Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR NEW APPLICANTS, 10/5/18).

Barclays Arrival Premier costs $150/year, with first year waived but no new account bonus offer. Barclays calls Arrival rewards points "miles".

Arrival Premier earns two "miles" per dollar on all spending, with a 15,000 "mile" bonus awarded at $15,000 and another 10,000 at $25,000 in a year.

Arrival Premier "miles" are transferable to ten airlines, including members of all three international alliances, plus two independent carriers.

To compare with other cards, look at the ratio of dollars spent to airlines miles earned:
Base transfer ratio is $1 = 2 Arrival "miles" = 1.42 airline miles (Exception: Japan Airlines and Aeroplan, $1 = 2 Arrival = 1.175 airline miles )
If you spend $15,000 -or- $25,000 there is a 50% bonus: $1 = 3 Arrival "miles" = 2.14 airline miles (or 1.76 Japan Airlines or Aeroplan miles)
Transfer partners

One World
Japan Airlines
Malaysia Airlines
Qantas

Skyteam
Aeromexico
China Eastern
Flying Blue

Star Alliance
EVA Air
Aeroplan

Independent
Etihad
Jet Privilege
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival “Premier” (DOA RIP)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
Neither is good choice for foreign transactions.
Huh? CSP has no FTF. While Chase might use a "worse" exchange rate than most/all Mastercards depending on the transaction, I'm not sure that matters much to most people.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by flyaxa
5/24, however, isn't probably be a factor for John Q. Public, just those of us playing the game.
Serious churners are all wayyyy over 5/24
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by yugi
CFU + CSP earns you at least 1.5 miles per dollar with $95 AF. More than that, Amex BBP earns you 2 miles per dollar with no AF.
Originally Posted by tmiw
Huh? CSP has no FTF. While Chase might use a "worse" exchange rate than most/all Mastercards depending on the transaction, I'm not sure that matters much to most people.
Reread the post. I bolded the relevant part.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Neither is good choice for foreign transactions.
Agreed, we wouldn't use Chase Freedom Unlimited or American Express Blue Business Plus for foreign currency transactions, but to offset Arrival Premier's $150 annual fee one would need to spend about $5,000 in other currencies.

Less expensive alternative: Bank of America's Virgin Atlantic MasterCard earns 1.5 miles per dollar (plus a bonus at $15,000 and $25,000) with no foreign transaction fee for a lower annual fee.

Last edited by mia; Apr 6, 2018 at 7:22 am
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Less expensive alternative: Bank of America's Virgin Atlantic MasterCard earns 1.5 miles per dollar (plus a bonus at $15,000 and $25,000) with no foreign transaction fee for a lower annual fee.
A highly underrated card for sure. At $25K spending, it gives you more than 2x Virgin miles, which in itself are underrated. Throw in the huge sign up bonus and Virgin card is so much better!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Reread the post. I bolded the relevant part.
Agreed, I definitely wouldn't use CFU for foreign transactions. That doesn't mean a component in the aforementioned combo is bad for foreign currencies, however; +1x is still better than -1.5x or worse. Not to mention that for most people, the majority of spend is still going to be domestic.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia
Agreed, we wouldn't use Chase Freedom Unlimited... for foreign currency transactions...
For some reason I always think the Chase Freedom Unlimited has 0% foreign transaction fees, not sure why.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by wyogold
Only up to 50k pa though. Not good enough for serious Ms.
Good enough for most people. Amex is not good for MS anymore.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:47 am
mia

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
...think the Chase Freedom Unlimited has 0% foreign transaction fees,...
Alas, no. I think all of Chase's free cards apply 3%. (There is at least one exception, Amazon Rewards cards.)

https://creditcards.chase.com/cash-b...edom-unlimited

Last edited by mia; Apr 6, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CFU + CSP earns you at least 1.5 miles per dollar with $95 AF. More than that, Amex BBP earns you 2 miles per dollar with no AF.
But neither lets you transfer to AA. And they have 1:1 transfer ratios (to UA and DL respectively), not 0.7:1 or 0.85:1. 0.7:1 is better than 1:1.

So IMHO the big issues with this card are the annual fee and the lack of domestic airline transfers partners and the lack of a signup bonus, not the transfer ratio. A transfer ratio of 0.7:1 or or 0.85:1 or even just 1:1 would be fantastic for AA, because none of the cards you mentioned can transfer to AA. But of course, because Barclay didn't make AA a transfer partner for this card, even though they issue AA Aviator cards, that' (plus the annual fee) is what makes this card a dud, not the 0.7:1 to 0.85:1 effective transfer ratios.

