Wiki Posts
Search

Discover card options?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
Discover card options?

So we just started at a new daycare and the only credit card they take is Discover (kind of amazes me as I thought Discover had a higher charge rate vs others but whatever). I don't have a discover card but figure this is a reason to get one as I expect daycare to run around 8-10k a year. The question is which one.

Seems the two most popular right now are the IT CB and IT Miles. The IT Miles seems like the best option simply because it is essentially 1.5% CB it just has to be used towards travel purchases you made with the card, correct? The 5% back on the IT CB I am not sure is as useful as I already have the Amazon prime card but then again at least the first year for Q4 I could get 10% back at amazon but after the first year it seems like minimal benefit as we also have Chase Freedom.

So wondering if anyone here has any suggestions/advice? Are there other discover brand cards out there worth looking at?

thanks
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I don't think there any other cards.

For decades, Discover basically had one card at a time. They just updated it periodically.

Right now it's a more confusing, since for the first time they seem to have two.

But two is "a lot" of cards for them!

Meanwhile, while Discover CB and Chase Freedom both have rotating 5x categories, and sometimes have the same 5x categories, sometimes they have different 5x categories in the same quarter. For example, IIRC last year Chase and Discover had 5x on restaurants in different quarters. So Discover isn't always a duplicate of Freedom, even if it often is.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
There used to be another bank that issued Discover cards but I believe they stopped. I don't remember who they were, unfortunately, nor what rewards were offered.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by tmiw
There used to be another bank that issued Discover cards but I believe they stopped. I don't remember who they were, unfortunately, nor what rewards were offered.
Same bank, just changed names from Greenwood Trust Company to Discover Bank in 2000.

There used to be several cards, including Discover Card, Discover Card Private Issue (Annual Fee), Bravo Card.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I don't remember the actual bank but the cards had weird names like Matrix and horrendous fees and interest rates. Like First Premier. But worse.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by pattermj
So we just started at a new daycare and the only credit card they take is Discover (kind of amazes me as I thought Discover had a higher charge rate vs others but whatever). I don't have a discover card but figure this is a reason to get one as I expect daycare to run around 8-10k a year. The question is which one.

Seems the two most popular right now are the IT CB and IT Miles. The IT Miles seems like the best option simply because it is essentially 1.5% CB it just has to be used towards travel purchases you made with the card, correct? The 5% back on the IT CB I am not sure is as useful as I already have the Amazon prime card but then again at least the first year for Q4 I could get 10% back at amazon but after the first year it seems like minimal benefit as we also have Chase Freedom.

So wondering if anyone here has any suggestions/advice? Are there other discover brand cards out there worth looking at?

thanks
don't forget discover gives you double cashback/miles first year. so the 1.5% CB card is 3% for the first year.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
No, I don't think there any other cards.

For decades, Discover basically had one card at a time. They just updated it periodically.

Right now it's a more confusing, since for the first time they seem to have two.

But two is "a lot" of cards for them!

Meanwhile, while Discover CB and Chase Freedom both have rotating 5x categories, and sometimes have the same 5x categories, sometimes they have different 5x categories in the same quarter. For example, IIRC last year Chase and Discover had 5x on restaurants in different quarters. So Discover isn't always a duplicate of Freedom, even if it often is.
Doesn't Discover have a "gas and restaurant" card? Where it's 2% cash back on gas and restaurant purchases, and 1% on everything else capped every quarter.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
Thanks for info everyone, guess Discover really is limited to what I was seeing. I think we will go with the IT CB card with the hope that the rotating 5% aligns differently then the chase freedom.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by pattermj
Thanks for info everyone, guess Discover really is limited to what I was seeing. I think we will go with the IT CB card with the hope that the rotating 5% aligns differently then the chase freedom.
Even when they overlap, keep in mind that the 5% CB is only on the first $1500 of that category, for the whole quarter.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:49 pm

I wonder what Kindercare gets out of this. As far as I know they're the only 'Discover only' merchant left now that Sam's Club takes MasterCard.

Free processing? Just a discount? Other support like free equipment and things?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
I wonder what Kindercare gets out of this. As far as I know they're the only 'Discover only' merchant left now that Sam's Club takes MasterCard.

Free processing? Just a discount? Other support like free equipment and things?
A bunch of stock in Sears?

(Discover was launched by Sears at a time when Sears was America's biggest retailer. Boy, have things changed! Discover is no longer associated with Sears AFAIK.)
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
I know that Discover is not a popular card here on FT, but I have had mine for over 30 years now and have never encountered a problem that wasn't fixed immediately.

Mine is a CB card,which I use exclusively for the rotating 5% categories, along with my Freedom card.

Discover Deals often has some good offers also.

If you plan to redeem for travel,then you would be best to calculate your potential savings vs the CB version. Personally I have enough other cards that earn mileage and hotel points, that my Discover CB works better for me
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:28 pm

The Discover It card is effectively a 1% card while the Discover It Miles card is effectively a 1.5% card. Both can be redeemed for cash. Why would anyone get the It card over the It Miles card when both double after 12 months and the Miles card earns 50% more per $1 spent?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by freeflyin
I know that Discover is not a popular card here on FT, but I have had mine for over 30 years now and have never encountered a problem that wasn't fixed immediately.

Mine is a CB card,which I use exclusively for the rotating 5% categories, along with my Freedom card.

Discover Deals often has some good offers also.

If you plan to redeem for travel,then you would be best to calculate your potential savings vs the CB version. Personally I have enough other cards that earn mileage and hotel points, that my Discover CB works better for me
Ditto.

One add on for me. I can get extra cash at a WM with a small purchase, paying the card off by statement date. Nice loan if I am really busy.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Superorb
The Discover It card is effectively a 1% card while the Discover It Miles card is effectively a 1.5% card. Both can be redeemed for cash. Why would anyone get the It card over the It Miles card when both double after 12 months and the Miles card earns 50% more per $1 spent?
Because you get 5% on rotating categories with the Discover It card and when you double that makes it 10%.

10% > 3%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.