this card.
mikesyr18 likes this.

Last edited by mia; Aug 25, 2019 at 4:09 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
It's a card with no numbers, and no CVV information on it.
Unfortunately, it's also an indictment of our current payments system. If NFC support were at 100% (or even customer facing equipment in general), there wouldn't be a need to hide card numbers. Or really, any expectation that almost 100% of Apple Card cardholders would need the physical card.

Of course, that's a discussion that's already been had in other threads on FT ad nauseam.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
Unfortunately, it's also an indictment of our current payments system. If NFC support were at 100% (or even customer facing equipment in general), there wouldn't be a need to hide card numbers. Or really, any expectation that almost 100% of Apple Card cardholders would need the physical card.

Of course, that's a discussion that's already been had in other threads on FT ad nauseam.
You already know how I feel about the payment technology in the U.S. I still cringe whenever cards are swiped. I can accept not having NFC yet, but to still swipe cards when the EMV transition date started in November 2015 is a joke... Here we sit in almost September 2019 and we have crappy swipe only readers that offer no security whatsoever.

A fax machine, a computer still running windows 7, a swipe only card reader with no encryption, and dial up internet are not ways to run a business.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You already know how I feel about the payment technology in the U.S. I still cringe whenever cards are swiped. I can accept not having NFC yet, but to still swipe cards when the EMV transition date started in November 2015 is a joke... Here we sit in almost September 2019 and we have crappy swipe only readers that offer no security whatsoever.

A fax machine, a computer still running windows 7, a swipe only card reader with no encryption, and dial up internet are not ways to run a business.
I'll cut a bit of slack for Windows 7, at least for another few months; support doesn't end until January 2020. There does need to be a migration plan actively being worked on though.

As for NFC, why shouldn't we expect everyone to get it at the same time as the chip? The rest of the world is moving to contactless payment, after all. Being the only country that still inserts cards 5-10 years from now isn't going to be a good look either, especially if the cards still require signature when overseas (as I expect will be the case).
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:49 pm

I'll cut a bit of slack for Windows 7, at least for another few months; support doesn't end until January 2020. There does need to be a migration plan actively being worked on though.

As for NFC, why shouldn't we expect everyone to get it at the same time as the chip? The rest of the world is moving to contactless payment, after all. Being the only country that still inserts cards 5-10 years from now isn't going to be a good look either, especially if the cards still require signature when overseas (as I expect will be the case).
Taking signatures is the merchant's own stupidity at this point. Why do you need a signature on a $5 cheese fries order? No idea.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: none
Taking signatures is the merchant's own stupidity at this point. Why do you need a signature on a $5 cheese fries order? No idea.
Try telling that to merchants in the UK, they will ask to see the signature on the back of your card.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was referring to having to sign in other countries, not in the US. While signatures supposedly aren't needed worldwide, that's another one of those things that's not really going to be done other than most of the US.

Originally Posted by YuMin
Try telling that to merchants in the UK, they will ask to see the signature on the back of your card.
While I used contactless for the vast majority of stuff last time I was in the UK, I did have to use the physical card for hotels and they just used the signature on the folio instead of also making me sign the receipt from the terminal. YMMV, of course.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... I still cringe whenever cards are swiped...
.... Being the only country that still inserts cards 5-10 years from now isn't going to be a good look....
Who are you trying to impress? This is what free markets look like. Different players adopt technology, processes and procedures when it benefits THEM, not when it makes life tidy.

Well researched and written evaluation of the Apple Card from MacWorld:

https://www.macworld.com/article/343...elsewhere.html

As slick as the Apple Card is, its features are unique only in their mix, presentation, and integration into iOS. Doing business elsewhere doesn’t mean you miss out on real-time fraud alerts, payment reminders, cash back and the like.

In fact, the majority of the Apple Card’s defining features have been around for ages, and odds are they’re available in a credit card you already possess.

Last edited by mia; Aug 26, 2019 at 8:07 am
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Who are you trying to impress? This is what free markets look like. Different players adopt technology, processes and procedures when it benefits THEM, not when it makes life tidy.
I'm thinking along the lines of the same types of compatibility/convenience issues that happened just before the US adopted EMV happening again, just with cards that don't have contactless. OTOH, we as cardholders can more easily work around that this time with Apple Pay and the like (not to mention that some issuers are rolling out contactless cards).
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I won’t attempt an apples-to-oranges comparison with points-earning cards, but unless you’re in it for the software features or major Apple Store purchases, I still don’t see the point of this card when there are competitors like the Citi Double Cash that get 2% all day long, Apple Pay or not.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New Apple Card ad:

"Created by Apple" seems a bit oversimplistic at best, but that's their marketing for you.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
I won’t attempt an apples-to-oranges comparison with points-earning cards, but unless you’re in it for the software features or major Apple Store purchases, I still don’t see the point of this card when there are competitors like the Citi Double Cash that get 2% all day long, Apple Pay or not.
I will get 3% back on my IPhone Upgrade payments. 3% on Uber will be useful for me too. I am buying a new pair of AirPods at Costco though with another card as they are selling them for $30 less than from the Apple Store. So the Apple Card won’t be my exclusive card. Groceries I buy with the Amazon card since Whole Foods is across the street and I shop there a lot. I think we can have multiple cards and use the best card for each purchase. No fee for it so why not?
ck8 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:13 am

At the end of the day, the only reason the Apple Card is even being discussed on these forums is simply due to the level of hype surrounding it. This is flyertalk. Even the greenest member of these forums is NOT the target audience. The target audience is the vast majority of sheep that have never bothered to educate themselves on credit cards and the various drawbacks and benefits.

That said, I've always been a big Apple fan and not a heavy churner. I'm getting the card for the aesthetic because I can and it only takes me to something like 3/24 right now. I'll use it for Apple store purchases, Apple Pay purchases at non-bonus merchants, and for the purpose of whipping out the purty white card every now and then just to be an obnoxious snob... especially since I live overseas and will likely be the only Apple card holder in a 100 mile radius.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by baroqen
At the end of the day, the only reason the Apple Card is even being discussed on these forums is simply due to the level of hype surrounding it. This is flyertalk. Even the greenest member of these forums is NOT the target audience. The target audience is the vast majority of sheep that have never bothered to educate themselves on credit cards and the various drawbacks and benefits.

That said, I've always been a big Apple fan and not a heavy churner. I'm getting the card for the aesthetic because I can and it only takes me to something like 3/24 right now. I'll use it for Apple store purchases, Apple Pay purchases at non-bonus merchants, and for the purpose of whipping out the purty white card every now and then just to be an obnoxious snob... especially since I live overseas and will likely be the only Apple card holder in a 100 mile radius.

I don't necessarily agree that this is the only reason it's being discussed. I think the Apple card is a game changer in the CC market. From the ease of application - everyone with an iPhone can apply and be approved instantly - to the ease of use. Granted most of the FT audience is a lot more savvy than the average user however Apple is disrupting the traditional business model.
dw and mikesyr18 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.