IMHO, with a wavier of the annual fee and/or a signup bonus and adding domestic airlines to the transfer list, the transfer ratio would be wonderful, not laughable.

So I'm not saying the card is not a dud, I'm just saying it's a dud despite a good transfer ratio, rather than a dud because of a bad transfer ratio.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But neither lets you transfer to AA. And they have 1:1 transfer ratios (to UA and DL respectively), not 0.7:1 or 0.85:1. 0.7:1 is better than 1:1.

So IMHO the big issues with this card are the annual fee and the lack of domestic airline transfers partners and the lack of a signup bonus, not the transfer ratio. A transfer ratio of 0.7:1 or or 0.85:1 or even just 1:1 would be fantastic for AA, because none of the cards you mentioned can transfer to AA. But of course, because Barclay didn't make AA a transfer partner for this card, even though they issue AA Aviator cards, that' (plus the annual fee) is what makes this card a dud, not the 0.7:1 to 0.85:1 effective transfer ratios.

IMHO, with a wavier of the annual fee and/or a signup bonus and adding domestic airlines to the transfer list, the transfer ratio would be wonderful, not laughable.

So I'm not saying the card is not a dud, I'm just saying it's a dud despite a good transfer ratio, rather than a dud because of a bad transfer ratio.
Where did 0.7:1 and 0.85:1 come from? AFAIK, transfer ratios are 1.7:1 and 1.4:1.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Where did 0.7:1 and 0.85:1 come from? AFAIK, transfer ratios are 1.7:1 and 1.4:1.
Right now it's .59 and .7 (1/1.7 and 1/1.4) and I think what he is saying is that to make the card more compelling, the ratios should have been .7 and .85 to 1.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mia
Alas, no. I think all of Chase's free cards apply 3%. (There is at least one exception, Amazon Rewards cards.)

https://creditcards.chase.com/cash-b...edom-unlimited
United TravelBank card is free and also has no FTF.
mia likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:45 pm
mia

The transfer ratio from points (Arrival Miles) to Airline Miles is unimportant. Look at the transfer ratio from Dollars Spent to Airline Miles: $1 = 1.42 Airline Miles (or 1.17 Japan Airlines). This is better than SPG credit card, but not as good as Freedom Unlimited or Blue Business Plus, unless you earn the $15/$25k bonus which boosts the ratio to $1 = 2.14.

Barclays can improve the offer at any time, by adding a bonus or a fee waiver. For all we know there may be targeted offers waiting at post offices already. The product, however, is likely to evolve gradually. To my knowledge, Barclays has no experience with mileage transfer programs, we may have to wait from them to gain some confidence before we see an appealing refresh.

The fact that Barclays priced this card at $150 rather than $450 suggest that they don't really have a clear demographic target. There are not many travel cards priced in the gap between $95 and $450. Yes, there are a few, but because most $450 cards net down to $150-250 there isn't really much space for a true $150 card. They could fix this by adding a travel credit, but I don't expect it.
sdsearch likes this.

Last edited by mia; Apr 7, 2018 at 2:56 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by mia
The transfer ratio from points (Arrival Miles) to Airline Miles is unimportant. Look at the transfer ratio from Dollars Spent to Airline Miles: $1 = 1.42 Airline Miles (or 1.17 Japan Airlines). This is better than SPG credit card, but not as good as Freedom Unlimited or Blue Business Plus, unless you earn the $15/$25k bonus which boosts the ratio to $1 = 2.14.

Barclays can improve the offer at any time, by adding a bonus or a fee waiver. For all we know there may be targeted offers waiting at post offices already. The product, however, is likely to evolve gradually. To my knowledge, Barclays has no experience with mileage transfer programs, we may have to wait from them to gain some confidence before we see an appealing refresh.

The fact that Barclays priced this card at $150 rather than $450 suggest that they don't really have a clear demographic target. There are not many travel cards priced in the gap between $95 and $450. Yes, there are a few, but because most $450 cards net down to $150-250 there isn't really much space for a true $150 card. They could fix this by adding a travel credit, but I don't expect it.
The only dollar to mile ratio that matters is JAL, since most of us would agree that's only program worth dealing with, and that's worse than SPG (1.25).

They really have no clue what they're trying to do. Someone wrote that they think the miles transfer is just a minor side benefit in their eyes. So it's a a more expensive version of A+ with no added benefits and no 5% cashback redemption bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.