Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Used almost all my points...credit card strategy advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Through about 2 years of signup bonuses and spending with the Citi Aadvantage Card, Amex SPG, Chase Sapphire, Barclay Aviator, and United Card I have been able to book 2 pretty nice vacations for my family (4 people). However, I am down to about 5,000 points on American Airlines and 20,000 on United. I seem to have all the cards that have offered the large sign-up bonuses. My wife also has several of these cards and she has been accumulating points but not enough for family-of-4 vacations. I was looking for advice for next steps and where I should go from here in order to re-up my miles?

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:07 pm

It seems like your only options at this point would be MS or organic spend. The good thing is that you did this over 2 years, so Citi's 2-year rule and 5/24 from Chase should hopefully be up soon so you could receive those signup bonuses again.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: Nothing spectacular
Just make sure your spending on all your cards in the most efficient way possible. 2+ miles for every dollar on pretty much everything. Also, make sure to utilize any and all bonus categories, dining and shopping portals, quarterly spend bonuses, etc. It will be slow from hereon out, but at least it will be sure.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Anthony Schmidt
I was looking for advice for next steps and where I should go from here in order to re-up my miles?
Simply stop.

FWIW - welcoming bonuses are not supposed to pay for travel of multiple persons. While you are successful in doing so, it also means you exhaust most of the available avenues.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
I would go for:

Chase Ink Reserve - 80K UR which can be converted to 80K UA miles
AS Personal 30K miles + AS Biz 30K miles
Amex Delta Gold 60K (go for the biz version if you want your report to look cleaner)
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MDJennings
It seems like your only options at this point would be MS or organic spend. The good thing is that you did this over 2 years, so Citi's 2-year rule and 5/24 from Chase should hopefully be up soon so you could receive those signup bonuses again.
I suspected this. To receive these cards again, would I have to cancel them or is downgrading them OK? Any recommendations on downgrades to cards without AF?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Anthony Schmidt
I suspected this. To receive these cards again, would I have to cancel them or is downgrading them OK? Any recommendations on downgrades to cards without AF?
A simple of the other threads on this board will give you all the answers you're looking for. ^
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by garykung
Simply stop.

FWIW - welcoming bonuses are not supposed to pay for travel of multiple persons. While you are successful in doing so, it also means you exhaust most of the available avenues.
A very good idea, you may burn a lot of bridges with multiple banks that you may need later in life. Sorry but most Banks catch on over time. The other option is buy tickets.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: American, United
moved- sorry.

Last edited by srallen; Sep 13, 2017 at 11:10 am
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by srallen
I'm not in the same situation, but I do seem to be out of credit card options. My current incentive is on a AAdvantage Platinum Select, which I can only do because I haven't opened or closed one of those in 24 months.

Exhausted options:

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select - just got, need to spend $1000, easy.
Chase British Airways - 50,000 Avios for me, 50,000 Avios for spouse, recently finished
Chase Sapphire Preferred - got the bonus the last year, not sure I need this card anymore.
Chase Ink Business Plus - got the bonus the last year, I use this card a lot.
Citi AAdvantage Gold - my oldest credit card, don't want to cancel it
CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select - been there, done that
Amex SPG - recently finished the 25,000 + 25,000 SPG points for self and spouse.
Barclaycard Aviator - done within last 24 months (me and spouse)
United Explorer - done recently

Not done:
Citi AAdvantage Executive - fee $450 for 75,000 miles, spend $7500, which I can do.

I have just over 900,000 miles in the bank split as follows:

United 60,000
AA 675,000
BA 400
Ultimate Rewards Points 170,000

the SPG points were transferred to AA, The BA points were spent on business class tickets to Europe, with a minor augmentation via Ultimate Rewards points.

I seldom travel and when I do it's using award tickets to Europe in Business Class. All of my miles are generated through credit card bonuses and spending.

I'm not sure what I can do next. I just applied for the new Chase Ink Business Preferred but expect to be turned down because of too many new Chase cards within the last 2 years.

I'm not seeing a good card for me at this point. I would love suggestions.
My only option I'm seeing is Chase Sapphire Preferred for spouse, or United Explorer for spouse...

Help?
I think I just replied to this in a different thread.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
I'm not in the same situation, but I do seem to be out of credit card options. My current incentive is on a AAdvantage Platinum Select, which I can only do because I haven't opened or closed one of those in 24 months.

Exhausted options:

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select - just got, need to spend $1000, easy.
Chase British Airways - 50,000 Avios for me, 50,000 Avios for spouse, recently finished
Chase Sapphire Preferred - got the bonus the last year, not sure I need this card anymore.
Chase Ink Business Plus - got the bonus the last year, I use this card a lot.
Citi AAdvantage Gold - my oldest credit card, don't want to cancel it
CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select - been there, done that
Amex SPG - recently finished the 25,000 + 25,000 SPG points for self and spouse.
Barclaycard Aviator - done within last 24 months (me and spouse)
United Explorer - done recently

Not done:
Citi AAdvantage Executive - fee $450 for 75,000 miles, spend $7500, which I can do.

I have just over 900,000 miles in the bank split as follows:

United 60,000
AA 675,000
BA 400
Ultimate Rewards Points 170,000

the SPG points were transferred to AA, The BA points were spent on business class tickets to Europe, with a minor augmentation via Ultimate Rewards points.

I seldom travel and when I do it's using award tickets to Europe in Business Class. All of my miles are generated through credit card bonuses and spending.

I'm not sure what I can do next. I just applied for the new Chase Ink Business Preferred but expect to be turned down because of too many new Chase cards within the last 2 years.

I'm not seeing a good card for me at this point. I would love suggestions.
My only option I'm seeing is Chase Sapphire Preferred for spouse, or United Explorer for spouse...

Help?
How about Amex Delta Gold for 60K miles?
BofA Alaska Airlines for 30K - not a big sign up bonus but most awards on Alaska cost less miles.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I'm not in the same situation, but I do seem to be out of credit card options.
No offense - shouldn't you open a new thread instead?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: American, United
Originally Posted by garykung
No offense - shouldn't you open a new thread instead?
Yes. I realized that after I posted in this tread. I'll delete my stuff from this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.