Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schwab/Fidelity vs BoA Gold: Checking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kayanco
What do you mean by relationship? What do you get out of it (I know the bank get your money and business, that part is clear )
You clearly don't know how the system works.

A relationship is established when you begin with a new institution. Banks evaluate customers like customers evaluate banks. To banks, they look at history, revenue, etc. to evaluate if a customer is worthy.

To better illustrate - a home mortgage is a perfect product. Schwab does not have its own mortgage products. It refers them to Quicken instead. Since Quicken does not know who you are, Quicken will have to underwrite the entire loan by the book. On the other hand, BofA (per your example) can factor your relationship in the entire decision making to work with its own customers.

For example, BofA could potentially forgo some minor credit issues and provide the most preferred rate despite the defects (i.e. working with customers). But Quicken, working with Schwab, will be forced to either approve the loan with a higher rate, require a higher downpayment, or deny the loan application.

For sake of discussion, let's assume you are using exclusively overseas (maybe your US employer sends you there). It's still not clear whether Schwab (Visa + reimbursement) or Capital One (Mastercard, but no reimbursement) would come out ahead (even if slightly)?
(I would guess that Schwab might still be better because I compared the exchange rate, and the difference for $1000 withdrawal was $ 0.5 - 1.5)
That's why I said this is a too small issue to be focused.

Circumvent? How?
Use a MC credit card without AF whenever possible.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
How do you deposit cash to Fidelity, Schwab or Capital One if there's no branch near you?

I got some cash back at the grocery store today, but soon realized that I didn't need it. As I exited, right next to the grocery was a national bank's branch. And I thought: If I had an account here, I could easily deposit the cash in my account; so his "might" be a limitation of Schwab, Fido and Cap One.

Is there a free way to do so?

Google tells me that some ATMs accept cash deposits? Has anyone tried this? Is it free?
Also, sounds like you could reload a prepaid debit card (with the cash) at some store and then transfer the money to your online-only bank? Is this free?

Thanks.
This is the one thing I lose without a B&M bank, but have only run into having too much cash twice in the last 10+ years. One was heading to the airport on the way to Europe and my "unbanked" friend hands me $1000+ to finance her trip. In this case I had my BoA card on me so I deposited it into a branch ATM and then pushed it to Fidelity by mobile app. I already had enough in the Fidelity account to cover both of us while it was moving. The other was a royal flush at quarter video poker - $1000 in 20s. I tried depositing that directly to Fidelity through a PNC Bank ATM (PNC issues the Fidelity debit card) but it failed. Ended up having to get the BoA card out of storage.

If I were to hit another royal next week I would probably just spend the $1 on a money order and deposit that via mobile app. I do need to look into getting a debit card for my PenFed credit union account. Even there are no local branches, I THINK I can deposit through a local partner credit union ATM.
kayanco likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

How do you deposit cash to Fidelity, Schwab or Capital One if there's no branch near you?

I got some cash back at the grocery store today, but soon realized that I didn't need it. As I exited, right next to the grocery was a national bank's branch. And I thought: If I had an account here, I could easily deposit the cash in my account; so his "might" be a limitation of Schwab, Fido and Cap One.

Is there a free way to do so?

Google tells me that some ATMs accept cash deposits? Has anyone tried this? Is it free?
Also, sounds like you could reload a prepaid debit card (with the cash) at some store and then transfer the money to your online-only bank? Is this free?

Thanks.
I did some research on this. Here are my findings:

Schwab:
Cash: Does not accept cash deposit at branch, nor at any ATM.
Mobile app: accepts both Cashier's checks and Money orders.

Fidelity:
Cash: Does not accept cash deposit at branch, nor at any ATM.
Mobile app: accepts Cashier's checks, but not Money orders.

Capital One:
Cash: Accepts cash deposit at Capital One ATMs, and Target stores (which have Cap One ATMs)
Mobile app: accepts Cashier's checks, but NOT Money orders.

PenFed:
Cash: According to rep, Allpoint ATMs accept cash deposits for PenFed. BUT I tried two Allpoint ATMs, but neither had a deposit option. Has anyone tried this?
Mobile app: Does NOT accept Cashier's checks, nor Money orders.

So overall, for cash deposits, Capital One has the advantage.
(If PenFed does indeed accepts deposits at Allpoint, that would be good too. But not sure if others have tried?)
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Didn't realize Capital One ATMs were in Targets. I guess I'm covered for my next jackpot. Thanks.
kayanco likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tev9999
Didn't realize Capital One ATMs were in Targets. I guess I'm covered for my next jackpot. Thanks.
It's new/recent development
Yoshi212 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.