Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: yes
Originally Posted by trikotret
If you use some points and the rest you put on card, would the insurance cover you? Or you have to put the whole dollar amount on card to be covered?
honestly IDK. Petty sure all the T&C says you must pay “full fair” aka all of it to be covered, but that was back before they started doing mixed points/$$ redemptions through the portal. I mean technically if you pay $ for any part of it the transaction will be going through the visa network. They might just cover up to the $$ charged or not at all, idk. That would be something you’d have to ask them. I’d probably ask the HUCB and ask again just to be sure of the answer.
I pointed out that chase treats points redemptions like a cash booking and she just said she was aware of that but this is how USB works.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Breaking news: Two new "Altitude" cards from US Bank.

Altitude Go – No Annual Fee

• Card has no annual fee
  • Card earns the following rates:
    • 4x on Dining and Takeout
    • 2x on Grocery, Gas Stations, and Streaming Services
    • (?) I assume 1x everywhere else
  • “$15 Free month of streaming for annual streaming services”. I interpret this to mean that it has one $15 annual streaming services credit, but (likely) that you need to use the $15 in one shot – that’s my interpretation.
  • 0% intro APR for 12 months on purchases and balances transfer

Altitude Connect – $95 Annual Fee

• Card has $95 annual fee, fee is waived the first year
  • Card earns the following rates:
    • 5x on prepaid hotel and car rentals when booked with the Altitude Rewards Center
    • 4x on Travel and at Gas Stations
    • 2x on Dining, Takeout, Groceries, and Streaming Services
    • (?) I assume 1x everywhere else
  • “$30 Free month of streaming for annual streaming services”. I interpret this to mean that it has one $30 annual streaming services credit, but (likely) that you need to use the $30 in one shot – that’s my interpretation.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/us-ba...-full-details/
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:19 pm

I like the no annual fee one. It be nice if you can pool with points with us reserve. Then us Bank will have its own trifecta like Chase
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I like the no annual fee one. It be nice if you can pool with points with us reserve. Then us Bank will have its own trifecta like Chase
Yes, if they keep AR intact, and keep RTR redemptions at 1.5cpp, which may not be the case.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
Yes, if they keep AR intact, and keep RTR redemptions at 1.5cpp, which may not be the case.
I also read somewhere that RTR all cards including reserve going to be 1c and keep portal at 1.5. They probably pushing everyone to use portal. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:36 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I also read somewhere that RTR all cards including reserve going to be 1c and keep portal at 1.5. They probably pushing everyone to use portal. 🤷🏻‍♂️
That will end my interest in the card.

LAX
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:40 pm

We should dump all the points now via RTR, I think. They are already switched Flexperks to 1cpp, but not AR yet.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by nic3456
i just used the restaurant benefit at MIA two weeks ago with USB PP
and was counted one of the 4 visits?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by DH Jed
honestly IDK. Petty sure all the T&C says you must pay “full fair” aka all of it to be covered, but that was back before they started doing mixed points/$$ redemptions through the portal. I mean technically if you pay $ for any part of it the transaction will be going through the visa network. They might just cover up to the $$ charged or not at all, idk. That would be something you’d have to ask them. I’d probably ask the HUCB and ask again just to be sure of the answer.
I pointed out that chase treats points redemptions like a cash booking and she just said she was aware of that but this is how USB works.
I really disappointed with AR benefits if you compare them to CSR or CSP. The trip cancellation in the AR card doesn't cover for your immediate family member and now they suck with their Portal benefits. But at least you can use RTR to cover that.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:52 pm

Since the portal is often overpriced, that would be bad. Double-bad if they keep the silly RTR redemption restrictions for hotels and rental cars.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:52 am

Changes coming to US AR?

I guess it's a matter of time.

https://milestomemories.com/changes-...itude-reserve/

Last edited by trikotret; Mar 8, 2020 at 8:09 am
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:56 am

I would cancel immediately if they put the changes for option 2 into effect. Would be a complete POS.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by compddd
I would cancel immediately if they put the changes for option 2 into effect. Would be a complete POS.
Benefits of all premium cards are falling like autumn leaves, while the annual fees are getting raised. I've got rid of both Amex business and personal Platinums, CSR is on the way being downgraded to CSP, two CNB Crystals cancelled, AR ought to be my go-to premium card, and one of my favorites. Now, if they do it, I'll stay with Prestige, I guess, and for general spending I'll use Amex BBP, Citi DC and Priceline 2x (when abroad).

Last edited by yugi; Mar 8, 2020 at 11:50 am
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:08 pm

The 5x on dining with Card B earns better than the new Altitude Go. Making it a one-stop-shop card for travel and dining is a plus.

A straight $400 travel credit would be so much better than this Amex-style breakage.

About Card B: why would I want to stay at AirBnB if I get top status at Radisson, and if I'm staying at Radisson I get no benefit from the AirBnB credit. I understand Radisson wanting to get in on the credit card game, but Radisson doesn't have nearly the footprint of Hilton or Marriott so there may not be one where you want to travel. I'm not a fan of AirBnB generally, in part because late checkout is never a thing, though Radisson's late checkout is "upon request" which in my experience with hotels makes it a useless perk.

Because of the 5x dining Card B actually earns better than A for many usage scenarios, even considering the reduction in points value at redemption, though the implication that Card B's points cannot be redeemed for cash is not good. Perhaps that implication isn't intended.

Rewards Center credits aren't so great if, as Waller's Wallet showed, the Rewards Center is often overpriced.

Unlimited Priority Pass has been a stated bugaboo for many AR holders, and Card B delivers that. That's probably a big reason for the higher $495 annual fee, though whether the new PP benefit still includes restaurants is unstated.

Last edited by randian; Mar 8, 2020 at 7:38 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:40 pm

If these changes are true, then this card is pointless for me. I never used Airbnb and I'm not planning so there's no way I'm going to pay 345 annual fee. Only way I'll keep this card with these changes if they keep the travel credit as is. Basically the annual fee would be 95.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.