Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Annual fee posting date vs date payment due

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annual fee posting date vs date payment due

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Question Annual fee posting date vs date payment due

If I have points earned through my credit card and I want to use them before my annual fee is due, do I have to use them before the date the annual fee posts or the date the payment is due for the annual fee?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by iowa guy
If I have points earned through my credit card and I want to use them before my annual fee is due, do I have to use them before the date the annual fee posts or the date the payment is due for the annual fee?
I think you answered your own question based upon the parameters that you set within that question.

In general, you can use your points as long as the account remains active (and in some cases, after....depends upon the program.) Due dates don't really play much into that other than if you choose to close the account prior to one of those dates.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:48 am

Unless your creditor will refund the fee shortly after posting you need to do so before posting if you're looking to avoid paying the fee. The payment due date isn't relevant to whether or not your fee is due. The payment due date is for the statement balance.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
What program is this for?

Generally what I do is wait for the annual fee to post. If I have any points left I will use/transfer them, and request annual fee refund and cancel card within 30 days of annual fee posting. I believe every program has at least a 30 day grace period to cancel within annual fee posting.

For UR programs (CSR & CSP) rather than cancelling the card I will downgrade to freedom or freedom unlimited.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

I am speaking about the Navy Federal Credit Union Rewards card.

The annual fee is due in 5 days but I could use the points before then. It sounds like I'm going to have to pay the annual fee because I waited too long. Darn.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I am speaking about the Navy Federal Credit Union Rewards card.

The annual fee is due in 5 days but I could use the points before then. It sounds like I'm going to have to pay the annual fee because I waited too long. Darn.
You could call 1-888-842-6328 and ask, huh?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Poster

The reason I don't call is I'm sure that they know what I'm trying to do. They'll tell me that it's against their policy in order to prevent me from using the points and cancelling their card and not paying the annual fee.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: Citi AAdvantage
Quick Question guys:

What's the best way to coax a credit card to waive the annual fee? Like,,, how should I tell them...,,, in a way that would render them to do so... Do I call shortly before I get hit with the fee and say that i was thinking of closing my account?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by rrayon
Quick Question guys:

What's the best way to coax a credit card to waive the annual fee? Like,,, how should I tell them...,,, in a way that would render them to do so... Do I call shortly before I get hit with the fee and say that i was thinking of closing my account?

Thanks for any feedback.
Call before the fee hits and, if nothing offered, call again after the fee posts.

Tell them you're considering closing the card and ask if there are any offers available on the card that might help you to offset the annual fee. Throw in some conversational tidbits about not using the card as much as you had expected, that you have another card that is meeting your needs better, etc.

You may not get the entire annual fee waived but you may get offers of a statement credit that partially offsets the fee or some amount of points (perhaps contingent upon spend) as a retention offer.
rrayon likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: Citi AAdvantage
Thank you so much for your answer. I appreciate the information.

Cheers, - Miami, Flyer
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:49 pm

The annual fee on my visa infinite hit a few days ago. Once I saw it post I called and explained I was considering my card provider for the year, and asked if they could do anything.
A few minutes later it was refunded. Not sure what level of spend it takes for this to happen.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by rstruthe
The annual fee on my visa infinite hit a few days ago. Once I saw it post I called and explained I was considering my card provider for the year, and asked if they could do anything.
A few minutes later it was refunded. Not sure what level of spend it takes for this to happen.
Perhaps letting us know your annual spend would give us some idea.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
Perhaps letting us know your annual spend would give us some idea.
Edealinfo12345 - I was slightly over $350k for the year, I'm sure at a much lower level you could have these fees reversed or discounted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.