Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Which Credit Card for light travel with EVA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Credit Card for light travel with EVA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Hello, I am totally new to the travel credit card game, so if this inquiry is best answered somewhere else, I would be glad to read. I just couldn't find the best answer elsewhere. And these are all my thoughts...

We are light travelers and have young kids right now, but would like to start saving points to redeem for EVA flights from ORD to TPE (going about every 2-3 years, perhaps). We may occasionally take a domestic flight, like once every year or two (we are in USA). What would be the best card for this purpose? I've kind of narrowed it down to Chase Sapphire Preferred and Capital One Venture (and maybe Citi Premier).

With CSP, I would use United to book an EVA flight. I can also earn MileagePlus miles, which can also be earned and redeemed other ways. So it seems I might be able to also keep these better since it's local to USA?

Or, with Capital One, I would book an EVA flight with Aeroplan or Lifemiles. I get more points by the 2x everyday purchases, but not have another way to earn extra miles. Also, I couldn't get many domestic reward flights. I will be booking a week-long Marriott hotel stay for work and could get 10x points on that hotel stay. This would get me more points this year. However, I noticed that it is about a $300 difference to book through a reward site vs the hotel's site...and is this worth the extra cost? I would have to end up paying a little out of pocket based on my stipend

With Citi, I would book through Lifemiles.

I'm considering Capital One primarily because of the quick earnings with the long hotel stay this year, but hesitant because of the limited transfer partners in case we didnt use miles for EVA this year.
CSP sounds good because of the partnership with MileagePlus and earning other ways. But, not sure if we would have enough for a reward flight this year.
If I started with one card and then got another the next year, I don't quite get if I would be able to combine miles at any point. ..?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!!

And I'm also considering the United Explorer Card as they have a 65,000 sign on bonus right now! But not sure if this is best after redeeming the needed miles for one flight.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jan 5, 2019 at 7:22 am Reason: Back to back posts
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: IHG Gold, AS, KE, WN, UA
Just curious, why are you considering the Venture card for Aeroplan and Lifemiles but not Mileagelands? Is award redemption that tricky or that much more expensive using EVA's own FFP? You'd have 60K Cap1 miles after meeting the minimum spend, which would mean 40K Mileagelands miles.

Both Capital One and Chase let you combine points from different accounts online. If you go with Chase, you can transfer points from the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited cards to your CSP. If you go with Cap1, you can transfer points from the Savor card to your Venture. In order to combine points within any program you will have to keep at least one account open.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

I did know that about Chase, but that's helpful to know about the Capital One Venture and Savor cards. Thanks!

Redemption through MileageLands is 110,000 miles roundtrip, where it is between 65,000-75,000 through other airline loyalty programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.