Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Traveling to the UK and Ireland next March - should we get a proper chip & pin card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to the UK and Ireland next March - should we get a proper chip & pin card?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:00 am

My experience with UK and Ireland is that 90% of the time a chip and signature card works fine. For the other 10% I just paid cash.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tmiw
Is there anything to indicate as to whether a particular one won't allow it? I suspect that the ones in London won't have issues, anyway.
I didn't have any issues at ticket machines in Ireland or the UK. But pay-at-the-pump didn't work.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by trmbn65
I didn't have any issues at ticket machines in Ireland or the UK. But pay-at-the-pump didn't work.
I'm planning an Ireland trip with a rental car for later this year so I'll definitely keep that in mind. How common is contactless at the pump? I should have a card with PIN support just in case but it'd be nice to just tap instead if possible.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I'm planning an Ireland trip with a rental car for later this year so I'll definitely keep that in mind. How common is contactless at the pump? I should have a card with PIN support just in case but it'd be nice to just tap instead if possible.
There were very few pay-at-the-pump options. I always had to go inside to pay, as did just about everybody else.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by Charles4515
My experience last year was that CSR and other Visa cards did not work on the Underground loaded on Apple Pay. My Barcley MasterCards worked. I had read in advance of the trip that only MasterCard was working so I made sure to have a MasterCard loaded on my Apple Watch.. My Apple Pay had no limit at any terminals but I read then that there had been a limit and all terminals might not be converted.
Was just in London and my CSR worked fine via apple pay on the underground. I did take someone's advice to delete it and re-add it to my apple wallet just before we left for London.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by trmbn65
There were very few pay-at-the-pump options. I always had to go inside to pay, as did just about everybody else.
That works too. I would expect signature to work inside though, but we'll see.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:44 pm

That works too. I would expect signature to work inside though, but we'll see.
Yes. Once processed, 2 receipts will usually print. One for you and one to sign. Many gas stations will act confused at first, then have you sign. Although I did have one tell me that they don't take signature cards. I told her they do because it said approved. She was likely not well trained. But some may not ever see anybody with a signature card, especially outside County Dublin or other touristy areas (I lived in County Kildare).
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:44 pm

Pay at the pump is rare in the UK and Ireland (Australia too). There's something about speaking English and not being in North America that compels people to go into gas petrol stations. If the station is closed, you're not getting any fuel even if you're local. Great fun on Christmas Day. Meanwhile in BE/NL we have stations that don't even have a shop or employees, just a cardlock and a couple pumps.

I've seen a couple supermarket stations in the UK with pay at the pump that left the pumps on after hours, but none of them would take anything I had. UK cards only, huge Maestro logo be damned
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:04 am

In Poland there is also no pay at the pump - it's pay inside after you have filled up. But our gas stations are open 24/7 in Poland - incl. Christmas Day and everything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.