Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Cards for Retired People

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Credit Cards for Retired People

I am newly retired and applied for the Barclay AA card with the hope of getting 40K AA miles. I have very good credit 790+ and no history with a Barclay card. I am ok financially but can't show a lot of income. I stated $60K in annual income which is a big drop from what my credit history would show. I have no debt. The Barclay website indicated they won't give me a card at this time. They are mailing an explanation.

My question relates not only to Barclay but credit cards in general. Can retirees get credit cards without that steady flow of income from employment?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Winner
I am newly retired and applied for the Barclay AA card with the hope of getting 40K AA miles. I have very good credit 790+ and no history with a Barclay card. I am ok financially but can't show a lot of income. I stated $60K in annual income which is a big drop from what my credit history would show. I have no debt. The Barclay website indicated they won't give me a card at this time. They are mailing an explanation.

My question relates not only to Barclay but credit cards in general. Can retirees get credit cards without that steady flow of income from employment?
You should probably wait for the letter, and see the reason for the declination. If it's insufficient income, then you know that Barclays -- or at least this particular Barclays product -- is not for you. But I'm sure that plenty of credit-card issuers will open new accounts for retirees with a (verifiable) $60,000 annual income.
​​​​​​
Make sure that you are including all sources of income in the total, including -- if applicable -- Social Security benefits, IRA distributions, 401(k) distributions, etc.

Out of curiosity, why did you apply for the Barclays AA card, instead of the Citi AA card, which has a higher sign-up bonus, and a first-year annual fee waiver?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
If you look through the various Barclay threads, you will see that they have been very hit and miss lately. In my wife's last Barclay application, they wanted a ton of identification information sent to them. Wound up getting approved but others, who had the same request, were denied. No real reason one way or another.

As for being retired, that should not be a problem. My wife and I are both retired and have had no problem getting Citi, Chase and AMEX cards.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...stated $60K in annual income which is a big drop from what my credit history would show
Credit reports do not include any information about income. However, if you have large credit lines (from other issuers), based on your previous income, Barclays might think that it is disproportionate to your current income. I agree that you should wait to see the stated reason(s) for the decline, it could be something entirely unexpected.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Retired

Thanks for the info folks. I knew I could get some good advice here.

I would dump the AA Citi with a $95 renewal and instead paid $95 for the AA Barclay with 40K bonus miles.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Thanks for the info folks. I knew I could get some good advice here.

I would dump the AA Citi with a $95 renewal and instead paid $95 for the AA Barclay with 40K bonus miles.
If I am reading this correctly and you have a Citi AA card that you plan to close, you may want to consider requesting that it be converted to a no fee card. I converted one of mine to a Double Cash card and have been very pleased with the 2% cash back.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
The Barclay website indicated they won't give me a card at this time. They are mailing an explanation.
I was initially not "auto approved" for my Aviator in December. They wanted to confirm my address even though I had an open Arrival Plus and a closed Hawaiian card on my account.

I sent copies of ID, utility bill.

Wait for the letter or call and ask what is the reason, they'll tell you.

Probably not income related
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
It seems like Barclay has been requesting identification verification more and more these days. Many times, even after sending in the verifications, you get denied.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

I just heard from them and they are requesting more info to confirm my ID. Driver license, utility bill, etc.

After making me jump through these hoops they better accept me.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter

I'm retired with an income less than yours, and I have no problems getting credit cards from Barclays or anyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.