Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 2:08 pm

I just purchased a Hyatt gift card to test whether it will trigger the travel credit. Will report back in a week or so
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I called US bank and got 5000 points retention offer. Some people reported 10k offers at DoC. I was planning to keep the card anyway, but extra points are always welcome. This is one of my favorite cards.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by inY
But they haven't retroactively credited points yet for the period they screwed up.
They never credited me, but they gave me 5000 courtesy points for the trouble (which was way more than the discrepancy) so I let it go
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yugi
I called US bank and got 5000 points retention offer. Some people reported 10k offers at DoC. I was planning to keep the card anyway, but extra points are always welcome. This is one of my favorite cards.
Yeah, but in my opinion the annual fee is too high to keep the card for only 5000 points.

My renewal fee has now posted. For the last few weeks, my travel purchases have been triggering the statement credits for the upcoming membership year. I assume they won't try to claw back those credits if I cancel the card? If they'll give me 10000 bonus points, I might be inclined to keep the card and hope I can grab the additional travel credits again next year before renewal. I guess I won't know what my bonus offer is until I call.

BTW, if I do decide to cancel, what happens to my existing reward points? Do I have to spend them before I cancel? I have about $100 worth left. What's the best thing I can buy if I don't have immediate travel plans to use them on? My wife got the card a couple months after I did. Can I transfer my points to her somehow? Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, but in my opinion the annual fee is too high to keep the card for only 5000 points.

My renewal fee has now posted. For the last few weeks, my travel purchases have been triggering the statement credits for the upcoming membership year. I assume they won't try to claw back those credits if I cancel the card? If they'll give me 10000 bonus points, I might be inclined to keep the card and hope I can grab the additional travel credits again next year before renewal. I guess I won't know what my bonus offer is until I call.

BTW, if I do decide to cancel, what happens to my existing reward points? Do I have to spend them before I cancel? I have about $100 worth left. What's the best thing I can buy if I don't have immediate travel plans to use them on? My wife got the card a couple months after I did. Can I transfer my points to her somehow? Thanks.
No they won't claw back. I've seen reports on DoC site that some people got $325 then cancelled.
You can buy some airline ticket under $100, redeem via real-time rewards, then cancel the ticket.
The card is very useful for me, as it's basically 4.5% cashback on everything for $75 annual fee. To beat its closest rival, Priceline 2x on everything card I need to spend $6429 per year on it, which is not that much.

Last edited by yugi; Jun 5, 2018 at 10:39 am
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by yugi
I was offered 1000 and turned it down. I think my actual fee hits later this month so I'll call back at that time since I'll have more leverage.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
excellent

ok, maxed out the value a la DOC. very happy with the card now. Cancelled, awaiting refund check.

When can I churn and reopen card do you think?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:39 pm

For those of you that have received retention offers; are you calling and threatening to cancel or did you just ask for a retention offer? Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:49 am

Guys what is the cash back value of points? 1 cent for each point or less? I know Chase has this but American Express suck and it's less than that
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
Guys what is the cash back value of points? 1 cent for each point or less? I know Chase has this but American Express suck and it's less than that
1 cent per point. The minimum required for cash back is 5000 points ($50), and you have to redeem in multiples of 5000. A bit cumbersome and not the best value. I redeemed for travel, which gives you the best returns but I understand why some folks would prefer cash.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by rarerules
I just purchased a Hyatt gift card to test whether it will trigger the travel credit. Will report back in a week or so
Update: did not trigger the travel credit.
DaveH likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Annual fee hit a month earlier than last year which is annoying. I had a negative balance because of a return but the annual fee made it $0 almost. Should I cancel and ask for a $400 check or spend $400 and ask for a reversal of the fee?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:35 pm

USBANK Altitude - Churning

I am wondering anybody have tried to apply the Altitude card after closing the previous one?
If you got approved, are you considered as a new customer who qualifies the welcome bonus 50k bonus as well as the travel credit?

TIA
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:08 am

I don't think it matters. If you cancel they will refund the $400 and send you a check.

Originally Posted by slickvik
Annual fee hit a month earlier than last year which is annoying. I had a negative balance because of a return but the annual fee made it $0 almost. Should I cancel and ask for a $400 check or spend $400 and ask for a reversal of the fee?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: Elite status at local McDonalds, Carwash, and Post Office
Coming up on my annual fee renewal, what is the best option to redeem the $325 travel credit again before I close this card? I previously read that you should book a refundable hotel for that amount, then cancel the room. Not sure how that works out in the end, but might be worth a try. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.