Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

What protection can a credit card offer for self-connecting with different airlines??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What protection can a credit card offer for self-connecting with different airlines??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mia
Note that cards issued by American Express (USA) do not include travel insurance that would cover these types of events.
Yes, that is correct.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

In the meantime, I found this website: kiwi.com that offers a free guarantee for inter-airline connections.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by emilio911
In the meantime, I found this website: kiwi.com that offers a free guarantee for inter-airline connections.
I can drive a truck through the loopholes/terms

(Rebook or refund)
This decision is yours when there's less than 48 hours until departure, otherwise we choose.

The force majeur terms means weather delay/strikes won't apply, only aircraft issues

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 1, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
I can drive a truck through the loopholes/terms

(Rebook or refund)
This decision is yours when there's less than 48 hours until departure, otherwise we choose.

The force majeur terms means weather delay/strikes won't apply, only aircraft issues
Good to know!

Found this thread also: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ir_Travel.html

Last edited by emilio911; Aug 1, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Short of airlines that explicitly offer protection on self-connects like AA or CX, or a willingness to throw yourself on the mercy of a gate agent, I would not expect anyone to have a policy that will reliably bail you out in this scenario. "Reliably" being the keyword, as these insurance policies are a minefield of loopholes and wigglewords.

That's not to say I've never self-connected, but I've only done it when the consequences were acceptable. E.g., an Asia-LAX award ticket with a purchased flight on to DEN, knowing that if I blow the connection, a walk-up fare on that route is only a few hundred bucks and there are 20+ flights a day that can get me home. Essentially, I'm self-insuring that connection.

I've done it in the other direction as well (short-haul connecting to expensive long-haul) but I've given myself 8-12 hours to make the connection and made a day out of the long layover.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:11 pm

Any cards offer insurance that would cover missing connection on separate PNR?

Flying MSP-LGA-EWR (yes, I know)-HKG-CEB and then need to catch another flight to an island in the Philippines. Nervous about booking a low-cost ph ticket now because it will definitely be on another PNR and I would put the chances of missing one leg (and thus boning our entire iten) as pretty great.) Last year we missed our connection in Shanghai and because of that missed our flights in Bangkok and the LCC wasn't willing to help. Had to buy very expensive tickets at the airport counter the day of the flight.

So.... any cards (or even 3rd party insurance) that would cover us in this instance?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have moved your question into a thread from July which addressed the same issue. Please scroll back to review.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wotan2525
Flying MSP-LGA-EWR (yes, I know)-HKG-CEB and then need to catch another flight to an island in the Philippines. Nervous about booking a low-cost ph ticket now because it will definitely be on another PNR and I would put the chances of missing one leg (and thus boning our entire iten) as pretty great.) Last year we missed our connection in Shanghai and because of that missed our flights in Bangkok and the LCC wasn't willing to help. Had to buy very expensive tickets at the airport counter the day of the flight.

So.... any cards (or even 3rd party insurance) that would cover us in this instance?
Which flight(s) will be on the separate itinerary?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wotan2525
....then need to catch another flight to an island in the Philippines. ....
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Which flight(s) will be on the separate itinerary?
I read it to be the flight from CEB to another airport in the Philippines.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The problem here is that people use the term "connection" when they should not. Separate tickets are not connections of any kind, "self" or not. The Kiwi speaks of connections on multiple carriers. That has nothing to do with selarate tickets (not PNRs, bookings, or other terms).

If you are on separate tickets (with the exception of AA-to-AA or OW or CX-CX), the risk of no show is 100% on you as the traveler and it is hard to find insurance to cover that situation. If, on the other hand, you are on a single ticket, you have a connection and it is the responsibility of the late-delivering carrier to handle the rebooking.

When looking at insurance policies and other forms of guarantee, reading the definitions themselves is essential. A good example is in the kiwi site which states that it provides coverage and then exempts force majeure and later defines that to include bad weather.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Short of airlines that explicitly offer protection on self-connects like AA or CX, or a willingness to throw yourself on the mercy of a gate agent, I would not expect anyone to have a policy that will reliably bail you out in this scenario. "Reliably" being the keyword, as these insurance policies are a minefield of loopholes and wigglewords.

That's not to say I've never self-connected, but I've only done it when the consequences were acceptable. E.g., an Asia-LAX award ticket with a purchased flight on to DEN, knowing that if I blow the connection, a walk-up fare on that route is only a few hundred bucks and there are 20+ flights a day that can get me home. Essentially, I'm self-insuring that connection.

I've done it in the other direction as well (short-haul connecting to expensive long-haul) but I've given myself 8-12 hours to make the connection and made a day out of the long layover.
Self-insuring is the key term. When I'm connecting long haul (infrequent) to short hop, regional flights in Asia (frequent), my risk tolerance is much higher. I've self connected as few as 2 hours and I either have 2 tickets for short hops, both refundable. I've missed connection once, as soon as I realized I was not going to make it, I canceled that and proceeded to Plan B. Going reverse (connecting regional to long haul), I'm absolutely building margins for delays, at the minimum overnight stay (12 hours min) or even stopover in connecting cities as the consequence/loss would be much higher.

I never buy trip insurance, it's one of the biggest scams out there, good luck trying to make claims.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I read it to be the flight from CEB to another airport in the Philippines.
Correct. I'd love to be able to add this flight to the end of my AA/CX booking but they don't offer any service nor does any other OW provider in that region that I can find.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Tend to agree with vincewy

I was lucky enough to book that Hong Kong Airlines LAX-Asia fare in Biz mistake fare (that they much to my surprise honored ^ ), and I found the PERFECT positioning flight with a few hours in case of late arrival at a great price

What did I book? Not the perfect flight (which in the end went out OK and arrived on time), but I flew in a day before and paid for a cheap hotel (with shuttle to LAX) because I wanted to be able to sleep the last two nights before my journey @:-)

Different folks have different risk tolerances ..... back to the OP:

Given how full flights are these days (at least the few I've been on), I would imagine whoever paid for missed connections in US would go broke because the flights are full and last minute fares are insane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.