Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Which USA-issued cards to take on international (Israel) trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Best cards to take and use on an international trip?

I have:
CSR x 2
Ink Pref x3
Ink Plus
Freedom x 2
Freedom Unlimited
Southwest x 4
Amex Blue cash Pref
Capital one Venture
Bank of America Cash Rewards with 75% plat honors boost)
AMEX Lowes
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Definitely not anything with a FTF. Other than that, are you currently working on minimum spends for any of those? And where are you going?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
When I travel internationally I take:

1) At least three cards.
2) From at least two issuers, preferable three.
3) Nothing that charges FTF.
4) And not all my cards. I leave some home.

Beyond these rules I use whatever seems like it will pay an appropriate bonus. The 10-12 cards I keep open at any one time offer plenty of choices.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I travel with at least 1 Amex 1 Mastercard & 1 Visa without FTF. I usually have 1-3 other cards in my passport case as backups.

My daily use focuses on two cards currently. Amex for spending within the bonus categories & the rest go on my 2% cashback card.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:29 am
Original Poster

I am going to Israel.
travel credit on the CSR's just reset so def going to take those to try and max that out, and we will have a lot of dining spend which should go on this card

cap1 venture has no FTF so will also take that

only other cards without FTF i have are the Southwest cards, which i doubt i would use but maybe i will take one just to have a spare card.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by gotkwah
I am going to Israel.
travel credit on the CSR's just reset so def going to take those to try and max that out, and we will have a lot of dining spend which should go on this card

only other cards without FTF i have are the Southwest cards, which i doubt i would use but maybe i will take one just to have a spare card.
Ink Plus and Ink Preferred also have no FTF.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by gotkwah
I am going to Israel.

Similar strategy on my recent Israel trip. CSR and an AMEX as primary cards. Much of our spend was travel and dining, good for 3% on CSR. Everything else we put on Amex. Chase WN card served as backup but was never used.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
When I go on an international trip, I try to not take too many cards. I do take:

1. EMV+PIN (chip and PIN) card which, for me, is a foreign MasterCard with low credit limit and which I have to pay the credit card bill in Canadian dollars. This is used very little, mainly in train stations with an unmanned machine.
2. No FTF Visa
3. No FTF MasterCard
4. optional - 4th credit card
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I would take sw #1 and #3 .
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'd go with the CSR & the Capital One (since they are different banks, in case of any issues you don't get everything locked by mistake).
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
CSR - dining, travel
Ink plus - gas
Cap1 venture - everything else.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I would do CSR, Cap1 and Amex. Just in case one card was flagged as fraud for whatever reason, you have a back-up.

From my experience in Israel, most places preferred cash unless you're going to more fancy restaurants. I remember the country being more on the expensive side. For example, $100 lunch for 3 in Jaffa. Yikes.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
I would do CSR, Cap1 and Amex. Just in case one card was flagged as fraud for whatever reason, you have a back-up.

From my experience in Israel, most places preferred cash unless you're going to more fancy restaurants. I remember the country being more on the expensive side. For example, $100 lunch for 3 in Jaffa. Yikes.
My last trip there was in 2014. I didn't use cash any single time. Mostly used CSP, Citi Forward, Prestige.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.