Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Credit card surcharge with immediate credit in the wild

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit card surcharge with immediate credit in the wild

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw
Thinking about it more, I suspect they actually wouldn't remove the surcharge if you give them a debit card. It almost seems easier for them to get their processor to remove debit support altogether from their terminals and route everything over Visa/MC if they're truly paying more for such transactions.
I think the patent calls for the software to somehow identify a debit card vs. a credit card.

I wonder if they would fee a debit card even if it was run as credit? I don't think the networks allow that...

And to be clear here in Reno and Carson City, NV the Dairy Queens surcharge you .59 ESF for card use. There is no charge then discount... that is only in California due to the laws there. And I have walked out of both locations after ordering and gone elsewhere when learning of this surcharge.

I have a real problem with surcharges in general, but especially one that is clearly more than it costs to process the card. Unless you spent about $20 at Dairy Queen, it isn't costing them .59 to process the card. If I go spend $5 there on a card they pay probably .20 to process the card yet surcharge me .59 and that is simply not right.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by storewanderer
I have a real problem with surcharges in general, but especially one that is clearly more than it costs to process the card. Unless you spent about $20 at Dairy Queen, it isn't costing them .59 to process the card. If I go spend $5 there on a card they pay probably .20 to process the card yet surcharge me .59 and that is simply not right.
I do understand them a little bit considering that card processing in the US in general is higher cost than in some other places.

That said, many merchants do take it overboard and don't follow the rules on the subject (i.e. having surcharging/minimums for debit cards despite not being allowed and charging more than their own cost). The irony is that it should be fairly straightforward to code in the rules at the terminal/POS level now that chip makes it much easier to determine the kind of card being used, but of course, many of the surcharging merchants also can't be bothered to buy anything other than a regular cash register and a standalone terminal.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw
I do understand them a little bit considering that card processing in the US in general is higher cost than in some other places.

That said, many merchants do take it overboard and don't follow the rules on the subject (i.e. having surcharging/minimums for debit cards despite not being allowed and charging more than their own cost). The irony is that it should be fairly straightforward to code in the rules at the terminal/POS level now that chip makes it much easier to determine the kind of card being used, but of course, many of the surcharging merchants also can't be bothered to buy anything other than a regular cash register and a standalone terminal.
I have had this argument with some independent gas station owners before when using my card for a $1 or $2 purchase where they attempt to fee me .50 or .75 or some made up amount. How much does it REALLY cost you to process my card? Most insist it costs them .50 or .75. There was one near a location I used to frequent back in college who was charging .50 under $15 and told me he would "get back to me" and actually gave me my purchase free that day rather than run my card. He did some research and found he was paying about .30 flat on PIN debit cards and 2.something % plus a dime or so on Visa/MC. So the real cost to process my card? Not even 15 cents. There was no further issue using my card at that place, but they did start to run all small card transactions as Credit instead of PIN debit as a result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.