Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Replacement for Hilton Citi Visa?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
What is the earning rate without a Samsung phone? How is this implemented? Would aspenedelen need to accumulate sufficient points for the full cost of a ticket to realize this return?
3x on mobile payments (Android, Apple, Samsung). Each point is 1.5c towards travel via US Bank portal, which is similar to Chase UR portal with CSR.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by yugi
US Bank altitude reserve. 4.5% towards travel everywhere with Samsung Pay. That's my favorite for non-category spend.
Without googling this what is the % when you do not use the Samsung pay feature.

I will say we are behind Asian and Euro countries who have been doing this for years. I'm a 40 year who enjoys tech and saw this today at DropZone. I've never used the feature but going to seriously look into it
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by aspenedelen
Without googling this what is the % when you do not use the Samsung pay feature.

I will say we are behind Asian and Euro countries who have been doing this for years. I'm a 40 year who enjoys tech and saw this today at DropZone. I've never used the feature but going to seriously look into it
Why wouldn't you use Samsung pay everywhere? I wouldn't use this card without Samsung pay. I think US was the first to use mobile payments. At least me, I first used it back in 2013 with ISIS.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
US Bank altitude reserve. 4.5% towards travel everywhere with Samsung Pay. That's my favorite for non-category spend.
While I think the U.S A.R is a great card, I'm not sure if the OP is willing to pay a $450 annual fee.

... I think US was the first to use mobile payments....
That means absolutely nothing if most businesses don't have NFC installed. Other countries have had NFC in most merchants long before the U.S ever will have the feature in half of our merchants.

Yes you have MST, but if Samsung did not place that technology in their phones, the card wouldn't be as attractive as it is. The U.S needs to get with the program if contactless is really doing to take off.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Feb 17, 2018 at 10:06 pm
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
While I think the U.S A.R is a great card, I'm not sure if the OP is willing to pay a $450 annual fee.
It's $400, but after $325 travel reimbursement it's only $75 effective fee. Not sure how long this card is going to last before US Bank guts it.

That means absolutely nothing if most businesses don't have NFC installed. Other countries have had NFC in most merchants long before the U.S ever will have the feature in half of our merchants.

Yes you have MST, but if Samsung did not place that technology in their phones, the card wouldn't be as attractive as it is. The U.S needs to get with the program if contactless is really doing to take off.
I always pay with Samsung Pay, and I see that NFC is enabled in more and more places. I mastered technique how to pay at gas stations or a readers where you need to insert a card in order to activate a reader. So for me it works almost everywhere. Samsung Pay works with both NFC and MST. Samsung Pay is supported in S6 and above, and also in Gear S2 (NFC only), and Gear S3 (NFC and MST). And yes, the card would be much less attractive if there was no MST on Samsung Pay.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
It's $400, but after $325 travel reimbursement it's only $75 effective fee. Not sure how long this card is going to last before US Bank guts it.

I always pay with Samsung Pay, and I see that NFC is enabled in more and more places. I mastered technique how to pay at gas stations or a readers where you need to insert a card in order to activate a reader. So for me it works almost everywhere. Samsung Pay works with both NFC and MST. Samsung Pay is supported in S6 and above, and also in Gear S2 (NFC only), and Gear S3 (NFC and MST). And yes, the card would be much less attractive if there was no MST on Samsung Pay.
I was going to correct the annual fee number, but didn't have a chance to come back and fix it.

For those who don't like Samsung or Android, however, the 3x is more of a problem.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:30 am

I was going to correct the annual fee number, but didn't have a chance to come back and fix it.

For those who don't like Samsung or Android, however, the 3x is more of a problem.
Samsung Pay (or Android Pay) is just a tool to earn more points. There is nothing to do with whether you like it or not. Android/Apple Pay earn the same amount of points, it's just not accepted in as many places as Samsung Pay is.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:43 am

Samsung Pay (or Android Pay) is just a tool to earn more points. There is nothing to do with whether you like it or not. Android/Apple Pay earn the same amount of points, it's just not accepted in as many places as Samsung Pay is.
That's the point I'm making.

I hate Android because the touch screen isn't as responsive. iPhones don't have MST, so it would irritate me as a USB Altitude Reserve cardholder to see clueless merchants who either:

1) Have NFC enabled terminals but they're A) Out of Reach or B) Facing the Cashier
2) No NFC at all.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:17 am

That's the point I'm making.

I hate Android because the touch screen isn't as responsive. iPhones don't have MST, so it would irritate me as a USB Altitude Reserve cardholder to see clueless merchants who either:

1) Have NFC enabled terminals but they're A) Out of Reach or B) Facing the Cashier
2) No NFC at all.
Touchscreen on the latest apple phones is made by Samsung. So should be no difference here. haven't noticed any unresponsiveness of touchscreen on my current HTC.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:22 am

Touchscreen on the latest apple phones is made by Samsung. So should be no difference here. haven't noticed any unresponsiveness of touchscreen on my current HTC.
Could be software related as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.