Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming Flyer Rewards After Flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Redeeming Flyer Rewards After Flight

I was just looking into the Capital One Venture Rewards credit card and I noticed that the way you redeem points is to log into your account after you have taken the flight and get reimbursed for any flight you have taken in the last 90 days.

Im wondering what other cards work like this? I know many cards need to be used at the time of ticket purchase if you want to use points to reduce the cost of the ticket or pay for it entirely. Since I get reimbursed by my work for flights I would prefer cards that work like the Venture card that way I can buy a ticket, get reimbursed by my company, and then go onto my credit card statement and use my points to be reimbursed by the card company as well. I dont want to use points at the time of purchase because then it lowers the cost on the bill which would just lower what the company reimburses me.

So if you know of any other cards that work like the Venture Rewards card (or that also dont appear to reduce the initial cost, so the flight appears to be full price on the bill) please let me know.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Welcome to FT!

Try: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...ffer-live.html and the CITI Thank You card: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...u-rewards-739/
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve card will let you redeem after purchase of certain travel. You opt in to text-message redemption. After a qualifying charge hits your account, you will receive a text asking if you want to redeem points. You then have 24 hours to respond if you want to redeem.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

The Barclay and U.S. Bank cards you both mentioned sound like exactly what I'm looking for, thank you. I looked into the Citi Thank You card line and it doesn't appear to work the same way. If I'm correct it appears to work much the Chase line of cards where you book travel using points at the time of purchase and thus never spend actual money. I'm looking to pay the entire price of the flight on my credit card and then have the points eliminate or lower the cost after the receipt has already been printed (so I have a full price receipt to show my work). Am I incorrect in my assessment of Citi Thank You points? Can they be redeemed at full value after the flight has already been purchased or do you have to use them at the time you are booking the flight? I know the Citi Thank You points can be redeemed directly for cash at a very low rate (like points from most places), but I want to get at least 1 cent per point when I redeem.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I think your analysis of the CITI TY system is correct. Take a look at the Barclay Arrival + card: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...te-mastercard/ There is also a thread on this forum with lots of info.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
I think your analysis of the CITI TY system is correct. Take a look at the Barclay Arrival + card. There is also a thread on this forum with lots of info.
Yes, the Barclay Arrival Plus card is exactly what I am looking for so thank you for suggesting it. I applied and was approved for the Capital One Venture card yesterday and the Barclay card is now next on my list. I'm currently focused on cards with cash sign-up bonuses (or bonuses like the above two which are essentially the same as cash since I travel for work). I'll save the multitude of cards that award points that are best used on travel booked through the credit card for when I start travelling for fun (as opposed to work). Any travel card that requires paying the full price on the card (and then removes the charge later) will work perfectly, but if it reduces or eliminates the charge before the initial receipt is printed then it would be a waste of points because it would simply be saving my work money instead of me.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by erethizon
Yes, the Barclay Arrival Plus card is exactly what I am looking for so thank you for suggesting it. I applied and was approved for the Capital One Venture card yesterday and the Barclay card is now next on my list. I'm currently focused on cards with cash sign-up bonuses (or bonuses like the above two which are essentially the same as cash since I travel for work). I'll save the multitude of cards that award points that are best used on travel booked through the credit card for when I start travelling for fun (as opposed to work). Any travel card that requires paying the full price on the card (and then removes the charge later) will work perfectly, but if it reduces or eliminates the charge before the initial receipt is printed then it would be a waste of points because it would simply be saving my work money instead of me.
​​​​​​
In order to be eligible for the U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve card, you must have a pre-existing relationship with U.S. Bank. If there is no U.S. Bank branch where you live, you can satisfy the relationship requirement by getting another U.S. Bank card -- such as the Radisson Rewards card -- and then waiting a few months before applying for the Altitude Reserve card.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
​​​​​​
In order to be eligible for the U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve card, you must have a pre-existing relationship with U.S. Bank. If there is no U.S. Bank branch where you live, you can satisfy the relationship requirement by getting another U.S. Bank card -- such as the Radisson Rewards card -- and then waiting a few months before applying for the Altitude Reserve card.
That's very useful to know. I'll add that to my notes and look into the best options for a U.S. Bank card to get first. Much appreciation for the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.