Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

BofA's anti-churning policies: 2/3/4 (BofA cards), 3/12 or 7/12 (all banks)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BofA's anti-churning policies: 2/3/4 (BofA cards), 3/12 or 7/12 (all banks)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2020, 9:00 am

Have a checking account at BOA but was still declined for "too many inquiries". Unless I missed something, excluding an AU account, I can't count more than 6 inquiries in the last 24 months, only 2 of those 6 being in the last year which were one in last 30 days and the other in last 60 days. Only 4 new in the last 2 years. I typically don't pay a whole lot of attention to inquiries but rather to the # of cards opened, to avoid going over Chase's no more than 4/24. So now this is something else to keep track of!
Old Aug 13, 2020, 12:05 am

got premium rewards 2 months ago, first BOA in 18 months. then tried for biz cash rewards for one biz, denied. have 2 biz cards for another business already with them. waited 2 months, set up a biz checking account....denied again.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: spg gold
I applied for a Air France BOA credit card mid July and got denied. Called and they said too many opened accounts. So I opened a CD at a branch so I have a banking relationship. Also I checked and they had pulled Experian ( which was not good), so I now have a security freeze on my Experian report. Do you think these to actions will help? How long should I wait to apply again?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:58 pm

I got my Cash Back card about 5 months ago. Platinum Honors.
Can I apply again and get another Cash Back card? I don't mind not getting the signup bonus. Need more than $2,500 quarter limit on the Cash Back.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by gigadigit
I got my Cash Back card about 5 months ago. Platinum Honors.
Can I apply again and get another Cash Back card? I don't mind not getting the signup bonus. Need more than $2,500 quarter limit on the Cash Back.
This is in the terms for the Cash Rewards: "This card may not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period"

I think (not sure) you can get around it by applying for a different "flavor" of the card, such as the World Wildlife Fund.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by jkoenig51
I applied for a Air France BOA credit card mid July and got denied. Called and they said too many opened accounts. So I opened a CD at a branch so I have a banking relationship. Also I checked and they had pulled Experian ( which was not good), so I now have a security freeze on my Experian report. Do you think these to actions will help? How long should I wait to apply again?
Did you have any luck trying again? I think it would help depending on how many cards you've been opening up. Different limits for those with vs without a banking relationship have been reported.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Does this rule count only personal credit cards from the past 12m or business cards as well?
Old May 2, 2021, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
Does this rule count only personal credit cards from the past 12m or business cards as well?
Assuming you're applying for a personal card, they're going to count only cards that appear on your credit report. Business cards from most banks don't appear on personal credit reports, but business cards from some banks (like Discover still, and previously Capital One) can appear on personal credit reports.

Just check your own credit report for free, for example at Credit Karma, and in case you closed any cards already that you opened within the past 12m, check the closed cards section too. Credit Karma will show the open date of each card, but it won't sort by that date AFAIK, so you have to look through the list and find the cards that are within the past 12m and count them yourself. By checking your own credit report for all cards (open and closed) opened within 12m (BofA) or 24m (Chase), you can figure out exactly what count the bank will see.
Points Scrounger and CJ99 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
BofA Card Limit w/o Bank Account

Doctor of Credit reports a limit of 2 new cards opened across all banks in the last 12 months if you want to apply for a BofA card.

Q: Is this still in force? I've opened one new personal credit card, one personal charge card, and was added as an AU on another personal charge card in the past year.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:12 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
They give you a lot more leeway if you have a bank account with them.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Explore
Doctor of Credit reports a limit of 2 new cards opened across all banks in the last 12 months if you want to apply for a BofA card.

Q: Is this still in force? I've opened one new personal credit card, one personal charge card, and was added as an AU on another personal charge card in the past year.
Apparently it's done by counting inquiries, and inquires are on a per-bureau basis. So do both of your new cards inquiries show on the same bureau, or on different bureaus? (Most banks only do an inquiry on one bureau, but there are a few banks that may do inquiries on multiple bureaus. And at least bank, Amex, may not even do hard inquiries for existing customers when you apply for a new cards.)

And do AUs ever trigger inquiries?

Not all banks' anti-churning measures work the same way, and the details of how they work matter a lot. So just because you've heard of Chase 5/24 which uses actual new accounts showing on a credit report (where AUs do show) doesn't mean that every bank does it the same way.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by joejones
They give you a lot more leeway if you have a bank account with them.
Not necessarily. I have a bank account with them and I still got declined.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Anyone know if the BOA 2/3/4 rule is in full effect? Can we still get 3 cards in 2 months? Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:22 pm

If you are over the 3/12 level but under 7/12 and want to apply for, say, the AS biz card, do you need to have a business deposit account at BoA to move from 3/12 to 7/12 or does a personal BoA deposit account work?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by cyntax
If you are over the 3/12 level but under 7/12 and want to apply for, say, the AS biz card, do you need to have a business deposit account at BoA to move from 3/12 to 7/12 or does a personal BoA deposit account work?
Personal to get the 7/12

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.